The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 8, 2022, 06:33 PM   #51
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilotanker22
.284 Win is one that I considered heavily. However, there are not many rifles chambered for it from the factory.
I wouldn't let that stop me from owning a .284 if you wanted one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO
As a reloader, the beauty of the .280AI over the .284 Win and the 7mm Mag is significant. I have two batches of 100 cases for mine. Those will last for a lot longer than the barrel will.
You win!
Old October 14, 2022, 12:58 PM   #52
std7mag

@Nathan,

The Wolfe spring kit lowers the trigger pull weight. Also has a stiffer firing pin spring.
That & some judicial honing nets me a crisp trigger at 2lb.

So wait....
If i'm reading the previous posts correctly, your telling us that the greater case capacity of a 280AI over a 284Win is going to give you longer barrel life?

And it's still NOT a 7mm Rem Mag!
If you throw up velocities equalling one with the 280AI, i'd say one of 2 things.
1) Calling BS!
2) Your loading it stupidly, dangerously over pressure!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...

Last edited by std7mag; October 14, 2022 at 01:03 PM.
Old October 15, 2022, 07:14 AM   #53
stagpanther

My impression of the 284 win is that when it was introduced it was not really intended to handle the yet-to-be developed heavier/higher BC bullets; so shorter COLs and slower twist barrels hampered it's competitiveness on the market initially. Once wildcatters figured out that if you take away the COL limitations and make a faster twist to stabilize bigger bullets--it is in fact an excellent base cartridge. But that's just my take on it.
Old October 15, 2022, 07:28 AM   #54
std7mag

What really hampered it's introduction is the firearms Winchester introduced it in.
A lever action & a semi auto.
Had they introduced it in their Model 70, with a shorter throat, i think it would have caught on better.

Then some idiot gun rag writer was trying to compare it the 270 Win with non existant bullets for the 270 & saying it offers no gain.

Took F-Class shooters using it in the form of the 6.5-284 for it to catch on.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...