The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 13, 2022, 06:18 PM   #1
Prof Young

Sticky Ten guage . . .

Local range had 10 gauge turkey shells on the counter so I asked the owner if they had anything to shoot those through. The have a browning Invector BPS Steel . . . that's sticky. (See pic below.) Yeah it is literally sticky and has been recalled because of it the sticky. I handled it and the sticky stays on your hands until you wash or wear it off. Apparently one can send the gun into Browning and they will fix the sticky. I'm mildly interested because I've never owned or shot a ten gauge, but am hesitant for obvious reasons.

Talk to me.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Invector.jpg (96.2 KB, 37 views)
Old May 13, 2022, 06:43 PM   #2
Pahoo

Sticky Finish .... Right?

Prof,
Can you ask a question and are you referring to a "Sticky-finish" after handling it? ....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 14, 2022, 05:12 AM   #3
Prof Young

Yes.

Hey Pahoo!
Yeah, the finish on the whole gun is sticky and it stays on your hands. This, apparently, is a recognized defect with this model and they have been recalled for "repair." The gun in question has not been "repaired" yet. I can pass on a question.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old May 14, 2022, 05:50 AM   #4
Siggy-06

Browning's Dura-Touch Armor Coating has been having this issue for years. There was even a lawsuit filed and won, so Browning would correct all firearms using the coating from January 1, 2007 and August 8, 2017. However, there are still reports I've seen of sticky shotguns coming up post 2017. The turn around time could be up to 8 months just to refinish 1 gun.
Old May 14, 2022, 12:07 PM   #5
bamaranger

BPS

A pal had a 10 gauge BPS which had been customized into a dedicated turkey gun. Barrel shortened to 24 inches, a super full turkey choke fitted flush with the muzzle, stock and for end (wood) refinished matte like, and all metal likely pasteurized, as that was "the" finish of the era. A Kickeeze butt pad was fitted to the stock. Long before TSS shot, that gun threw dense patterns of copperplated #4 lead shot that were phenomenal, and deadly to distances I'm reluctant to print. As I recall, factory Federal 2-1/4 oz of shot was what the gun liked best.

The gun was HEAVY. Due to It's weight, and the custom pad, it was not unpleasant to shoot. When my friend put it up for sale, I was much interested.......'till I handled it at some length one afternoon. If one had to support that gun on a stubborn gobbler for an extended period of time, the gobbler would have had a distinct advantage!!!!!!!!!! Some type of shooting stick /support would have been a necissity!!!!!!! At home in a duck/ goose blind, it was NOT a gun I would want to run ridges and hollows with chasing rambling gobblers. I passed on the buy and did not regret it.

Might suit another's purposes, well made, reliable, but not for me.
Old May 14, 2022, 12:10 PM   #6
bamaranger

Oops

Parkerized........

As the wood stock/for end had been redone prior, can't comment on 'stickey".
Old May 14, 2022, 12:11 PM   #7
Virginian

I think you mean Parkerized, as pasteurization is a bit different.
Old May 14, 2022, 03:55 PM   #8
Pahoo

Traditions; Had/has the same problem !!!

Quote:
Browning's Dura-Touch Armor Coating has been having this issue for years. There was even a lawsuit filed and won, so Browning would correct all firearms using the coating from January 1, 2007 and August 8, 2017.
Thanks Prof.
Staying on-point as there were other manufacturers that encountered the same problem with this film coating. Traditions for one I ran into this on two of there MM/L's. I contacted Traditions and they were nice enugh to "send" me instruction on how "I" can correct the problem by dusassembling the firearm and spay coating it with semi-clear enamal or as an option, I can remove the camo coating with paint remover. So for now, I have an MM/L that I can't use until "I" decide my best option. ......

Be Safe !!!