The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 13, 2016, 10:24 AM   #1
GaryWWhite

P229 for IDPA?

Hi, I have recently started competing in IDPA using my 1911. Since I also carry my Sig, I was wondering if any of you have had experience in shooting this competitively. I would like to be capable of using this firearm as well as I do my 1911.
Old January 13, 2016, 10:53 AM   #2
9x45

Gary, honestly, I have only seen a couple of Sigs used in IDPA since the beginning, and almost none in USPSA, except for a handful of LEO. My 3 gun partner had an early 229 and it had it's share of problems. There certainly are not near as many compared to Glocks, CZs, S&W MPs, and Springfield Xds for the gun games. However since Max Michel started shooting for Sig, the P22 X-Five is gaining popularity. It's only results that count in the games, if it works for you, go for it.
Old January 13, 2016, 11:40 AM   #3
GaryWWhite

Thanks much! I want to keep my ranking as high as possible in IDPA so will stay with my 1911. Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat has a 5 x 5 drill out that I will begin using for the Sig. It can be found on his website.
Best Regards!
Old January 13, 2016, 12:42 PM   #4
RickB

We had quite a group of SIG fanboys at my club, six-eight years ago. There were five or six of them, and they were all acquainted with Bruce Gray of Grayguns; he's probably the foremost SIG 'smith in the country.
I've shot a full-house Grayguns custom P220, and it's nice, for a big, DA pistol, but it's no 1911 in terms of shootability (is that a word?).
That said, if you're carrying the SIG every day, I'd shoot that in IDPA competition.
I always wondered about, say, cops who carried guns on duty with DA triggers and decockers, but who shot 1911s with manual safeties and 2# triggers in competition? I would not want to have a "what gun is this?" moment if things get serious.
I focused on the 1911 early, and virtually all of my carry guns, competition guns, fun guns, fondling guns, are 1911 style. All have ambi safeties, triggers with approximately the same pull weight, square post/square notch sights, etc., so there's no adapting when changing from one gun to another.
Old January 13, 2016, 12:58 PM   #5
Kosh75287

Your performance in IDPA may decline from using the P229. Your performance in the real world may also increase from shooting IDPA with your P229. Outstanding performance in competition wins prizes. Outstanding performance on the street may win you nothing more than your life. But then, isn't that enough?

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old January 13, 2016, 01:02 PM   #6
9x45

My carry Glocks and competition Glocks are the same except for sights and the magwell. However most of the cops I shoot with run high end 1911s for the games, but carry Glocks/Sigs/HKs. But these guys are not the occasional shooters, they are USPSA A Class to Grand Masters. They don't have any trouble telling the difference on duty. I did carry and run competition with 1911's from 68 to 92, they will always have a better trigger than a Glock.