The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 6, 2017, 05:16 PM   #1
flashhole

Camera mounted on scope - anyone do it?

I found a "head mount" camera that my wife purchased to film her trail riding adventures. I think she used it twice.

It is 1" diameter, perfect for a scope mount like you would use on a flashlight mount.

I ordered the mount and will get it in about a week.

I hope to do some recording for gun outings.

Anyone do something similar?

Are you ready for civil war?
Old August 6, 2017, 06:15 PM   #2
SerenityNetworks

I have a Mobius action cam' that I've put on a mount. I replaced the standard wide angle lens with a 16mm telephoto lens. It has worked pretty slick in my trials on squirrels and small critters. I'm anxious to try it on deer, coyote, and such. One problem you may have with your camera is the side angle lens. Even deer at 40 yards are going to be pretty small. Fortunately, many of these cameras use lenses with standard M12 threads. This lets you replace the standard lens with one having a longer focal length. Just be sure to get one with an IT cut filter or your daytime video will have washed out and odd colors. Although for hogs at night you can use am IR illuminator and leave of the cut filter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old August 6, 2017, 07:03 PM   #3
flashhole

Sounds like the voice of experience speaking. I was thinking the same thing ... things that are not that far away will look pretty small. Should be some interesting tests in the not too distant future.

Old August 6, 2017, 07:12 PM   #4
SerenityNetworks

Good luck.

I did notice some auto-correct errors in my post. It should read, "wide angle lens and "IR cut filter" (as infrared).

Old August 6, 2017, 07:29 PM   #5
flashhole

I might also pick up a cell phone to rifle scope mount.

Old August 6, 2017, 07:49 PM   #6
SerenityNetworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
I might also pick up a cell phone to rifle scope mount.
Unless it's a very low recoil rifle, I can't see putting a cell phone on a rifle.

Old August 7, 2017, 05:51 AM   #7
std7mag

Nope, and won't.

Don't need the extra weight or bs that comes along with it.

Also the hunt is forever with me in my memories. Don't need to show others what an animal getting shot looks like.
Old August 7, 2017, 09:21 AM   #8
Jim Watson

A correspondent has fallen in love with Side Shot. We will see if he gets one and likes it.
https://www.side-shot.com/
Old August 7, 2017, 03:32 PM   #9
flashhole

Thanks for the link. That was pretty impressive.

Old August 7, 2017, 03:32 PM   #10
SerenityNetworks

That side-shot looks like a solid design. But I wonder (1) do you loose 50% of your light with the prism and (2) would I want it on a large caliber? It seems like it would be tough on a phone and loosing an inch or more of eye relief on a large caliber rifle could make for a shiner. But the loss of light transmission seems like it would be the biggest issue. At nearly $300, I'm not gambling. Still, it could be fun.

Old August 7, 2017, 04:10 PM   #11
flashhole

Why do you think prism. I was thinking 50% mirror. Light needs to go in two directions.

Old August 7, 2017, 04:25 PM   #12
SerenityNetworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
Why do you think prism. I was thinking 50% mirror. Light needs to go in two directions.
You are correct. It has to be fractional either way. And it may not have to be 50%. The CCDs these days are pretty sensitive. It may feed less than 50% to the camera. I'm curious now.

Old August 7, 2017, 05:43 PM   #13
rickyrick

There's a device for sale (I stole the design and made my own) to mount an iPhone to your scope. It views inside the scope. Works pretty good and you can shoot sighting with the screen. There's no parallax from moving your head.
Not very practical and sort of a novelty, but it would work. It's kinda bothersome to align the camera and the scope. Has to be adjusted in and out for the scope relief, and adjusted to center it.

I gave up on the idea and was glad I made it at no cost instead of buying the device.

Double aught spy videos hunts, so does zenarchery ... check the hunting forums
Old August 11, 2017, 06:14 AM   #14
Mobuck

My hunting buddy mounted a camera to his turkey gun. Even a 15 yard shot looks like 1/4 mile--basically worthless.
Old August 11, 2017, 08:59 AM   #15
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
My hunting buddy mounted a camera to his turkey gun. Even a 15 yard shot looks like 1/4 mile--basically worthless.
Yeah, most of the 1x commercial gun cams are useless at typical hunting distances >50 yards. That is part of the reason why they are not more popular.

ATN has a 5x version that does pretty well inside 50-75 yards. By 100, you can see things okay, but without much real detail. Here is an example... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA87KdjW_PE

In most cases, the lack of magnification, small lens, lens quality (not great) result in sub par imagery.
Old August 14, 2017, 09:31 AM   #16
SerenityNetworks

I was able to get out shooting yesterday. I took my little Mobius action cam with me and set it on the bench when we walked out to retrieve and place targets. The aim isn't centered as it would be if mounted on a rail, but it gives you a good idea of the view at 100 yards. It will be interesting to see the results when I have it mounted on a rifle and shoot something. I wonder just how long I'll loose the target with recoil.

https://youtu.be/Sr_nPLojPoM
Old August 14, 2017, 11:16 AM   #17
Double Naught Spy

The Mobius looks pretty good. It obviously has some magnification to it. It will be interesting to see how it holds up with recoil.
Old August 14, 2017, 05:27 PM   #18
SerenityNetworks

The Mobius is intended to be a dash cam, so it's pretty tolerant of heat and movement. We use them at work where the get bumped around quite a bit and we've yet to have one fail. I've had this unit out at several obstacle course races (Spartan Race kind of events) where it's been banged up and keeps working. My guess is that it will tolerate the recoil. But we'll see.

Yes, the 25mm lens provides an approximate 7.5x magnification over the standard lens.