The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 18, 2013, 05:51 PM   #26
Dragline45

Some people fail to realize you cannot carry everywhere, like schools, federal buildings, and in some states bars. If I happen to not be able to carry somewhere I keep a cable lock in my car and lock the gun under the seat. I lock it through the trigger guard so I never keep it loaded in case the trigger inadvertently gets pulled as I am unlocking and retrieving it.
Old April 18, 2013, 06:09 PM   #27
serf 'rett

Never heard of a round cooking off in the hot interior of a vehicle.

I wouldn't view the vehicle as suitable for long term storage because damage could occur to the firearm and the chance it could be stolen.

On the rare instances I must leave a pistol in the vehicle, for more than a few minutes, I sometimes disassemble the weapon and scatter the major pieces (with a slide, or barrel or slide stop perhaps stuck in my pocket )
Old April 18, 2013, 06:35 PM   #28
Glenn E. Meyer

I have heard (so it must be true ), that the polymer grips on some of the cheaper plastic guns have deformed when left in the TX level summer inferno.

I hesitate to name brands as I have not seen such a gun.

I do know that 9mm and 45 ACP rounds will not be cooked off by the temperature of the clothes dryer. However, the significant other may be cooked off by that unintentional 'experiment'.
Old April 18, 2013, 08:18 PM   #29
Dragline45

I saw a program on TV where they interviewed the Canadian sniper Rob Furlong who holds the longest shot in history, 1.5 miles. They were leaving the rounds out to cook in the sun claiming it slightly increases the burn rate of the propellant thus allowing the rounds to reach out further. I suspect that it gets pretty hot out in the hills of Afghanistan, probably just as hot as most cars get in the US.
Old April 18, 2013, 09:57 PM   #30
oldgunsmith

I'd go with something in stainless steel to leave in the car for any length of time.
Old April 18, 2013, 11:42 PM   #31
DeadEye1911

In the Car

I'd personally recommend getting your CHL if you're in a state that allows it, so that way you can just leave it on your person. When you're going into a place where you can't carry like a school, post office, etc., then i'd recommend a small locked safe that bolts to your vehicle floor. If a criminal steals your firearm, there's a good chance he'll commit a crime with it.
Old April 19, 2013, 08:27 AM   #32
Chuck Dye

I have been cautioned in a permit class that stowing a loaded gun in the glove box or console is a possible issue if I leave the gun and passengers, all of whom have no permits, in the car for an errand. The permitless passengers then become in possession of an illegal loaded firearm in a vehicle. This is an actual consideration at the post office. The who and how of such possibilities becoming a problem in my life are negligible, YMMV.

I would not worry about the thermal considerations. High heat cycles will probably shorten the "shelf life" of your carry ammo, but we are cautioned to shoot up and replace carry ammo for other reasons as well. Mine goes down range at roughly two years.
Old April 20, 2013, 12:35 AM   #33
ShelbyV8

I carry a handgun in my vehicle at all times that I can access quickly. Have you ever tried to get to your concealed carry weapon while wearing a seat belt and shoulder strap unless you carry cross draw, it is way to slow. I don't worry about someone breaking into my vehicle with the factory security system, they are not going to hang around long enough to find my firearm. If the vehicle is stolen, chop shops have no problem cutting cables and opening safes and trunks. I have no more liability if a weapon is stolen from my locked vehicle than I do if it stolen from my locked home.
Old April 21, 2013, 01:19 PM   #34
bikerbill

I don't like leaving a gun in my car permanently ... I have an old Taurus 85 I keep in the glovebox when I know I'm going someplace where I can't carry ... otherwise, I leave it in a locked box in the garage .. I used to keep it in the car all the time, but wiser heads here at TFL have talked me out of it ... however, it has survived 110-degrees here in Texas without any problems ... I keep it in a silicone impregnated "gun sock" and have never seen even a trace of rust ... I shoot up in the ammo in it and replace it with fresh rounds about every three months or so ... heat, no problem ... getting it stolen, big problem ...
Old April 22, 2013, 03:09 PM   #35
Texshooter

In my life, I have had my vehicle broken into 3 times.

1st time I was too young to own a pistol.

Last 2 times, I was carrying. If I had left the weapon in the vehicle .........

don't want to really think about it.
Old April 23, 2013, 07:49 AM   #36
cajun47

i keep a sawed off mossberg 12 ga in my truck and flitecontrol 00 buck in case some ass wants to road rage with his pea shooter. sure i ccw handguns but i'll go for the shotgun if possible.
Old April 23, 2013, 08:23 AM   #37
Vartarg

All the time...

There's a loaded S&W 642 with 3 speed strips in my console at all times.....

That's in addition to the pistol I'm carrying on my person....
If we want to regain the respect of the world, we should begin by announcing that children have no business expressing opinions on anything except "Do you have enough room in the toes?" -Florence King
Old April 23, 2013, 01:56 PM   #38
Tactical Jackalope

I wouldn't leave my gun anywhere I'm not unless it's at the gunsmiths or my safe.

The weather isn't a problem. It's thieves.

Don't do that -__- if you're not going to carry it then don't drag it along with you.

Only way I can see that being reasonable (leaving your gun in the car) is going into a courthouse or in the vicinity of a LE building. And then it should be in a lock box. Not the glove box. I don't care if it locks. Not good enough.

A real steel lock box.
Old April 23, 2013, 09:33 PM   #39
Mr. James

Well, Constantine,

That was my answer, since so much of my life requires me running into GFZs. I refuse to go unarmed all the time because of my neighborhood and work. I carry wherever I can. I wouldn't store a weapon in a vehicle, as much for rust and funk as for security, and don't leave one there unless forced to. So far, so good. Aside from leaving one's vehicle unlocked entirely, I don't fault anyone who chooses differently.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old April 24, 2013, 06:15 PM   #40
marv

A loaded handgun lives in the console of both my vehicles. That + the one in my pocket = New York Reload. If I have to lock a gun in a safe in my car I might as well lock it in the safe at home.
Old April 26, 2013, 07:31 AM   #41
Guv

Seems like alot of lesser plasics survive the heat of being in a locked up car, CD's, pens, cassets, Cheap Sunglasses, etc.
Old April 26, 2013, 07:53 AM   #42
wayneinFL

A gun in a vehicle is only protected by a piece of glass, kinda like your house. A crook only needs a hammer or a center punch to get in.

Putting it in a lockbox or locked glovebox is better, because the crook needs to bring a screwdriver or cable cutters to get it. But not a whole lot better.