The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 20, 2022, 08:59 PM   #26
FresnoVince

You make a good point, though Etta Place supposedly had excellent teeth, however she managed it.
Old September 24, 2022, 12:27 PM   #27
Ricklin

A very few

There are a few back in those days. Good genetics really helps. Not a dentist, but make my living that way. White teeth are not natural, there are a very few but for the most part, lots O yellow and missing teeth was the norm.

Heck still is in a lot of places.
Old September 24, 2022, 04:15 PM   #28
Jim Watson

Old pictures, Etta was right attractive. Most women of the day look pretty rough.
Old September 24, 2022, 10:15 PM   #29
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Old pictures, Etta was right attractive. Most women of the day look pretty rough.
There were a lot of attractive women in the old west. At least in their younger days.
Old September 24, 2022, 10:44 PM   #30
FresnoVince

Etta as in life

Here is a quick view at what she really looked like. I had her photo colorized and for the first time gave people an idea of how she really looked. In the process, I also discovered they were apparently really married as working on the photo brought out that she wears both a wedding and engagement ring. (Traditionally, it was thought they just lived together and the B&W images just looked like a single ring until I started with sepia, which changed the contrast and revealed two rings clearly.) It also revealed she had a ribbon on the top of her hair, and that--in an example of sentimentality--she incorrectly wears a gold necklace atop a scarf, which a woman would not normally do in the way she does. Clearly, the necklace had sentimental value and she wanted to show it off so she draped it over the scarf.

Unfortunately, she does not wear the bracelet I have that I believe was hers, but I believe she got that in 1904 during the World's Fair she attended

Last edited by FresnoVince; September 24, 2022 at 10:49 PM.
Old September 24, 2022, 11:11 PM   #31
Hawg

Some people say her real name was Ann Bassett.

Old September 25, 2022, 06:07 AM   #32
FresnoVince

That's true and they look a lot alike in THAT photo (not others) but Ann claimed she knew EP, not that she WAS EP, and the way she made up stories for attention, if the thought ever crossed her mind to equate herself w/EP, she would have shouted it from the housetops.

We also know her timeline, and she was known to be in Colorado at a time EP was known to be in Argentina so they cannot have been the same person. But I see how someone could compare the two photos
Old February 18, 2023, 01:12 PM   #33
Hawg

Been awhile but I came across this and remembered this thread. A modified Whitney Kennedy said to have been found where they were killed along with some letters to Butch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOnDzeLOlsE