The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 9, 2018, 07:06 PM   #1
m&p45acp10+1

Browning Black Label 1911-.380

I managed to come into this gun. A long time family friend gifted it to me. He is going into a retirement community that does not allow guns at all. He bought this about a year ago, and never shot it. I helped him move, and took quite a few guns to his sons that he wants them to have. After loading up the last load he handed me a pillow case. He said "this is for you. I know you wanted one a while back when you took me shooting. I bought this one for me, but can not take it in there. The family heirloom guns have been sent to my boys, to be given to the grandchildren. Now this one if for you." I thanked him tremendously.

Also he has a cell phone, and still has his car. I told him he can shoot with me anytime I am not working. I hope he takes me up on it. I have taken him quite a few times over the past few years. He shoots some of mine, I shoot some of his. I helped him with the cleaning, and storage needs of the ones he had.

Here is a picture of the gun. My wife may end up confiscating it from me.

Old August 9, 2018, 07:25 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

They are nice guns. I have one, in the scaled-down Commander version.

Browning sure is proud of their magazines, though.
Old August 9, 2018, 08:16 PM   #3
indie_rocker

I have the Black Label Pro Full Size. Such a beautiful firearm. Bought it after a lemon of a RIA Baby Rock.

I ended up removing the ambi safety, it kept getting bumped off when I carried it. Otherwise, not a single complaint.
Old August 10, 2018, 12:20 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie rocker
I ended up removing the ambi safety, it kept getting bumped off when I carried it. Otherwise, not a single complaint.
How did you remove it, if I may ask? I know it's retained by a tiny roll pin on the right side, and I'm afraid to try removing that for fear of destroying something. And Browning won't sell me a single-sided safety, so there's nothing to replace it with if I did manage to get it apart.
Old August 10, 2018, 12:52 AM   #5
indie_rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
How did you remove it, if I may ask? I know it's retained by a tiny roll pin on the right side, and I'm afraid to try removing that for fear of destroying something. And Browning won't sell me a single-sided safety, so there's nothing to replace it with if I did manage to get it apart.
Just drive out the tiny toll pin with a tiny punch and the safety will come right off. If you ever want to do a detail cleaning, that needs to be done anyways. But I took it a step further and filed the remaining nub flush with the frame. I'm not a fan of how they attached the safety to begin with. Kinda flimsy. So I'm glad to see it go, permanently.
Old August 10, 2018, 01:24 AM   #6
indie_rocker

Here's a crude picture.
Old August 10, 2018, 06:24 AM   #7
cecILL

Nice job.
Old August 10, 2018, 07:27 AM   #8
smee78

Glad you were able to take your friend to the range. I always found it fun to go shooting with someone else when I went. Looks like a nice addition to your collection congrats on the new shooter. You helped a friend out without expecting anything in return and he repays your help in a excellent way. I hope it shoots as good as it looks, I though about getting one a few years ago but never did, I ended up adding a Beretta 84F and love it. Be sure to let us know how it shoots.
Old August 10, 2018, 08:44 AM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

What do you do about the plastic trigger coming off???
Old August 10, 2018, 09:06 AM   #10
indie_rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
You mean your trigger came apart? I'm not quite following here...
Send it in for repairs if you're having problems with the firearm.
Old August 10, 2018, 10:39 AM   #11
ttarp

Quote:
Same thing you do when the plastic trigger comes off of your Colt...

I just picked one of theses up a couple of days ago, I'd much prefer Aluminum or Steel, but you'd think plastic had proved its utility by this point.

OP, it looks great, I hope yall are able to enjoy it at the range together in the near future.
Old August 10, 2018, 10:51 AM   #12
HighValleyRanch

I want one!
Old August 10, 2018, 04:00 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

More info:

https://ezine.m1911.org//showthread....80-Black-Label
Old August 10, 2018, 05:57 PM   #14
indie_rocker

Not bad. My pistol came with two magazines though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Old August 10, 2018, 06:50 PM   #15
Model12Win

Interesting. In that size gun, I'd rather have the .45 for increased drop factor.
Old August 10, 2018, 09:28 PM   #16
kmw1954

Very nice indeed! Your friend has really shown his gratitude for your help and friendship. That doesn't happen every day!
Old August 10, 2018, 09:47 PM   #17
Bill DeShivs

"That size gun" is 80% the size of a .45 automatic 1911.
Old August 10, 2018, 10:01 PM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Same thing you do when the plastic trigger comes off of your Colt...
MY Colt doesn't have a plastic.. anything!

But then, its a Government model, .45ACP, and pre-series 70....
Old August 11, 2018, 04:26 AM   #19
PushPuller

Iv been wanting one of these for quite some time now! They're just a little pricey for what you get in my opinion. I like the two tone much better than the all black.
Old August 11, 2018, 11:48 AM   #20
rwagliardo

One of my absolute favorite guns.
Old August 11, 2018, 12:01 PM   #21
m&p45acp10+1

Well it shoots true with Monarch steel cased garbage can ammo. I ran it at the indoor range here in town, as it was 104 humidity in the 65% range outside. At 15 yards I was easily able to keep all shots inside the 8 ring on a standard B27. Even at a rapid rate of fire. Recoil impulse is low. My wife likes it very much. I will run some of my reloads through it sometime in the future.(100 Berry's plated bullet with 3.0 grans of Win231.)

It is a good balance between light weight, and low recoil. Still having enough site radius to shoot accurately at farther than belt buckle distance with high accuracy. There is enough grip for someone with smaller hands to get a good full grip on.
Old August 14, 2018, 04:08 PM   #22
Leaf

Browning 1911 .380 Pro with 4.25 barrel, G10 grips and rail, came with steel three dot combat sights and two magazines.

My only complaint was that in a right handed grip when taking my index finger off the trigger, my index finger had an occasional tendency to bump up against the slide lock pin causing it to get pushed out a tad and jam up the action.

Other than that annoying issue, the pistol is great fun. Then again I've always had a soft spot (in my head maybe) for plinking around with not-too-small .380 automatics. Wife loved it as a step up from learning on her .22 pistols.
Old August 14, 2018, 10:50 PM   #23
warnerwh

That is a gorgeous gun and a wonderful gift. Obviously your help has been greatly appreciated.
Old October 19, 2020, 06:00 PM   #24
JimCunn

"Interesting. In that size gun, I'd rather have the .45 for increased drop factor".

Mine fits in the same holster as my Kimber Micro 380.
My .45 1911 won't do that.