The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 5, 2014, 03:21 AM   #26
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
please run it by us, why do you need to remove the primers again?
I can't even remember!!

Seriously, I can't. It must have been a conclusion I drew after a discussion on here: that is about the only I reach new conclusions on handloading!

It may have been that these were the cases that had experienced hotter loads in one OCW strings and I had subsequently felt that the pockets were loose and I didn't want to bin cases with primers in situ.

My memory is a disgrace at times!!
Old November 5, 2014, 05:27 AM   #27
skizzums

Well, in that case, a good way to kill a love primer is to load it up and shoot it. If you don't feel safe, then just fire the primer in your gun w/o powder and bullet. Problem solved
Old November 5, 2014, 06:00 AM   #28
Pond, James Pond

Tried that: would feed from the mag without a bullet and I didn't want to damage the ramp so I didn't force it.

I think I'll just wear chainsaw gloves, earplugs, my crash helmet, a bomb-disposal suit with a double layer of incontinence pads and try with the press....
Old November 5, 2014, 12:08 PM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

No need (and no point) to trying to feed the empty cases from the magazine into the chamber.

There is no firearm I know of where you cannot carefully fit the case to the boltface, by hand, hooking the rim/extractor groove under the extractor, and guide the case into the chamber as you carefully close the action.

Then just fire the darn thing, to pop off the problem primer.
Old November 5, 2014, 02:40 PM   #30
emcon5

Quote:
Tried that: would feed from the mag without a bullet and I didn't want to damage the ramp so I didn't force it.
If the brass case hurts the steel ramp, you have bigger problems than trying to pop a few primers....
Old November 5, 2014, 05:04 PM   #31
Chuck Dye

With a standard press, I would simply decap as with a spent primer. Even if you detonate a primer, there is too little compound and resulting gas to bother the extraneous volume within the die. At worst, a fussbudget might want to clean the die of combustion products when done.

A large part of my reasoning comes from fooling around with .22LR rounds as a kid. Friends and I pulled bullets from the ammo and found various foolish ways to expend the powder. We discovered that we could detonate the priming mix by sticking a sewing needle into the case, levering it between the case mouth and rim, and rapidly run the needle around the inside of the rim. The result is a surprisingly mild pop and a sooty finger. The real entertainment came from talking the unsuspecting into doing it (ain't younger siblings great?) A centerfire primer, even if it is several times more powerful than that .22LR (which I doubt,) contained within a die, seems unlikely to cause problems. Of course, all the lawyerly weasel words apply and you are on your own.
Old November 5, 2014, 07:52 PM   #32
Geezerbiker

I've pressed out a lot of live primers over the years and not one has ever gone off. These days I use a Lee universal decapper die with a hand press. So if I were concerned about a primer going off, I'd take the whole process outside or to the garage...

That was an interesting trick about show ammo. The one time I made some for a friend, I center drilled the hollow point bullets to let out any blast from the primers if one were chambered and fired. The one we tested wasn't uncrimped by the primer blast...

Tony
Old November 5, 2014, 08:54 PM   #33
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, I have decapped probably a few hundred live primers over the years and never had one go off. Just pressure alone won't set off a primer; it takes a very rapid blow.

For dummy rounds, I just don't install any primer, just leaving the hole empty, a clear indication that the round cannot be fired, though I also drill holes in the sides of the case. For action functioning dummies, I drop a piece of wood dowel into the case to keep the bullet from being forced back into the case in repeated feedings.

Jim
Old November 6, 2014, 02:36 PM   #34
Sevens

Quote:
A centerfire primer, even if it is several times more powerful than that .22LR (which I doubt,)
The quoted text is not entirely clear to me, but I'll say that if you think that a centerfire primer is not SEVERAL times more powerful than that of cheap bulk rimfire, then I would suggest that you go back to your roots and experiment.

And take pictures.