The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 20, 2017, 09:20 PM   #1
IDbound

Did Glock overcompensate on the 42?

While I bought my first Glock probably 20 years ago, just never really liked how I shot them. Also struggled with the first generation take down. Fast forward to today and I decided to buy a 42 as I was not shooting my Sig 238 as accurately as I had hoped.

After doing my homework I learned that the first models released didn't like powerful loads but that the models of the last several years have been improved. Well mine won't even begin to run somewhat light loads that the 238 handles just fine. So I loaded up some warmer loads and it will cycle the 6 in the magazine but stovepipes on the one fired from the chamber. I am hoping it is a heavy mag spring that will weaken over time.

By the way, totally happy with how this gun shoots. It just shoots lights out!!

Last edited by IDbound; August 21, 2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old August 20, 2017, 09:50 PM   #2
turtlehead

Took some time to learn how to shoot my P238 well. Almost sold it, in fact. Glad I didn't.

That said, I'm thinking about giving the Block a second look. Wasn't impressed with it the first time I handled one at the gun store. Staple gun trigger and weird hump on the backstrap. Will have to find one for rent.
Old August 21, 2017, 02:33 AM   #3
Ibmikey

I have both the Sig P 238 and G 42, carry and shoot the 238 almost all the time the 42 very little. Both pistols are easy shooters, the Sig more compact in size, has night sights and feels more like a pistol, the Glock a slightly better handful, shoots to poa, poorer sights than Sig, easy carry with no worries about scratches to the poly and both very reliable. Either pistol can perform it's task properly if the shooter has confidence in the weapon...I am comfortable with either.
Old August 21, 2017, 08:40 AM   #4
AK103K

I have a couple of 42's and had a P238.

I got my first Glock back in the 80's and quickly learned that Glocks like their ammo hotter than most. I quickly adjusted things upwards to adjust.

I dont think the 42's are any different. These days, mostly because of that experience with my first Glock, I load most of my auto ammo towards the upper end of the load data, and everything seems to work better because of it. Both my 42's (both early guns) ran great, right out of the box, and still do.

My P238 was unfortunately of the era of "problems", and I didnt keep it long. I dont think it ever made it through a mag without a stoppage, and it tore up 15-20% of the brass when it did run. It was a shoot shooter, and accurate, just very frustrating. It was the last SIG I bought before shifting over to Glocks. It was not the reason for the shift though. I still like the traditional SIG 'P' Series.

To be fair, the P238 is just another 1911 clone, and not really a true SIG 'P' Series. I think that was a lot of the issue there. Ive heard the newer guns are better, and I would hope they got them figured out.

My 42's are basically just a scaled and slimmed down Glock. They work and shoot just like their bigger siblings, and at distances you wouldnt normally consider with a gun that small.

I got the 42's before the 43's came out, and they basically convinced me not to bother with the 43's. I was thinking the 42, and 43 might be a better choice over the 26, but I was wrong. The 42's sit in the safe, the 26's get carried.
Old August 21, 2017, 12:37 PM   #5
IDbound

AK103A: I think you have a point about the Glocks liking a hotter load. It was a Powder Pistol load that I need to double check to see if it were only a low to mid range load. Makes me wonder how much extra stress the Sig endures on these hotter loads if it functions fine with soft loads. I do know the Glock has a much stouter recoil spring than the Sig.
Old August 21, 2017, 12:43 PM   #6
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K
To be fair, the P238 is just another 1911 clone...
Actually, to be fair, the SIG is a clone of a Colt which is the clone of a Star that was heavily inspired by the M1911 but not directly copied from it.
Old August 21, 2017, 01:44 PM   #7
jmhyer

Sorry, I can't really answer your question. Just wondering, though, if you've tried any factory ammo? How it handles factory loads would give folks a more standardized frame of reference.
Old August 21, 2017, 02:38 PM   #8
TailGator

Quote:
After doing my homework I learned that the first models released didn't like powerful loads but that the models of the last several years have been improved. Well mine won't even begin to run somewhat light loads that the 238 handles just fine. So I loaded up some warmer loads and it will cycle except for the first round over a full 6 round mag. I am hoping it is a heavy mag spring that will weaken over time.
I haven't owned one, but I was thinking that the reports about the G42 was that they preferred hotter loads. Maybe I am remembering it wrong. I have also seen people say that the mag spring wears in a little and is both easier to load and more reliable on the first round.

Glad you like it. I prefer the 238, but I'm glad we both had a choice.
Old August 22, 2017, 01:54 AM   #9
highrolls

IDbound: "After doing my homework I learned that the first models released didn't like powerful loads but that the models of the last several years have been improved. Well mine won't even begin to run somewhat light loads that the 238 handles just fine."

Same here. Been out three times with the 42. I really want to like this gun. First time, used the local generic "Independance" brand with 100 rounds in two boxes. Complete Glockified single shot. If its going to be a single shot, it better have some features like the TC Contender. Next, Winchester white box. 100 rounds of single shot. Next, 50 rounds of Winchester Silver tips. Same. Then some really old Aguilla. Same. Ordered a new, reduced strength recoil spring, as I do not believe the magazines are at fault. More old Aguilla and more Winchester White box. It stove pipes on Every round. After approaching 400 rounds, never a empty magazine hold back. I am wrong on the continious stove pipes. Sometimes, it shoots, no eject or cocked trigger, and the empty is just sitting there in the chamber.

I suppose my next trick will be to leave the gun cocked with the empty mag hold back engaged and leave it set for a few weeks, hopefully weakening the recoil spring more than the reduced one I bought. I am at a loss if that fails. I have not a happy history with customer service, so I am considering just dumping the thing (with failure notes for the next owner). I doubt I will even try warm loading for this thing. If it only wants to shoot Buffalo Bore, I am definately done with it.
Old August 22, 2017, 05:54 AM   #10
seeker_two

One thing to consider is that American ammo manufacturers load .380ACP lighter than their European counterparts. Try Fiocci or S&B to see if there's a difference.
Old August 22, 2017, 11:23 AM   #11
IDbound

I picked up some cheaper Magtech ammo to try tonight. I just shoot reloads so often I never gave it a thought to actually buy some factory ammo!
Old August 23, 2017, 09:02 PM   #12
IDbound

I guess I got luckier than "highroll". Ran the Magteck through and no issues. Guess my reloads using Powder Pistol were just a little borderline light. As I said before, it is pretty amazing what light loads the Sig 238 will eat. I am guessing a steady diet of Buffalo Bore etc. would probably shorten its lifespan whereas the Glock and its heavier springs would just keep going.