The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 18, 2015, 05:13 PM   #76
wogpotter

Quote:
I disagree. Unless someone else can duplicate your result
I guess you missed the part where several others, including some on here had done exactly that, duplicated the results.
Quote:
then a search on this forum turned up a couple of people using it for .303 Brit & found incomplete & erratic combustion. After that a further search found even more with the same problem. The partially burned yellow colored clumps seem symptomatic of the issue.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Last edited by wogpotter; January 18, 2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old January 19, 2015, 09:16 AM   #77
KyleC

Well, I was just getting started in the shooting hobby. I had a hunting rifle, a hunting shotgun and a cc pistol. About 6 months before the hysteria I decided I wanted to get into reloading and expand my "inventory". Needless to say, it's been interesting getting started from scratch during this time. I will say I don't feel bad about any of my purchases. I didn't get gouged on anything. All powder I have bought has been at less than $30/lb, which is less than the new normal around here. All primers I bought for less than $26/1000. I have put together my own AR.

I am no longer as ignorant or dependent as I once was. This is a GREAT thing.

Also, I may be wrong, but after experiencing my first hysteria/shortage and seeing the other side, I believe that components are great investments. I just don't see powder/primers/projectiles coming down in price. If I see a deal I buy it today because I don't think it'll be cheaper next week/month/year.
Old January 19, 2015, 05:34 PM   #78
Kosh75287

Lessons learned.

It taught ME To develop a sufficient supply of everything that inventory rotation becomes a genuine concern. Work to that end continues apace. I've found a few weapons for which I do not have at least 200 rounds on hand, ready to go, so that will ALSO be rectified.

Quote:
That millions of my fellow Americans will have no problem dropping $2000 on what would normally be a $700 AR-15, but can't muster $5's worth of gas to go vote the cause of the panics out of office.
+1. If the gods of forum moderation find your assertion "too politicky" as you put it, then may they find it so, for BOTH of us.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old March 31, 2015, 09:33 AM   #79
gandog56

I still can't find me any H4895 powder in an 8 pound jug, but primers are getting easier to locate. I can HOPE for a return to normalcy, though this drought is lasting lomnger than when Obama was elected the first time.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; March 31, 2015 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Silly pejorative nicknames
Old March 31, 2015, 11:01 AM   #80
boondocker385

I learned that 700x isn't the best powder for pistol loads, but it is versatile and kept me reloading.
Old March 31, 2015, 02:19 PM   #81
GJSchulze

Quote:
I learned that 700x isn't the best powder for pistol loads, but it is versatile and kept me reloading.
I've decided that I need to find some alternate powders that are close to what Power Pistol is. Unfortunately, I can't find any of the three that I chose, but I have been able to find PP a couple of times. I only want to buy a pound of each, so buying via Internet and paying Hazmat isn't economical.
Old March 31, 2015, 03:32 PM   #82
McCarthy

I just learned to keep my mouth shut instead of trying to help somebody out via PM with a source of in stock powder. I wasn't even expecting a "thank you" or an answer but getting blamed for advertising my own shop is pretty screwed up because I don't own or operate any shooting related business. It was just a friendly tip.

Anyway: I have found 2 places where I can get everything I want, I'm stocking up for 3 years worth of shooting and will rotate as needed.

Chapter closed.

Last edited by McCarthy; March 31, 2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old March 31, 2015, 05:15 PM   #83
Kevin Rohrer

What did you learn from the "Big Shortage?"

That this will happen whenever a Dem is elected President.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old March 31, 2015, 05:38 PM   #84
McCarthy

After that bull[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] for 8 years we should be good for 8! And in a perfect world Rand Paul will get in but that's not going to happen as long as the majority of voters keeps believing in this 2 party crap.
Old April 1, 2015, 08:35 PM   #85
Will-j

big Shortage

NICK_...... Learned yeeeeaaars ago that there WILL come a shortage when you least expect it. And Yes.... before you say it; I was a BOY SCOUT, and I always try to be prepared. I bought extra supplies every chance I had way back, when costs were lower AND [plentiful] for every caliber I have and don't have to worry about any of that now, Bragging? No. Just saying...if you plan ahead you won't be worrying about when,where/if your next supply will be available, and/or at what cost.
You should realize by now, and let's hypothesize for a moment, that IF all the ammo and reloading supplies were to become available TOMORROW and there were no shortages whatsoever, for ANYTHING you wanted...Do you think the prices/costs for any of it would come down? Hell NO. In all probability, the cost/prices will go up [forget SUPPLY and DEMAND in this instance]. Every one would probably light-out and start stocking up in preparation for the next "SHORTAGE" thereby perpetuating the situation.
Friends called me "CHICKEN LITTLE" and ridiculed me for accumulating my supplies long ago. Now, they call me at least every other day to load them some ammo or to get some stuff they need because of this *&#*%+-up situation we're in today.
I've ranted enough and if I've offended anyone here then I apologize for that, but the point remains....... Stock up a little at a time with all the things you need to load your ammo as you [collectively] can afford to, and you shouldn't have to worry/concern yourselves with the shortages when they hit.
I'm finished ranting now; I'm gonna shut up, bite my tongue, and not bother y'all anymore.
WILL
Old April 1, 2015, 09:00 PM   #86
stephen426

I know you guys will probably laugh at me, but I still don't reload. I don't have the time or space for it. I do have thousands of rounds in each caliber I shoot and I buy in bulk anytime I see a decent price. My next door neighbor is an avid shooter and he has a reloading set up. Maybe I will invest in some components and compensate him in for using his equipment.

I was seriously tempted to sell some of my stock when the market went berserk, but I held off since I did not know how long the shortage would last. While I don't condone price gouging of essentials (food, water, and medicine), I do not consider ammunition essential. I would have priced my ammo at the going market rate and let the market decide if it wanted to buy my product. While some of the "nobler than thou" may get all huffy about this mentality, how would I know if the person I was selling to was not going to just turn around and flip the ammo for a profit (market rate). If some good friends want to buy some ammo, I'd sell it for my cost. Anything other than good friends, "sorry I don't have any to spare" or market price.

The other thing I learned was to shoot less live ammo and practice more with air guns such as pellet guns and air soft. There are lots of real work benefits to this kind of practice and it can be cheaply and at home.

My next door neighbor is an avid shooter and he has a reloading set up. Maybe I will invest in some components and compensate him in some way for using his equipment.

As for food, I feel 2 years is a bit much. I usually stock up on a few weeks of food and water at the start of every hurricane season. The water is used and replaced (higher par level) but the food is usually not touched. I keep them in a few large plastic containers along with other emergency supplies such as batteries and first air supplies. When the proverbial poop hits the fan, YOU WON'T HAVE TIME TO PACK!!!

One last thing... Odd ball cartridges are your friend! This includes 7.62x25 and 9x18. The most popular rounds were the first to go. Also .22 LR is WAY TOO CHEAP a cartridge to not keep a few thousand rounds of (normal market, not panic prices). In a real poop hits the fan situation, .22 LR or a good air gun can put lots of food on the table and not draw much attention.
Old April 1, 2015, 09:41 PM   #87
Colorado Redneck

I learned that being a tight wad could bite me in the seat of the britches. Now, buying 8 pounds of a powder that I KNOW works for me is no big deal. Buying 2-3000 primers that I use in a certain load, is no big deal. Buying 1000bullets for varmint rifle calibers is no big deal.

Trying to find stuff that will work during these self induced panics is a futile venture. Buying a pound of powder that ends up working, only leads to more goose chases trying to find that powder available. And on and on we go.

When you find components that you use, buy plenty. Don't be afraid to shop online, just use your credit card and not your bank debit card.
Old April 1, 2015, 09:44 PM   #88
rclark

Quote:
few thousand rounds of .22...
A few? I am down 20 boxes of 500 of .22LR and no relief in sight..... I 'thought' I was prepared too....

So learned, I didn't have near enough .22LR .... So as it comes in at a reasonable price, I'll buy it. Of course haven't seen any yet.

What I did to somewhat to alleviate the problem is buy a .32 H&R Mag baby Vaquero. Call it my reloadable .22 . Of course, that didn't help with the Henry .22 rifle which is gathering dust! Plenty of reload stock on hand (so far).
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; April 1, 2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old April 2, 2015, 09:19 AM   #89
JeepHammer

NO SUCH THING AS 'JUNK BRASS'...

If it's BRASS, it's worth picking up,
Just the 'Scrap Weight' makes picking up Rimfire rounds worth while since the weight adds up quickly.

Pick it up, If it's 'YOUR' caliber or not,
If it's in good shape, it's worth picking up since it quickly becomes 'Trading Material' to get what you want that cash wouldn't otherwise buy.

I still throw away steel cases, but I've started an 'Aluminum' scrap bucket, and between 'Starbucks' cans and aluminum cases it adds up pretty quickly also...

CONSIDER CASTING YOUR OWN BULLETS.

ANY LEAD IS GOOD LEAD, and casting your own, especially for handguns gives you a ready supply of bullets.

The old 'Cowboy' guns all use lead bullets, and they are a TON OF FUN to shoot and easy to load for.

I'm not a big fan of cleaning lead out of bores, but if it keeps me shooting and grinning, I'm not that lazy (Yet...).

PRIMERS LIVE A LONG TIME!

Just keep them air tight until use,
And rotate your stock, oldest used first...

Pick up bulk primers when you find them for a reasonable price,
I used to think 'Old' primers were 'Inaccurate',
But having to use some recently that were almost 10 years old,
Not one misfire, just as accurate as the 'New' ones, I've changed my mind.
Old May 25, 2015, 05:29 PM   #90
gandog56

Well lookie lookie. Powder Valley has 8 pound jugs of H4895 in stock. Grabbed me one right quick before they run out.
Old May 25, 2015, 06:26 PM   #91
Machineguntony

Back in the mid 90s, before I went to grad school, I met a guy who hoarded 22. He must have had literally over a million rounds. I laughed at him. I mean, who the heck shoots 22? Haha.

I guess he's now getting the last laugh.

I remember that you could walk into Walmart and buy 22 for dirt cheap and by the truckload. What did target 22 cost back then? I forgot.
Old May 25, 2015, 07:24 PM   #92
zeke

Visited the outdoor range yesterday. Picking up good quality .380 and 45 acp brass aplenty. Gonna have to get one of them wire wheel brass picker uppers, was hurting from picking up brass.
Old May 25, 2015, 07:32 PM   #93
rtpzwms

Quote:
was hurting from picking up brass.
ZEKE you just need more practice drop and pick up 20... LOL
Old May 25, 2015, 07:56 PM   #94
georgiacatweazle

first shortage i had after starting up shooting in the US was about 7 years ago. I had only one pistol at the time, Glock 17 and I had 350 rounds. step brother came over from the UK and we shot through 300. Few weeks later budget 9mm was $28 a box if you could find it.

after that I bought a box or two of something a month until I started reloading 18 months ago.
Old May 25, 2015, 08:36 PM   #95
rclark

Quote:
I remember that you could walk into Walmart and buy 22 for dirt cheap and by the truckload. What did target 22 cost back then? I forgot.
Me too. Under $10.00 a brick. Never had to 'worry' about picking up a brick, on your way out gopher hunting. Not any more! Doubt we'll ever see that again. Its been a long time since I've even seen a brick, let alone a pallet or two sitting in the isle. Just checked again yesterday, and still nothing..... Not that I care (much), now that I have my .32s, but ....

Since it's been another month since last post, checking powder this month... Rifle powders yes, pistol and shotgun powders no..... Primers yes (except small seem to be missing). And so it goes.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old May 25, 2015, 09:18 PM   #96
leadcounsel

Modern society and on-demand and just-in-time delivery result in having very little actual product on shelves at any given time.

It's often said that grocery stores would go bare if left un-stocked for a day or a few days.

Anyone whose been alive since the 1970s has experienced shocks and bubbles in supply and demand. Oil shocks. Gold and silver bubble. Gun shocks. Ammo runs. Gas spikes. Housing bubbles. Food shortages. Water shortages.

The key to surviving these is to - the greatest extent possible - buy cheap and stack deep.
Old May 26, 2015, 02:01 PM   #97
Real Gun

Running low on my AA#9, my first one pounder, I learned to regard the 8 pounder containers as what I needed to buy rather than spending just pocket money for one pound at a time, now nonexistent at the corner gun shop. When you find it, you take the big gulp size, never knowing when or if you will see it again. You also don't hold out for a price you like.
Old May 26, 2015, 02:35 PM   #98
Road_Clam

Buy weekly, buy in small quantities so to NOT clean off the shelves and keep a detailed inventory. I like to think I'm indirectly saving for a happy retirement These pics are about a year old. I try to buy 1.5 times what I shoot weekly. I have about another 12# of powder and another 2000 of bulk projectiles not pictured.

Last edited by Road_Clam; May 26, 2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old May 26, 2015, 03:38 PM   #99
bfoosh006

You guys might find some of this info interesting.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...dustry-so-far/

Adjusted for 2014 dollars.....

I learned, that buy it while it is cheap. I realize that sounds overly simplistic... but... right now you can get inexpensive quality parts for numerous MSR's.

These are the current "Golden Days".

(Ooops... I am not sure how to shrink the images... )
Old May 26, 2015, 04:25 PM   #100
bfoosh006

and here we go again....

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...es-introduced/

I am beginning to think the Demo. are trying to bankrupt us "Gunny" folk.