The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 29, 2024, 12:39 PM   #26
joker18

Dang, 1 post! My posts must have been lost from a site upgrade or something. I have been away for a while though.
Old March 29, 2024, 05:03 PM   #27
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood Johnson
When Colt 44 caliber C&B revolvers were first modified to shoot cartridges, the 44 Colt cartridge was developed. The 44 Colt round was sized to fit the 44 caliber chambers. Of course, the rear end of the cylinders where the nipples were located was cut away. A heeled bullet of about .451 was used because that fit the rifling grooves of the C&B revolvers.
Those original, conversion rounds are what are today sometimes referred to as ".44 Colt Original." There used to be a couple of people on the Internet who sold cast lead, heeled bullets for loading .44 Colt Original using .44 Special or .44 Russian brass. I have a box of those bullets somewhere in the basement. I believe the guy I bought them from has retired by now. I don't know another source, but I'm sure you can find molds to cast your own .45 caliber heeled bullets.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/44_Colt_original.htm
Jeepaholic
Old March 31, 2024, 01:35 PM   #28
bedbugbilly

Heeled bullets / molds - Old West Bullet Molds

https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com

I have a number of their molds - pricey but top quality all the way.

On .36 caliber C & B - remember the bore is .375". I use both the Kirst cylinders (gated) and the Howell drop in cylinders in my '51 Navies and '58 Remington Navies. The .36s require a .375" soft lead bullet with a .358 "Heel" - the heel goes in the case mouth and is crimped - remember that these are "outside lubed" bullets. Old West makes a 125 and a 150 grain mold. They also make a special adjustable shell holder and carry a special crimp die for crimping the "heeled" bullet into a 38 Colt Short & Long casing. If you are using a conversion cylinder in a .36 and don't have heeled cartridges or the ability to make them, a standard soft lead hollow base .359 - .360 wadcutter will work with decent accuracy as it is has the ability to expand some when fired to fit the .375 bore fairly decently. The only "conversion" revolver that I have that takes a standard 38 special lead cartridge (.358 slug) is a Uberti 1851 Navy R & M Conversion which is made with the now standard .38 bore (.357).

On my Uberti & Pietta .44 revolvers, Colt/Remington - I have Howell conversion cylinders for them. A standard .452/.454 soft lead bullet works fine. On all conversion cylinders - follow the manufacturer's recommendations for cartridges - there is no need to "push the limit". I normally use a 200 grain soft lead traditional round nose flat point slug and will sometimes use the traditional Ideal/Lyma 255 grain 452-190 or 454-190 round nose flat point. I use both 45 Schofield and 45 Colt brass - I don't shoot competition - some use the short "45 Cowboy Brass" (Starline) - all depends on what you want to try as far as brass and bullet design/weight.

I know this is an old post but am posting this info for reference only. Also - remember that C & B black powder revolvers are not considered firearms as they come from Uberti/Pietta. A "Howell"type conversion cylinder requires no alterations to the revolver - however if you gp tpship them, the revolver and the conversion cylinder must be shipped "separately". IF YOU ALTER THE HANDGUN to accept a "gated conversion cylinder" - such as a Kirst Gate Konverter cylinder - which requires alterations to the recoil shield (where you normally would use the "stock cutout" to put the percussion cap on the nipples - this has to be found out when fitting a gated cylinder so that the cartridges will slide in for loading and spent casings ejected out - the original design of the revolver has been changed and the new alterations have no turned it into a "firearm" that will need to be registered as such in the states and municipalities that require handgun registration - it will also have to be sold as a firearm if you should sell it/trad it/give away.

I enjoy loading and using "heeled cartridges" - lots of fun. I have no ties with "Old West Molds", but I have dealt with them a number of times and have been very pleased with their products and service.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63