The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 18, 2018, 07:25 PM   #1
armednfree

Ruger America Predator Report 6mm Creedmoor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVClvmCplBo&t=16s

Old September 21, 2018, 04:42 PM   #2
Scorch

Spends most of the time complaining about the modifications he made to the rifle and the poor design of a budget rifle. Hardly a report on the 6mm Creedmore, he doesn't even mention accuracy of the rifle until the last 20 seconds.
Old September 21, 2018, 05:20 PM   #3
gshayd

Should have put it in a MDT stock..... the only thing you have to do is do some filing on the MAGPUL AICS magazine but all it take is a file and a few minutes.
Old September 21, 2018, 05:21 PM   #4
gw44

Ruger makes a accurate gun ???
Old September 21, 2018, 05:34 PM   #5
gshayd

Yes they do....even with the crappy predator stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7A3K69YoTQ
Old September 22, 2018, 08:31 AM   #6
Bfglowkey

I put one in a Boyd's AT1 stock and it is serving me very well for what I paid/did. Had 200 Cabela's bucks so gave it a whirl and it's been performing well with 105 Hornady BTHP handloads over IMR4451 and a Nikon Black FX1000 6x24 on it. BERGER Hybrids at 105 g also shoot very well with nearly same charge of IMR. May tinker with some RL 16 or 26 next but that would be if I try the Barnes MB 112s or the Sierra 110s
Old October 4, 2018, 09:45 PM   #7
dvdcrr

I have a 22" Ruger 6mm Remington. How much real velocity loss does one see when switching to a 22" RAR 6 Creed? Handloads to Handloads.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old October 6, 2018, 07:49 AM   #8
Bfglowkey

My loads I have all shoot 2900-3100 out of the factory barrel. ( depending on which powder load I am using...fastest is my RL 26 with the 112 Barnes MBs...man those things shoot good)
Since this rifle has the most hunter friendly stock on it of my bunch it will be my field gun for this season.
If you have the option I would go with 24" or longer for the 6 Creed.....when time comes to rebarrel that is my starting point
Old October 6, 2018, 08:38 AM   #9
stagpanther

I have written for years on different forums about the "Tupperware stiffie job"--will set you back about $20 and you'll most of the time get a better shooting rifle using the stock stock--and you won't worry about it getting bashed in real-world woods hunting conditions. I bought a predator when they first came out in 270win--I think I'll take it out today and put a few factory American Whitetail cartridges through it.
Old October 6, 2018, 09:06 AM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
Yes they do....even with the crappy predator stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7A3K69YoTQ
That guy is a heck of a shooter--sounds like he did something very similar to his stock though probably a bit more "deluxe"--I just use marinetex epoxy and envirotex.

PS--went out to the local range--the rifle--which has sat around unused and banged into in the back of my safe--I forgot to check the tightness of everything, so I was spraying bullets a bit on the wild side.

Last edited by stagpanther; October 6, 2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old October 6, 2018, 03:32 PM   #11
stagpanther

After tightening up the mount and rings I went back out and tried again--things got better.

The American Whitetail I used up having only 4 cartridges on the earlier foray--so all I have left is remmie's core-lokts--which I consider to be very average in consistency performance but uses pretty good bullets. I was actually surprised they shot this well, might have been better had I not pulled the flier. The predator in a lightweight 270 win is a snappy little thing and the scope will sting you if you're not careful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0586.JPG (201.9 KB, 209 views)
Old October 11, 2018, 05:37 AM   #12
BeeShooter

As far as the 6 creed cartridge is concerned, I've got it in a custom 700/7.5 twist krieger and it shoots .2s and .3s at 100. H4350 and very good ballistics. One of the best shooting rifles I've ever owned.
Old October 11, 2018, 07:01 AM   #13
stagpanther

Quote:
As far as the 6 creed cartridge is concerned, I've got it in a custom 700/7.5 twist krieger and it shoots .2s and .3s at 100. H4350 and very good ballistics. One of the best shooting rifles I've ever owned.
Funny you mention it--I was out shooting my 6mm creed AR build yesterday for the first time in a while--I haven't found a load yet that works quite that well but yes the H4350 is one of my principal go-to powders. I found a formula using 4000MR and decided to try that out on 108 eld's. Unfortunately had to stop shooting right after starting in, so testing remains to be completed. My odin barrel has a 1:8 twist so theoretically it might have issues with the bigger bullets--I'll see.
Old October 11, 2018, 10:22 AM   #14
dvdcrr

One thing to keep in mind if you are weight conscious is that adding a bunch of epoxy to a stock will make it noticeably heavier.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old October 11, 2018, 11:43 AM   #15
stagpanther

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind if you are weight conscious is that adding a bunch of epoxy to a stock will make it noticeably heavier.
I haven't really noticed the extra weight--especially when compared to any solid wood stock rifles I have. It's just a cheap option for those on a budget that I know works.
Old October 14, 2018, 03:42 PM   #16
stagpanther

Tried shooting a ladder of 108 eldx's with my AR build using the 4000MR--got some nice results with lower power loads but for some reason started picking up pressure signs short of Hornady's maximum in their load data--so I stopped at my first shot of 42.7 grs and called it a day.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 creedmoor 108 eldx 38.7 4000MR.jpg (85.5 KB, 90 views)