The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 10, 2006, 11:05 PM   #1
Maximus856

'Nuisance season'

Well, nuisance season is coming up sept. 1st I have been told.. And at my work we have a problem with Canada Geese. My boss said some of the club members come in and do their thing, and I was wondering if I by chance could take part in this. My problem is I lack a shotgun, and I read somewhere you can only take migratory birds with a shotgun. I wasn't sure if this changed or not during 'nuisance' season... I live in PA btw.

-Max.
Old August 11, 2006, 12:54 AM   #2
DonR101395

Quote:
Well, nuisance season is coming up sept. 1st I have been told.. And at my work we have a problem with Canada Geese. My boss said some of the club members come in and do their thing, and I was wondering if I by chance could take part in this. My problem is I lack a shotgun, and I read somewhere you can only take migratory birds with a shotgun. I wasn't sure if this changed or not during 'nuisance' season... I live in PA btw.

-Max
Cool, PA has a nuisance season? Can I bring my nuisance neighbor up
Old August 11, 2006, 02:45 AM   #3
Doubletaptap

I'm not real experienced bit I never heard of taking ducks or geese with anything but a shotgun. I do know you have to use steel shot instead of lead now.
So if you get a shotgun, make sure the barrel will take steel shot.
Hope this helps a little.
Old August 11, 2006, 06:10 AM   #4
Bowhunter57

Maximus586,
I've hunted the Early Season for Canadian Geese for many years and it's the best time to get some "easy" shooting and calling done. If you're thinking about getting into it, be prepared for the addiction of waterfowling. Bowhunting is legal for waterfowl too, but not with crossbows.

Shotguns capable of holding not more than 3 shells is one of many restrictions for hunting waterfowl. Non-toxic shot is another one. Please check your local game regulations for more detail. Also, talk with the guys on the Refuge Forums for more info.
www.refugeforums.com/refuge

I happen to have a Russian Baikal 12 gauge O/U for sale, if you're interested send me an e-mail to: [email protected]

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Old August 11, 2006, 10:05 AM   #5
mete

Act fast the early goose season is almost on us. You need shotgun [ best a 12 ga, 3" mag, non-lead shot [I use steel BB ] hunting license, federal 'duck stamp' [ at larger post offices] Make sure you pattern the load. Range for BB steel is about 25-45 yds. They taste good , best braised ! Dress them out immediately, the warm weather will spoil them quickly !
Old August 12, 2006, 01:32 AM   #6
Maximus856

Great info guys, thanks. I'm new to the whole hunting deal so any info is good info.

And unfortunatley, I can't afford another gun right now, so if I were to do it it would be with a borrowed shotgun, and probably with someone who has some experiance..

Thanks,

-Max.
Old August 12, 2006, 10:55 AM   #7
FirstFreedom

We don't have that, but I sure like the idea, knowing that without checking every detail of the reg book on a particular day, I can take out as many crows, squirrels, raccoons, and beavers that I can find and sneak up on.