The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 6, 2006, 08:10 PM   #1
BrianBM

Guided Hunting on Horseback

Ladies and Gentlemen, good evening. New guy on site; new guy in this Forum.
I've been lurking and Searching a while, and have a few questions about possible hunting. Never tried it, but thinking about doing so.

Besides being flabby and nearsighted, I'm short one leg. Stalking deer, or anything else, isn't practical. I'm not going to get more then a couple of hundred yards from the SUV, ATV, or horse, and the first time I hunt I'll need to do it with a guide to correct my textbook-only notions of how to dress an animal. On the other hand, I don't mind the company of a horse at all. They don't argue, any more then my cat, with my opinions on politics and the economy. This makes a horse decent company, for a few days.

I read of riding horses on hunts only in the context of elk in the west. That's not the right venue for a novice to start. Do any of you know of, or care to recommend, a guide who hauls his clients around for deer, in the northeastern US or adjacent parts of Canada? Post a note.

BTW, Rich Lucibella - that thread on your first mule deer was the best-told hunting yarn I've read here. Very informative, a fun read. Now, on to the Handloading forum!
Old July 7, 2006, 02:06 AM   #2
chemist308

If I ever were to hunt from a 'vehicle' it would be a horse
But just to make it interesting you should hunt with a pistol, shoot from 15 yards and while chasing at an all out sprint--just kidding about that part
Old July 7, 2006, 10:36 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Brian, welcome to TFL!

At many Barnes&Noble bookstores you'll find local-area hunting/fishing magazines, as well as the "big three" (Sports Afield, Field & Stream and Outdoor Life). Outfitters advertise therein.

So, check out some outfitters in the area of interest, and ask if they use horses, or know somebody who does.

Subscriptions to the big three are inexpensive, and they offer articles on all manner of hunting ideas--occasionally including field dressing of deer.

Art
Old July 25, 2006, 04:38 PM   #4
shureshot0471

Go to a google search on this and it will give you lists of hundureds of sites and they will give you outtfitters this will be very helpful.
- Ted Nugent
Old July 25, 2006, 08:34 PM   #5
BrianBM

Thank you. Kinda fun education myself in this.
Old August 8, 2006, 11:16 AM   #6
arizona hunter

Vehicle hunting

Brian, most if not all states have some regulations that may actually allow you to hunt from a car or truck. Call the Game & Fish dept. of the state or states you hope to hunt and tell them about physical condition and they will provide you with the info. you require. Also, pick up a copy of NY regulations at an outdoor store (or even Wal Mart).

In AZ for example, a person without use of both legs can actually shoot from a vehicle.
Old August 12, 2006, 07:22 AM   #7
UniversalFrost

Roger that with what arizona hunter said. I have a couple of buddies who lost an arm or leg or are partially disabled (myself included) and avid hunters. While we may want to wander into the woods like we used to do, the physical limitations prevent this. The best place to start with for some helpful information is the state Game and Parks department. They can not only provide you with the rules and regs for disabled persons, but they also can provide you with contact info for fellow disabled hunters or organizations and outfitters that cater to those with disabilities.

One issue when on horseback is that the horse may be gun shy and even if you dismount and shoot the horse may get scared and bolt, leaving you in the middle of no where. I personally used an atv on my last hunt and had no problems, a buddy of mine who lost both legs uses his wheelchair (motorized) to get out to a blind he had setup on the top of a hill overlooking a nice deer trail. He then just sat tight in the blind until a nice buck came by and took the shot. He had to call another fellow hunter (who is not disabled) to track the deer and drag it back to the vehicle.

Happy hunting and don't let the disabilites stop you from enjoying the outdoors.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old August 13, 2006, 08:31 PM   #8
BrianBM

Thank you all. I'll follow up on this.
Old August 31, 2006, 09:27 PM   #9
Arizona Fusilier

Abilities and limitations aside, I hear hunting from horseback is the cat's meow!