The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 7, 2017, 09:14 AM   #1
redlightrich

1911 5" barrel choice

Hello all, I am in the process of building a top end for my Kimber 1911. I have been slowly finishing this up, and I am now at the point where I need to figure my barrel. I want to leave the original top end as it is, so I will not attempt to fit the original barrel to the new slide.

There are ample choices for this. Yes, I would like good accuracy, so I will spend a bit more, and fit it nicely.

I am considering Wilson Combat, Nowlin, and Storm Lake comes up enough too. This is a standard, non ramped barrel.

Does anyone have any feedback on these barrels? Does anyone have any recommendation that is not listed above? Any barrels to avoid ( like 60 dollar flea day offerings)

As I said, I would like to use this as an opportunity to increase the gun's accuracy. I don't want to sacrifice longevity either.

Thank you

Rich
Old August 7, 2017, 11:02 AM   #2
RickB

I'd recommend the Kart Xact Fit (f/k/a EZ Fit) barrel.
I like that the lower lugs are precisely machined to the correct specs, and that the fitting requires only hand tools.
I see people (gunsmiths at custom shops, in TV commercials for their shop) fitting barrels with a rat-tail file applied to the lower lugs, and can't believe it's possible to create the very precise and specific radii, flats, etc., in that manner.

The fitting is much more important than the brand. Some years ago, one of the gunrags did a barrel test, clamping them in a machine rest to test the accuracy of the tube, as opposed to the combination of bore and fitting being tested in a complete gun, and a wartime G.I. barrel was as accurate as at least one of the oversized "gunsmith fit" barrels.
Old August 7, 2017, 02:18 PM   #3
Mike38

Dittos on the Kart EZ Fit barrel. Very accurate and reasonably easy to fit if you buy the companion kit for fitting. The one I fit was a non ramped pistol. I had my doubts if it would feed semi wad cutter bullets. But with a tiny bit of relief on the bottom half of the chamber mouth, it feeds semi wad cutters flawlessly.
Old August 7, 2017, 06:35 PM   #4
smee78

As said above, Kart is a solid barrel.
Old August 7, 2017, 08:07 PM   #5
Scorch

Kart or Storm Lake barrels are what I use in builds.
Old August 8, 2017, 09:13 AM   #6
redlightrich

Thank you folks. It appears that I need to also check out the Kart barrel. At this point, I have now narrowed to to Kart or Storm Lake.

I do however find it interesting, to think of the barrel's own ability for accuracy. My guess is that many will perform similarly if clamped in some sort of holding device. Yes indeed, the fit will make the difference for accuracy. The quality will help the longevity.

I do see some super cheap, over sized ( for fitting purpose) barrels. But, I am very concerned that they would stand up to the stresses over time. To me, the 45 auto barrel appears thin as it is. Yes, the round has a low pressure, but man, I certainly don't want to test the quality of a cheapie barrel, while it is in my hand. No sir.

Thank you all, this site has the most helpful people ever!!!

Regards

Rich
Old August 8, 2017, 10:04 PM   #7
rock185

Hello Rich, FWIW I've used Kart EZ fit and gunsmith fit, BarSto, Schueman, Storm Lake, Wilson,etc. in past. These in .45 ACP, 10MM or 9mm. Better results with some than others. I recently took a chance and bought a barrel I'd heard of, but never used before, a RemSport in 9mm. Quite reasonably priced, beautifully machined, and required only minor fitting in my Kimber 38 Super slide. I didn't expect 100% reliability right off with the new barrel, but performance through a few hundred rounds, using 5 different kinds of factory ammo, has been flawless.The others are all good choices, but this initial RemSport barrel worked out so well for me that I would sure consider another in future.