The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 19, 2021, 07:25 PM   #1
ninosdemente

Ear muffs vs Ear buds

I have been using ear muffs and do like them as I do get a sense of hearing protection as it covers my whole ear. I have the Walker's Razor Quad Electronic Muffs which at this point have been my "expensive" muffs I have to date.

Have had minor difficulties where bluetooth as it cuts off even when my phone is in my pocket. But not a deal breaker. What I haven't liked is after wearing them for nearly all day is my ears do get very uncomfortable and do sweat. Have been somewhat interested in ear buds but I have been skeptical in getting a pair as I don't how much truly protection or to what extent will it protect.

For those that have used them or currently do have a pair. What are your opinions and what do you guys use? Is this where one shouldn't go cheap on a pair as well? Not to say I was wanting to buy a $30 pair. Looking for something that has same functions what I currently have. Are there ear buds that have a higher noise reduction rating of 23 dB? That is what the Walkers are rated.

Thanks in advanced.
Old December 19, 2021, 08:04 PM   #2
sako2

I don't have them but these might be what you're looking for.https://www.amazon.com/ISOtunes-Spor...P5Q9K347W3KTX1 They come with 4 different size plugs.
Old December 20, 2021, 08:45 PM   #3
Shadow9mm

I use standard muffs and plugs. I have plugs rated at 32 and muffs rated at 30. From what I understand sound can be conducted through the soft tissue in your ears, not just the ear canal. I have found that, while slightly lower rated, the muffs seems to deaden sound better vs plugs. But as you said, they can be less comfortable and hotter. I think either are adequate to protect your hearing.
Old December 21, 2021, 09:46 AM   #4
AirForceShooter

Muffs work better at reducing sound.
Plugs are more comfortable.

That is all

AFS
Old December 21, 2021, 11:38 AM   #5
Pahoo

Use both; together as needed

Quote:
Shadow9mm;
I use standard muffs and plugs. I have plugs rated at 32 and muffs rated at 30.
As replied, "Shadow" uses both. I also use both and there are time when I use both at the same times. The DB-rating is a good point to remember as they are additive in providing greater protection. It takes time and practice but your ears will will tell you what they need !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old December 21, 2021, 02:47 PM   #6
Erno86

I try to double-up with plugs and muffs.

It is the cartilage in your ear tragus, that transmits sound directly to your eardrum.

I find that moving my safety glass temples above and out of way from my ear muffs, provides me with less pain around the ears. It also helps with a better sound seal...while using muffs.

--- George Orwell
Old December 21, 2021, 02:50 PM   #7
Wag

Mostly, I use both but using muffs interferes with my ability to position a rifle properly (I'm open to suggestions).

--Wag--
Old December 21, 2021, 02:59 PM   #8
Erno86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wag View Post
Mostly, I use both but using muffs interferes with my ability to position a rifle properly (I'm open to suggestions).

--Wag--
Try mounting the rifle or shotgun...by bringing the gun up slightly forward of your shoulder pocket (1,2 or 3 inches?), then bring it straight back. If the gun hits your muffs while performing that maneuver...you're doing it wrong.

And don't bring or more your head to the gun when you mount it. Let the gun come naturally to your cheek weld.

--- George Orwell
Old December 21, 2021, 03:10 PM   #9
FITASC

For shotgun, electronic muffs only; for metallic it is foam plugs and muffs;n even with both a few shots with no protection and years of loud music through my headphones have left me with constant "ear crickets" or "snare drum" - and it NEVER goes away or gets better.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 21, 2021, 03:14 PM   #10
Wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erno86 View Post
Try mounting the rifle or shotgun...by bringing the gun up slightly forward of your shoulder pocket (1,2 or 3 inches?), then bring it straight back. If the gun hits your muffs while performing that maneuver...you're doing it wrong.

And don't bring or more your head to the gun when you mount it. Let the gun come naturally to your cheek weld.
Thank you, Sir!

--Wag--
Old December 21, 2021, 04:37 PM   #11
Erno86

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
For shotgun, electronic muffs only; for metallic it is foam plugs and muffs;n even with both a few shots with no protection and years of loud music through my headphones have left me with constant "ear crickets" or "snare drum" - and it NEVER goes away or gets better.
I find that taking "Lipo Flavonoid Plus (#1 Doctor Recommended For Tinnitus) has helped reduce the volume of the ringing in my ears --- Which I've had for 40 years or so.

--- George Orwell
Old December 25, 2021, 08:39 PM   #12
Shadow9mm

Personally, I use muffs most of the time and muffs and plugs around rifles.
Old December 26, 2021, 10:03 AM   #13
jcj54

Muffs with rifles

I use the Peltor ShotgunnerII when shooting rifle, they have relief scallops on the bottom of the domes that provide stock clearance. When shooting highpower I add foam plugs too fir added protection. This has worked well for me for nearly 40 years of competition.
There are other brands now which have the cutout for stock clearance now.
Old December 26, 2021, 10:11 AM   #14
RUT

I use plugs only for shotgun, and plugs + muffs for pistol. Muffs just don't do it for me for shotgunning...they get in the way, pure and simple.

Last edited by RUT; December 26, 2021 at 11:17 AM.
Old December 26, 2021, 10:38 AM   #15
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erno86

I don't see how that can be. The bottom of my cheekbone is well above the bottom of my ear, and bring the rifle to my head leaves the butt stock above my shoulder.

I've found reasonable comfort and function by sliding the strong side muff up my ear to the bottom of the muff cup presses the plug into my ear, while leaving the weak (left) side of the muff in a normal position with the volume on the muffs turned up.
Old December 27, 2021, 12:41 PM   #16
Erno86

"The first move: The gun comes out toward the target, not up to your face or your shoulder where you'll get tangled up."

source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUGcGpYckOg

--- George Orwell
Old December 27, 2021, 03:24 PM   #17
RC20

I use Muffs and Plugs. One is not exclusive to the other.

Did it for years and then our safety video began to talk about using both (high noise environment, for me Diesel Generators and Fire Pumps and shooting of course)

Lawn mowing, snow blowing, just plugs, the machines are not that noisy.
Old December 29, 2021, 03:10 AM   #18
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erno86
"The first move: The gun comes out toward the target, not up to your face or your shoulder where you'll get tangled up."

source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUGcGpYckOg
Erno, my attention was drawn more by:

Quote:
And don't bring or [move] your head to the gun when you mount it. Let the gun come naturally to your cheek weld.
The man in that video is shooting up at a 45 degree angle and he is hitting his muff with the stock.

I am a fellow of normal height. If I bring a rifle up to my cheek while aiming horizontally, the stock sits on top of my shoulder. In order to use the stock on a rifle it is necessary for me to my head to the rifle. That's when the interference with muffs about which people complain happens.
Old December 29, 2021, 08:37 AM   #19
stuckinthe60s

plugs dont marr your long guns stock.
muffs give me a headache due to the pressure to hold them snug on my ears.
I speak from YEARS of having to wear them while working on aircraft carriers.
plugs don't interfere with glasses either. muffs push in on the stems of my glasses, adding to discomfort.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old February 20, 2022, 12:09 AM   #20
Linker

Hey Erno86 I believe I will try the lipo flavanoid plus. I have had the ringing in my left ear now for a few years. Just looked it up thanks for the info.
Old February 20, 2022, 05:49 PM   #21
Wildernesshunter

I have moved to noise cancelling buds.... and listen to music while I shoot. I have found the muffs really interfere with the gun stocks I shoot, when pressing cheek to stock.

Old February 23, 2022, 12:50 PM   #22
Schlitz 45

I'll do both when it's cold out but I can't do muffs when it gets hot-makes my ears sweat to much.
Old February 23, 2022, 08:12 PM   #23
Pathfinder45

I use foam earplugs rated at 34dB. They work really well. I run chainsaws, tree-service chipper, and I like shooting. The only times I've needed to put muffs over my plugs is when somebody else is using a muzzle brake near me.
Even then the blast is unacceptable.
I hate muzzle brakes; throw yours away!
Wouldn't it be great if suppressors were deregulated and encouraged?