The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 5, 2018, 10:18 PM   #1
Prof Young

Guns sold ONLY to LEOs?

In California for nephew wedding. Hit the gun store in Hanford, CA. Had a great conversation with lady behind the counter and was helping my brother figure out what kind of compact 9mm he should get. I note guns in the display case that are marked LEO. I ask. She says those guns can only be sold to Law Enforcement Officers because of California laws. It has something to do with the micro stamping law (which is easily one of the most ridiculous laws anywhere), but I didn't follow the whole explanation. Had family waiting so couldn't pursue the conversation.

So, what is up with this guns sold only to LEOs?

And by the way, the Hanford CA gun store is well worth a visit.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old June 6, 2018, 07:35 AM   #2
MTT TL

In California, all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
Old June 6, 2018, 07:49 AM   #3
CowTowner

If I remember correctly, handguns not on the safe gun list or not compliant with the micro-stamping law can only be sold to LEOs in CA.
It seems it's perfectly OK for a LEO to own any type of firearm he/she wants, but not the regular citizen.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old June 7, 2018, 03:19 AM   #4
Hal

Bud's has some Sig 238's listed as for qualified professionals. There's three that all have model numbers ending in "LE".
The product descriptions say nothing about state compliance.
AFAIC-tell, there's nothing special about them.
Old June 7, 2018, 08:47 AM   #5
Bartholomew Roberts

It is the California gun safety list. Every handgun model sold has to be approved by the state in order to make sure it is “safe.” Currently only 310 models are approved. See: https://www.calgunsfoundation.org/roster/

Police, however, are exempt from having to buy only safety-tested handguns. Apparently on the theory that public servants have no need of drop safety, etc. It is a good example of what the other side really means when they talk about promoting “gun safety.”
Old June 7, 2018, 10:45 AM   #6
Pahoo

I've seen this !!!

A number of years ago, I worked with a dealer who was certified to sell to LEO's and they got a special rate. He also sold to the general public. He got in trouble for selling the LEO pricing to the general public. Eventually, he lost his certification and of course that pleased other dealers. …..

Be Safe !!!
Old June 20, 2018, 07:50 PM   #7
TDL

Quote:
So, what is up with this guns sold only to LEOs?
In Massachusetts the "Approved handgun roster" is a list that hinges on drop tests, accuracy tests, quality of materials and build and engineering tests. Essentially will it not explode or fall apart when fired a hundred times, and can it hit a garbage can lid 10' away fired from a vise.

BUT there is also a set of AG promulgated "Mass Comliance" attributes required (combinations of external safety, mag release safety, chamber indicators and/or trigger pull weight) that are for sales to civilians but not required for sales to LEO.

Glock 43 is on the Mass safe handgun roster. So LEO, including LEO for personal use, can buy it. But as far as I know not on the AG allowed compliant list.

so cali is not the only place where LEO is special when it comes to what models are allowed

Also lots of jurisdictions with mag limits exempt LEO, including retired LEO

incidentally washington DC allows civilians anything on Mass Roster but does not require they have "mass compliant" attributes.
Old June 20, 2018, 08:20 PM   #8
zoomie

Quote:
Bud's has some Sig 238's listed as for qualified professionals. There's three that all have model numbers ending in "LE".
The product descriptions say nothing about state compliance.
AFAIC-tell, there's nothing special about them.
That's just Bud's discount program, and it's MUCH wider than LEO. What's more, they'll often have, for example, a Sig 238 listed without the LE item number for a higher non-QP price, but won't sell it to you at the QP price. Exact same gun, 69 of them in stock, 0 for sale at the QP price. Kinda irksome, but their prices are hard to beat even without any QP gravy.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/..._discounts.php
Old June 20, 2018, 09:29 PM   #9
jmr40

Glock offers a LEO version of most of their models. The only difference is that it comes with 3 mags instead of 2 and it sells at a discounted price. There are restrictions as to who can buy them, but I don't think it is just LEO. Unless I'm mistaken anyone who works in public safety, a fireman, EMT, or military and has an ID can get the special pricing. This is Glock policy, not a state law.

At least in most of the country. I understand that many state laws are different.

Winston Churchill
Old June 23, 2018, 10:31 AM   #10
doofus47

Odd follow up question:
Does anyone remember that magazines of 10+ rounds made in the 90s during the ban were marked "For LEO use only"?

I don't have any of those nor do I live in California, but if I saw some at a gun show or whatnot would those be ok to purchase and use? Or are those magazines still only for law enforcement officials?

There is a 15 round magazine capacity limit in my state, so for the sake of fleshing out this imaginary scenario, lets say that the "for leo" magazine that I saw at a gun show was 15 rounds or less.

just curious.
Old June 23, 2018, 11:01 AM   #11
Ricklin

Don't know the law

In my experience you are fine. Those magazines are now "legal" they were likely made a couple years back when the "assault weapons ban" was in place.

Saw lots of LEO marked magazines back then. As long as they are not of greater capacity than the law allows in your location.
Old June 23, 2018, 11:13 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Of course there is always the risk that some under-informed officer will see LEO ONLY on your mag, and since you aren't LEO, assume it was stolen, taking it, and you into custody....

I'm sure if you have PROOF where and when you bought those magazines, it will all be sorted out rapidly...

Some of us would be in a pickle if asked for proof (like a purchase receipt) for something that cost less than $20 which we bought decades ago...

I don't have receipts for guns I bought decades ago...I probably don't have (or can't find = same thing) for stuff I bought last year...

With the sunset of the federal 94 AWB in 2004, all the FEDERAL requriements (including the law saying certain magazines were LEO only) went away.

STATE laws saying the same or similar things DID NOT GO AWAY!!!

Check your state's laws CAREFULLY!!!!!
Old June 27, 2018, 12:22 AM   #13
riffraff

I've seen a few AR's (Colt's I believe) marked for law enforcement use only, for sale at premium prices at gun shops in my state who advertise on Armslist.

Basically I guess, since they were built during the ban, and now are civilian legal, they command some premium for that stamping (actual collectors maybe?, ie versus hoarders who like extra rifles for the purpose of having working rifles )...

In a state where there are absolutely no laws specific to such models (NH), seems like a liability to own one if anything. As was stated - only thing different between a semi auto AR marked for LE only seems to be LE might think the label is still legally binding.
Old June 30, 2018, 10:37 AM   #14
doofus47

thanks.
Old June 30, 2018, 11:05 PM   #15
rc

Police/LE get special privilege. They don't have to obey the safe testing rules that govern what normal citizens can buy. So an "unsafe" gun in the hands of LE is assumed to be "safe". That "safe" gun can then be sold private party to a typical citizen through a dealer. Some LE got in trouble for profiteering. They were just exploiting the insanity of the law for profit. Any gun that's not on the generally approved list, should not be allowed for purchase by law enforcement if it was really about safety. rc