The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 21, 2022, 06:01 PM   #1
Mr.XD9mm

German Luger magazine prices?

Good evening I was wondering what a German Luger Mgazine in it appears to be aluminum in color would be worth? I cannot make out any markings on it yet but gonna clean it up and see if there's any numbers or marks that might date it's age?

Just wanted to get a ballpark estimate on something like this. I can tell y'all that the magazine follower and spring are still tight and it loads like a new age.
Old April 22, 2022, 12:04 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Luger (P.08) production ended in 1942. Mauser made some new ones in the 70s and there have been other short lived copies.

Luger magazines have nearly as many variants as the pistols themselves, and also exist at aftermarket mags as well.

Some were marked, some were not. Some were numbered to the gun, some were not. The bottoms are made of different materials in different models (wood, aluminum, plastic)

You might have something rare and historically valuable, or you might have something made by Triple K in 1969....

Figuring that out matters to the value.

Original Luger mags with a silver (aluminum) finish are referred to as "tinned". An aftermarket repro mag might be made of aluminum.

Look for a tiny stylized eagle stamp (might be incomplete) as a clue to its era, but be aware that fakes abound.

Good Luck!
Old April 22, 2022, 11:13 PM   #3
Mr.XD9mm

Thank you for your information. The magazine had some light rust on it on small parts but completely rusted all over. I searched all over the magazine but didn't see any markings or eagles anywhere. I have a jewelers loupe and will look at it closer. The magazine is of heavy weight and silver in color but has rusted on a portion of it. Any other special spots where I might look? I tried posting pictures but it kept telling me error and something about a key. I could email you pictures if it would help I'll have a booth at a Houston gun show for my Texas Blue Courage Company LLC,and wanted to bring and know ahead a time what to list it as. Thanks in advance.
Old April 25, 2022, 06:50 AM   #4
highpower3006

The early Luger magazines had a nickel finish on the magazine body and a wooden base. Those produced by Mauser in the thirties had the body blued and the base was made out of aluminum. I believe that Krieghoff made magazines were still nickled throughout their production. Military magazines will have the pistol's serial number on the base. Commercial magazines usually have no markings on them.

Without pictures, quite frankly, there is pretty much no way to identify what mag you have.
Old April 25, 2022, 11:48 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Even with good pictures it may not be possible to positively identify. Markings can be, and have been faked.

There have been a few aftermarket magazine makers who have done Luger magazines.

Even good pics might not be enough. With things like this, in order to be honest, I have to take the "lab tech's testimony" as my out.

And what I mean by that is the testimony usually given by "experts" almost never flatly states what is. They state what their results "are consistent with".

Which is not exactly the same thing.