The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 1, 2018, 06:37 AM   #1
SauerGrapes

Looking for a new 22cal handgun.

Now that I've been able to stock pile some 22 ammo again, I have been thinking about a 2nd 22cal handgun for range and maybe some steel or bowling pin shooting.

I have a plain jane Ruger mk3 with a Burris dot on it. I have an xtra Burris I will probably put on it.

I'm really kinda wide open right now as to what to get. Only thing I can think of that is a deal breaker is a mag release located somewhere other than the traditional location.

I've also considered a caliber exchange for one of my Sig p226s.
I have even thought about the S&W M&P22. So polymer is another option. Like I said, pretty much have no direction.

What's your favorite 22 and what do you like about ?

Budget: $500ish

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old January 1, 2018, 06:48 AM   #2
darkgael

Do you own a 1911? If so, I highly recommend a .22 conversion made by either Nelson Custom Guns or Marvel Precision. Within your budget and marvelously accurate.
Old January 1, 2018, 08:02 AM   #3
Targa

If I already had the Mark III, I would be looking at a revolver.
Old January 1, 2018, 08:15 AM   #4
NoSecondBest

A revolver is out if you're looking at steel and bowling pins. Last year I bought a S&W Victory and put a Vortex Venom on it and it's a pretty slick little gun. It will shoot five shot groups sub .5" at twenty-five yards with good ammo on a regular basis. I owned two S&W model 41's back when I was shooting major competition and the new Victory is equally as accurate as either of the model 41's. So far it's been utterly reliable and the trigger is pretty decent as well. It's right at your price point. Take a look at one.
Old January 3, 2018, 09:14 PM   #5
Motownstan

Another like for the S&W Victory, accurate and not ammo sensative.
Old January 4, 2018, 06:31 AM   #6
ms6852

My recommendation would be the Browning Buck or the Smith & Wesson Victory. In my opinion the browning, S&W, and ruger, they are equally accurate handguns.
Old January 4, 2018, 05:05 PM   #7
Earthling2112

have a Ruger SP 101 in .22. Double action has a very heavy trigger but that is the only downside. It's accurate, easier to clean and isn't finicky about what ammo you use.
Old January 4, 2018, 06:04 PM   #8
GarandTd

I like the Victory, but have no experience with the others. My next purchase is going to be the S&W m&p 22 compact, but that is less of a target gun than the Buckmark, Victory, or Mark I-IV.
Old January 4, 2018, 06:12 PM   #9
tallball

My Buck Mark is extremely accurate and a joy to shoot.
Old January 4, 2018, 06:17 PM   #10
TrueBlue711

I vote for a .22 clone of whatever other handgun(s) you have. If you have a S&W M&P, get the M&P22. If you have a Sig 226, get the Sig Mosquito. Etc, etc. Will give you double the practice for your pistol of choice.
Old January 4, 2018, 07:52 PM   #11
GarandTd

I mentioned the what, but not the why. Sorry bout that. I like the all stainless steel barrel and frame of the Victory, including it's heft. I like the modular construction of the pistol and the ease of disassembly. It includes an accessory rail with a rear sight notch that mounts in place of the rear adjustable sight. It's accurate and easy to shoot. It's not terribly picky on ammo. And finally, the S&W lifetime repair policy. Oh...sights are fiber optic if you're into that.
Old January 4, 2018, 09:15 PM   #12
peacefulgary

I just got a Ruger SR22 for Christmas and took it to the range yesterday.
It was a lot of fun!
Old January 5, 2018, 12:26 PM   #13
bassJAM1

Quote:
A revolver is out if you're looking at steel and bowling pins. Last year I bought a S&W Victory and put a Vortex Venom on it and it's a pretty slick little gun. It will shoot five shot groups sub .5" at twenty-five yards with good ammo on a regular basis. I owned two S&W model 41's back when I was shooting major competition and the new Victory is equally as accurate as either of the model 41's. So far it's been utterly reliable and the trigger is pretty decent as well. It's right at your price point. Take a look at one.
I don't understand this at all. Why would it matter in the least?

Between my Mark I target and Buckmark, I slightly prefer my Buckmark.

But what I really want is a S&W 17 or 617. After shooting my FIL's 617 I fell in love with it.
Old January 5, 2018, 01:23 PM   #14
NoSecondBest

Quote:
I don't understand this at all. Why would it matter in the least?
Couple of reasons. Most of the time shooting steel plates and bowling pins are timed speed events. The revolver loses simply due to three things: trigger (usually, double action isn't all that easy to do), capacity (six is usually the limit in a revolver), speed of reloading (even speed loaders aren't as fast as a magazine change). I shot competition for years and at many big shoots. I have had to use a revolver a couple of times while my auto was down for some type of repair, and I can assure you it's a real handicap. FWIW, I have had several custom built revolvers made for me and I can make a fair comparison. On two of three times I had to use the revolver due to my auto being out action I ran the events. On the third try I came up short by one shot simply because of one miss and that required another reload. I only ever saw one other competitor use a revolver in the game I was shooting, and he ran the event. He was also one of the top shooters in the country. Revolvers are handicapped simply by design. I like them a lot, but you need the right tool for the job.
Old January 5, 2018, 01:38 PM   #15
aarondhgraham

Hello SauerGrapes,,,

When one makes a post like this,,,
You get every handgun ever manufactured,,,
Usually it's the favorite make/model of the responder.

I'm going to try something different,,,
Ask yourself a few questions.

First, divide the types into target style and duty style pistols,,,
This will lower the number of choices somewhat.

You did mention a conversion kit for "one of" your Sigs,,,
This is a valid way to go and stay with something familiar to you,,,
I've heard and read nothing but good about the Sig rimfire conversions.

If you decide you want a target style pistol,,,
There really are only four makes that are worth considering,,,
Ruger, S&W, Browning, & Beretta all make several pistols you might like.

You should go to each website and peruse their offerings,,,
Note the ones that make you smile then find a sample to hold in your hand.

Personally, I think the process of research and then the shopping are enjoyable.

So get on-line and do some surfing,,,
Then go find one to hold in your hand.

Don't forget to let us know what you finally decide on.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 5, 2018, 01:47 PM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

FWIW, I shot a Ruger Semiautomatic .22 (before they called them "Marks") for a long time. I recently decided that I wanted a new plinker and wound up with a Mk IV 22/45 Lite. I have not yet been to the range with it, but I am very excited at the prospect of going. Hopefully tomorrow. It's got a threaded barrel (for the suppressor that I one day hope to own), I generally like Rugers, and I really like the feel in my hand. What's even better is that Ruger has solved the RHR (Ridiculously Hard Reassembly) problem in the Mk IVs. Push a button, and the top half of the pistol comes off. Pull the bolt out of the back of the slide, and you're ready to clean. Put bolt back in, pop top half back on, and you're done.
Old January 5, 2018, 06:24 PM   #17
SauerGrapes

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm not in a big hurry. I agree, the research and shopping is part of the fun.
The only 2 mentioned I haven't shot are the Ruger lite and a S&W Victory. Well, never shot a Sig with the conversion. Most of the guys I know that shoot bulls eye, shoot conversions. They are very slick.
I love the idea of a 22 revolver. I have some revolvers and enjoy shooting them D/A the way they are meant to be used.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old January 5, 2018, 07:09 PM   #18
Siggy-06

Ruger SR22 is a great little plinker and has eaten everything I've thrown at it. Plus it's light, compact, and has 2 different barrel lengths to choose from.
Old January 6, 2018, 11:53 AM   #19
libiglou

I have the nelson conversion with a 1911 frame that I had the trigger worked on and it is superbly accurate with the right ammo, however its not an inexpensive proposition. My 617 is also fantastic but the trigger needs a while to break in and does not match the triggers of the semi autos. Finally my old and trusty ruger mk2 continues to serve well after more than 20 years. All of them are fun. Try a few out or better yet get them all you won't be disappointed.

My motto is : one 22 is just not enough
Old January 6, 2018, 12:18 PM   #20
ammo.crafter

another .22 pistol

Look for a used MK I or MK II Ruger and pick up a Volquartsen LLV ; that will give you one fine shooter.
Old January 6, 2018, 12:24 PM   #21
ThomasT

Quote:
What's even better is that Ruger has solved the RHR (Ridiculously Hard Reassembly) problem in the Mk IVs. Push a button, and the top half of the pistol comes off. Pull the bolt out of the back of the slide, and you're ready to clean. Put bolt back in, pop top half back on, and you're done.
Never understood the "hard to take apart" thing on the Ruger auto's. I bought my first one at a Trade Day event. I took it home had it apart and cleaned in just a bit and then reassembled. All without an owners manual and way before Al Gore invented the internet. Computers were way in the future for me.

I have had many Ruger autos since that first one and thats what I would look for if I were in the market for a new semi-auto myself. But the SW Victory has been studied more than once by me also. That would be a contender too.
Old January 6, 2018, 12:29 PM   #22
Ricklin

Agreed

.22 handguns are like potato chips, can't have just one.

My stable of .22 handguns stands at three right now, Ruger Mk 3 Hunter, HS Supermatic, and the latest addition is a Taurus 94.

The Ruger was a jamomatic till I eliminated the loaded chamber indicator. Had to use mini mags and still had jams till I got rid of that little POS. No it eats most everything. Easy to do, no parts needed. Just get rid of the little plastic chamber tab that actuates the LCI and reassemble.
The Supermatic is the oldest, it's an early one lever lock barrel. It's also the most accurate. I only run SV ammo in the Supermatic.

The Taurus was a pleasant surprise. I slicked up the action a little and dry fired the heck out of it with snap caps. Still takes two men and a boy for the DA trigger, but SA is really decent. Much better than new, and cheap as I paid 200 for it NIB.
Old January 6, 2018, 04:56 PM   #23
jimbob86

Quote:
Never understood the "hard to take apart" thing on the Ruger auto's. I bought my first one at a Trade Day event. I took it home had it apart and cleaned in just a bit and then reassembled. All without an owners manual and way before Al Gore invented the internet. Computers were way in the future for me.
To be fair, I imagine that Ruger did not have the stupid magazine disconnect in it, am I right?

The put the magazine in, take the magazine out Hokey pokey thing is annoying.

..... but it is not "Ridiculously Hard".....
\
Old January 6, 2018, 06:47 PM   #24
ThomasT

No it didn’t. But I haven’t owned a Ruger 22 with a mag disconnect. I bought this gun used around 1985. It just seemed so simple after I studied it a couple of minutes.

But I also bought a used Nylon 66 that the feedramp had come loose in and took it apart and glued the ramp back in place with Accraglass gel. No instructions there either. That was around 1990 or so. I was surprised when I started reading these were hard to disassemble.
Old January 6, 2018, 08:01 PM   #25
SauerGrapes

Quote:
The put the magazine in, take the magazine out Hokey pokey thing is annoying.
I agree, the stupid in and out with the magazine is annoying. That is exactly why the guy I bought it from sold it to me for a ridiculously low price.
I've never taken it apart. I just blast it with spray cleaner and keep on going. It shoots great and seems to eat whatever I put in it.

R.I.P.____Murphy