The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 30, 2018, 02:22 PM   #1
Garandman3

Scout Scope mount for 1916 Spanish Mauser

Has anyone had any experience with S&K Scope Mounts particularly the Weaver style? Their SKSP70 for the 1916 Spanish Mauser looks pretty good and I'm wondering if the front is secured by the original pivot pin or is the new mount threaded to accept screws from either side. The rear is secured by a threaded "plate" that slides under the original mount. The rifle is pretty accurate and the trigger is really nice. I shoot reduced loads in it and would rather not get side tracked on that. I realize the scope will have to have a long eye relief.
Old September 30, 2018, 06:39 PM   #2
Mobuck

I tried one of those mounts but found it wouldn't stay tight. IIRC there's a pin at the front and a screw that wedges against the sight base to hold things tight.
Old October 1, 2018, 02:05 PM   #3
emcon5

I have one, but the K98 version. Seems to work as advertised, although I have only used it for testing handloads at the range with a cheap Chinese pistol scope. Not sure I would trust it for hunting, seems like it would be easy to get knocked around and lose zero.
Old October 1, 2018, 08:42 PM   #4
Mobuck

for use on a pickup rifle, I epoxied the base into the rear sight ears.
Old October 7, 2018, 11:39 AM   #5
Garandman3

I have a Browning XBolt in 30-06 for hunting. I like target shooting with this Spanish Mauser and think I would enjoy it more if it was scoped. I was thinking that rather than use the original pivot pin to secure the front that the hole in the base could be threaded to 4-40, 6-32 or 8-32 and the holes in the original mount drilled for the screws.
Old October 7, 2018, 11:42 AM   #6
Garandman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
for use on a pickup rifle, I epoxied the base into the rear sight ears.
Did you use JB weld or regular epoxy? Did you epoxy the entire base or just the front?
Old October 7, 2018, 11:49 AM   #7
Garandman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
I have one, but the K98 version. Seems to work as advertised, although I have only used it for testing handloads at the range with a cheap Chinese pistol scope. Not sure I would trust it for hunting, seems like it would be easy to get knocked around and lose zero.
I have a Leupold pistol scope but plan on using an Aim Sports 2-7 x 42 30mm scout scope.
Old October 7, 2018, 02:21 PM   #8
Mobuck

"Did you use JB weld or regular epoxy? Did you epoxy the entire base or just the front?"

JB weld and filled the rear sight ears with it. Bore sighted the optically centered scope before the JB set so I got it right from the start.
Old October 10, 2018, 05:19 AM   #9
hooligan1

I have that Mount on a 1912 Chilean, easy to set and stays tight.
Old October 26, 2018, 03:33 PM   #10
Garandman3

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to order the scope mount.