The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 13, 2018, 08:13 AM   #1
dontcatchmany

Looking for a "toy" training semi handgun

Is there such a thing as a training handgun? One that can be used to practice grip, trigger press, trigger reset, etc.

A gun that does not fire but has a trigger pull and click and reset without racking a slide.

I guess I am lazy and racking the slide on a real pistol becomes tiresome.
Old February 13, 2018, 08:19 AM   #2
kraigwy

Yes,

http://www.blueguns.com/default.asp?

Blue training guns. You can find one that matches just about any hand gun made. I use them a lot in my Hand Gun Classes.

There would be no mistaking if the gun is loaded, or that its a real gun.

Also great for taking to the gun shop to try to find a holster for your hand gun. Practice drawing, grip or what ever you want.
Old February 13, 2018, 08:42 AM   #3
dontcatchmany

Thanks! I have seen those, but can you tell me if it has an actual trigger pull/click/reset?

I can not seem to find any data or reviews that talk about he trigger pull/press. The pictures seem to show a plastic trigger that does not move.....but the pictures are not very clear.

Thanks again for any data that you can provide.
Old February 13, 2018, 09:26 AM   #4
gnystrom

Look at SIRT pistols. They have them in three different configurations and we have been using them for years without issue. The simplest version works best for us. Laser dot shows POI and they really teach one how to control the trigger without disturbing the sight picture.
Being a Glock or M&P they will allow you to safely practice drawing and firing.

They are NOT toys and appear to be expensive but considering the ammo cost and the ability to practice with a holster they are worth twice the price paid.

https://nextleveltraining.com/produc...ning-pistol-2/
Old February 13, 2018, 10:28 AM   #5
Kemikos

You can get a "gas blowback" type airsoft pistol that matches the operation of nearly any gun. If you only want it for non-firing training, you can partially block the barrel so that the slide will operate properly without bb's (similar in concept to the blank firing adapter that you see on display rifles). That gives you a 1:1 replica of your firearm, with all the controls in the same places, and as a bonus, the slide operation will give you direct feedback when you pull the trigger. Because the magazines are the correct size and shape, you can practice reloads too.
Old February 13, 2018, 03:28 PM   #6
Ordinary_guy

Highly recommend an airsoft gun as Kemikos mentions. Use a replica of my real one and can for practise at home without going to the range. The practise have given me an edge sometimes at competitions. You can also practise quick draw safely. If you use the same holster but with the airsoft version you can practise all you like and push the envelope a bit without worrying about safety, and also include pulling the trigger and set some targets at home.
Old February 13, 2018, 07:29 PM   #7
GarandTd

I agree with the airsoft recommendations. I have a cheaper plastic spring loaded airsoft that is a Taurus pt92 replica. For actual firing, the slide must be manual worked for each shot, but if you just pull the trigger, the hammer draws back and releases. I also get to do malfunction drills with it because, occasionally, it double feeds and jams up. There are airsoft version s of just about any firearm available. I don't believe the trigger weight on mine is comparable to the real thing.
Old February 13, 2018, 11:06 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcatchmany
Is there such a thing as a training handgun? One that can be used to practice grip, trigger press, trigger reset, etc.

A gun that does not fire but has a trigger pull and click and reset without racking a slide.
In a word ... no.

This is only possible if your "real" gun is a double action and you buy a facsimile of it. I don't think there's any such thing as a double action facsimile of a single action handgun.
Old February 14, 2018, 10:53 AM   #9
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcatchmany View Post
Any gun that can be shot double action will work...
Old February 15, 2018, 10:25 PM   #10
CDR_Glock

I use an NLT SIRT trainer with a G-Sight app on an iPad, an IDPA Target, and tripod .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old February 15, 2018, 11:40 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

http://www.replicagunsdirect.com/

https://blankgunsdirect.com/

https://replicaarmorydirect.com/
Old February 16, 2018, 11:26 AM   #12
Pahoo

Look at LaserLyte

Quote:
Is there such a thing as a training handgun?
I own abut three trainers and my favorite is the LaserLyte. It has a number of feature that help in training. Check out this current thread and then Google it.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593535

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...er&_sacat=7301

Be Safe !!!
Old February 16, 2018, 01:29 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

"...without racking a slide..." Any pistol with a hammer. Doesn't matter if it's DA or SA. It's called dry fire practice . And it has been a standard, well known, training technique since forever. What your practicing is breathing, sight picture and trigger control.
Old February 18, 2018, 11:48 AM   #14
cw308

On a DAO auto racking the slide an taping the mag is also good practice , I have a laser on my grip but I ordered a LaserLyte Universal laser that fits 38 - 45 caliber firearms , I can also use it in a 38 snub . It's sound activated .

Chris
Old February 18, 2018, 10:17 PM   #15
Kemikos

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
"...without racking a slide..." Any pistol with a hammer. Doesn't matter if it's DA or SA. It's called dry fire practice . And it has been a standard, well known, training technique since forever. What your practicing is breathing, sight picture and trigger control.
But if it's SAO (1911, some internal-hammer autos, etc) you'll still need to work the hammer (if it's exposed) or the slide (if it's not) between trigger pulls.
Old February 18, 2018, 10:40 PM   #16
cw308

Are you saying you only want to train on your trigger press with a laser . Alot more things to train on then just the trigger . I would think it's best to train with the gun you carry.
Old March 6, 2018, 05:40 AM   #17
collector rob

Check out some blowback CO2 bb or pellet pistols. Lots of fun in the garage or the backyard.

https://www.airgundepot.com/co2-air-...l#blowback=Yes