The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Closed Thread

Old October 24, 2009, 10:13 PM   #1
Kendrickson

Savage Model 110 in 300 savage

I've been doing a little research on my rifle as I have been contemplating selling it and getting a more popular and easy to find caliber. The problem is, I am coming up a little short on information. It is a Savage model 110 chambered in 300 savage. I've had the gun about 10 years, and it was used when I got it. From my research on the internet, I am finding that the model 110 was not chambered in 300 savage, except for a limited run anniversary edition in 2008. Savage's own website says that this limited run is the first time that the model 110 has been offered in 300 savage. But my rifle is at least 10 years old, and clearly says Savage Model 110 300 Savage. Am I missing something, or are there other guns like mine out there? I didn't find any information about it, nor did I find any examples of my rifle on Gunbroker. So, I guess I am asking if any of you are familiar with my rifle?
Old October 24, 2009, 11:33 PM   #2
5whiskey

I'm just throwing this out there. If you want a cheaper caliber to shoot/keep rounds for, you may want to look at doing a barrel swap. There are how tos out there, and it'll be easier to buy a barrel from ER shaw than to try and sell a rifle chambered for a caliber no one wants at a decent price to buy another rifle. It's not a solution for some people, but I'm throwing a little bit of an "outside the box" thinking in there.
Old October 25, 2009, 07:18 AM   #3
Bud Helms

5whiskey, in the search of a more common chambering than the .300 Savage, Kendrickson has come across a sort of mystery concerning his rifle brand, model, year produced and chambering. That is his point of discussion, not what to get to replace it. I don't think you bothered to read the entire post.
Old October 25, 2009, 07:21 AM   #4
ligonierbill

Maybe the original owner did rebarrel it. In any case, .300 Savage is a great round for hunting PA. True, you're getting 100-200 fps less than a .308, but that won't mean much at 200 yards. I would bet you will find a buyer for the rifle, especially someone that loads his own. Is your only problem finding ammo?
Old October 25, 2009, 07:38 AM   #5
Bud Helms

Old October 25, 2009, 08:56 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

It was my understanding that Savage released a very limited number of 110s chambered in .300 Savage around 1998-1999, or the 100th anniversary of the Savage 99.

You should try contacting Savage.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 25, 2009, 09:38 AM   #7
riggins_83

I would certainly contact Savage. Give them the serial number and they'll be able to tell you a lot more about the rifle, year, etc.

This is my 500th post.. may I have a cookie?
Old October 25, 2009, 12:38 PM   #8
Kendrickson

Thanks for the info! It is possible that it was made in 1998 or so as Mike has suggested. I got it around that time, but it was very slightly used, and I don't know how old it was when I acquired it. I do not think it was re-barrelled as it was nearly brand new when I got it, but I could be wrong. I think I will contact Savage to find out some more information.
As for why I was looking for a different rifle: The main reason is simply finding ammo (and finding ammo that is not ridiculously high priced). The rifle itself is very nice, and I have no problem with the round. I just wanted something more commonly available.
Old October 25, 2009, 03:26 PM   #9
ligonierbill

Unfortunately, you are right about the ammo. Lot's of Savage 99s at our camp, and even in western PA, .300 Savage is getting hard to find. I'm reloading for my brother and another guy. Good luck this season. I'd talk you into reloading, but that would be off topic.
Old October 25, 2009, 04:03 PM   #10
brian923

find out before you go tearing it apart, or selling it for a low price. if you like the rifle, and want to keep it, but dont like the caliber, being a savage, and a long action, you have tons of options if you want to rebarrel it yourself. YES, I SAID DO IT YOURSELF i know thats not your origonal intent, but you can pretty much choose any caliber you want. you can stick to calibers with the same .473" case head, or you can purchase a magnum sized bolt head and use a .532-.534" case head cartridge. you can go from .243 win to 30-06 to 7 mm rem mag, and so on. skys the limit.

to rebarrel, all you need a savage barrel nut wrench, and a set of go, no go gauges in the caliber you want. pre threaded/chambered barrel availible for the savage 110, witch are pretty much offered at any reputible barrel maker. a vise helps as well, but it can be done without. if you want to know how to do it, get back to me and i can walk you through it. its really simple. email or IM through this site is fine. brian.
Old October 29, 2009, 09:15 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

Ken,

I just sent you a private message with some information I found on the Savage 110G model, made in the late 1980s early 1990s. One of the chamberings for two years was the .300 Savage.

Listed for two years and then withdrawn, apparently because the stock wasn't up to the recoil of the caliber....

Old October 29, 2009, 08:58 PM   #12
javven

There are definitely others out there. When I was stationed in AK I saw a few for sale if I recall correctly. 300 Savage is a fine round - great for the serious shooter who doesn't need ultra-magnum-whiz-bang
Old October 30, 2009, 07:27 PM   #13
Kendrickson

Well, I haven't called Savage yet as I have just been too busy at work...I do still plan on calling them to find the date of manufacture. I've decided I will probably keep this gun. If I were to sell it, then I would have to replace it before this deer season starts (and I would need to fund ALL of the next rifle with the proceeds of this one), and I am picky in what I would want for a replacement. I like everything about my gun except the expensive ammo, but I do not shoot it that much anyway. It's in near new condition, and has both the scope and the iron sights, which I prefer. I had no idea that so many of the newer inexpensive rifles did not have iron sights. I guess I have never really shopped for a rifle before (my dad gave me this rifle), so I was really surprised that so many people do without the iron sights. I would think you would at least want them as a back-up to the scope. There are enough 300 Savage rifles out there that I believe the ammo will be available for some time. So, I would still sell it if there was someone who wanted it badly enough to fund my next rifle, but since that is unlikely, I will plan on keeping it and using it this deer season. I have taken one deer with it a number of years ago....maybe I can do so again this year!
Old October 30, 2009, 10:21 PM   #14
trooper3385

I would definetly keep it. For one, it was a gift from your dad. So it has some sentimental value and It kind of unusual. You don't see many savage 110 300 savages laying around. It's a hunting rifle, so it's not one your going to be shooting boxes and boxes of ammo a year most likely.
Old November 14, 2018, 07:45 PM   #15
Bradleydude2

Kendrickson, I too have a Model 110 in 300 Sav. I inherited it about 5 years ago and was in the same spot as you, thinking of selling it to upgrade to a modern cartridge but couldn't find any information on the rifle. I have its nice to know I'm not the only person out there hunting with the model 110 in 300 sav. haha
Old November 14, 2018, 07:58 PM   #16
eastbank

I own and shoot two 300 savages, a Remington 722 and a Remington 700 classic and both will shoot nosler bt 150gr bullets at 2700 fps with ease, not much more needed for white tails. and with good scopes with shoot MOA or near it. I reload and have bought 200 or so cases at gun shows and flea markets very cheap, some times .50 cents to a few dollars a box for once fired cases.
Old November 14, 2018, 08:00 PM   #17
reynolds357

They made it in WLE 110 in early 90's.
Old November 14, 2018, 10:58 PM   #18
the Black Spot

I remember reading about a guy who went on a polar bear hunt using a .300 savage(i think Ben East wrote about it).
Old November 14, 2018, 11:35 PM   #19
Colorado Redneck

$35 for a box of ammo isn't that outrageous. If your gun shoots a particular round fairly well, a box will last a few years, no more than you hunt. But, as always, if you want a new gun, then that is a good option too.
Old November 15, 2018, 11:17 PM   #20
RC20

Savage will not have any information for you.

You can go over to the Savage Forum and they have links to general era.

As noted, you could re-barrel, ER Shaw would be fine for hunting purposes.

The long action means you are not limited to length of round. Bolt head might not need to be changed depending on what you choose.

PM me the SN and I can do some sleuthing if you like.

If I came across your era Savage at the right price I would buy it. The Top Bolt release is getting hard to find. I have built up 3 of them (two long and one short action) for target rifles with after market barrels.

They make a great base receiver for whatever you want.

I turned one into a 7.5 x 55 Swiss. Amazingly versatile receiver. As the 7.5 is an unusual size between a magnum and a 06 family rim, I just opened up the existing rim with a die grinder.

Its quite the cool feeling to not need a gunsmith and crank out a rifle that gets lots of oooos and ahhhhs at the range ( all 3 do)
Old November 16, 2018, 02:17 PM   #21
Mike Irwin
Staff

This thread originally petered out almost 10 years ago.

The OP hasn't been around in nearly 6 years.

No reason to resurrect this and reply to the OP as if he asked his question yesterday.

Going to close this one as past its freshness date.

Closed Thread