The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 18, 2022, 06:25 PM   #1
44 AMP
Staff

Military two stage trigger

A question came up, that I thought I'd ask here,

When (approx) did the two stage trigger show up, and which rifles were the first to use it?

I think it was with the early bolt action repeaters, I know the later infantry rifles all used it, (German, Russian, British US and about everyone else).

With US service rifles, I think the Krag was the first, the Trapdoor Springfield doesn't have one. ALL our later design service rifles use two stage triggers.

SO, if you know, please enlighten me (and the rest of us in the process )

Thanks
Old May 18, 2022, 06:47 PM   #2
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
A question came up, that I thought I'd ask here,

When (approx) did the two stage trigger show up, and which rifles were the first to use it?

I think it was with the early bolt action repeaters, I know the later infantry rifles all used it, (German, Russian, British US and about everyone else).

With US service rifles, I think the Krag was the first, the Trapdoor Springfield doesn't have one. ALL our later design service rifles use two stage triggers.

SO, if you know, please enlighten me (and the rest of us in the process )

Thanks
I have a few gew88 commission rifles. They have 2-stage trigger. So it had been popular before 1888.

I love 2-stage triggers. Here I mean real 2-stage. Some triggers feel like 2-stage but they are actually 1-stage. Triggers in 1911 .45acp and M1 carbine are 2 examples. Real 2-stage trigger can be visualized as a variation of set trigger. It is safe and offers superb trigger pull.

Unlike Europeans, Americans are not that fond of 2-stage. Converting the original 2-stage to 1-stage is almost a must for sporterizing a milsurp gun.

I think the mil-spec trigger on today's AR-15 is 1-stage, not 2-stage.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 18, 2022, 07:03 PM   #3
gwpercle

My model 1895 7X57 mauser I know has a two stage trigger . As does a friends 1893 Mauser . We spent a little time modifying them into single stage triggers after reading how to do it in a 1960's magazine article ... Just call us Bubba but we were in high school and wanted to our own "sporterized" deer rifles . Used the military stock and did a right nice job of it . Even handloaded our own ammo .
Gary
Old May 18, 2022, 07:03 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

I believe the first that I am aware of is the Lebel 1886.
But Mauser definitely made it a standard feature on battle rifles. Without Mauser, I doubt we would have seen it on US rifles and those of the Br*tish empire.
Old May 18, 2022, 07:19 PM   #5
Scorch

My 1877 vintage Amberg arsenal Mauser IG 1871 has a two-stage trigger. Not quite like a lot of other two stage triggers, long take up then comes up to a wall. I'm not sure about Chassepot or Comblain or Dreyse, but pretty much every old centerfire cartridge military rifle I have ever handled has a two-stage trigger or long take-up.
Old May 18, 2022, 08:37 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Comblain has a traditional, direct notched hammer and trigger interface. Not really two-stage unless you count creep from bad geometry.

I do not know about the Chassepot or Dreyse.