The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 14, 2017, 12:59 PM   #1
Scoits

204 Ruger

Advice on Remington- Ruger -Savage rifle for above cartridge.
Old July 14, 2017, 01:46 PM   #2
kraigwy

I have a Ruger #1 in 204, I got when they first came out. I was quite impressed with it, taking I don't know how many prairie dogs, foxes and coyotes.

Earlier this spring, we got invited to rid a 30,000 acre ranch of Prairie Dogs. My wife who also was involved and who was a fan of the 204 decided she wanted her own rifle. So she had me buy her a Ruger American Predator in 204 after my experience with my RAP in 6.5 Creedmoor.

She, nor I, were disappointed, The RAP is as accurate and rifles costing three times as much, an example being wife's 6.5 Ruger Precison, and my Ruger #1 in 204.

I don't believe you'll find a better rifle for the price of the Ruger American Predator. Just watch some of the You tube videos on the RAP.

We know the 204 isn't a big kicker, but I did put a muzzle brake on wife's rifle. Its then like shooting a laser where you can watch the result of the shot.

My problem with the 204 is I over "mathed" the trajectory. It shoots flatter then you think. I just zeroed ours for 250 yards and disregard the elevation knob. It'll shoot the little dogs about as far as you can see them.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 14, 2017, 07:15 PM   #3
jpx2rk

A RAP for a carry in the field gun would be a good choice. I have a RAR in 223, accurate with handloads. I chose the RAR over the Savage Axis based on how it felt when I shouldered the gun. The RAR felt more natural/comfortable to me.

I have a Savage FV12 in 204, very accurate gun with factory ammo. Not a field carry gun IMO, it's barrel heavy (26") with the plastic stock. The stock is usable on a bench, but a lot of people replace the plastic with their preference. If the 204 is going to be used off a bench/table, I suggest the FV12 from Cabelas at $370. If you want to carry the gun for your intended purposes, the Ruger would be the way to go.
Old July 15, 2017, 10:40 AM   #4
taylorce1

Good cartridge and I enjoy mine, but if you're going shoot factory ammunition get a .223 Rem. You can find the .223 Rem cheaper than .204 in most cases, while not a whole lot cheaper if you buy several hundred rounds the savings does add up. In a good prairie dog town it isn't hard to go through 100 rounds, and 500+ isn't unheard of. If you are just using it for coyotes and other small vermin then get the .204 Ruger and enjoy.
Old July 15, 2017, 12:09 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

What's your budget? You want an entry level hunting rifle or a gussied up varmint rifle?
A Remington M700 starts at an MSRP of a bit over a grand. $761 for an SPS Varmint. MSRP on a Savage M12 Varminter is $1293. $629 for a Trophy Hunter XP. $529 for a Ruger American Predator.
MSRP's don't mean a great deal though. Cheaper than Dirt lists M700's at $839, the SPS at $605, $404 for the Ruger and $509 and up for a Savage.
You should look locally(like Wally World) for ammo and/or brass first. The .204 is just odd enough that it may not be readily available everywhere. Suggest you look for reloading bullets too. .204". Kind of limited in weights but that's not really an issue.
Old July 15, 2017, 11:08 PM   #6
Colorado Redneck

I have a Ruger Hawkeye Predator in .204 Ruger. It has been an excellent firearm. It was accurate right out of the box, is over 3000 rounds and still shoots. The trigger s sweet. Very attractive gun with laminate stock. $850 should get one.

I had a Rem SPS. Required a Timney Trigger. Was persnickety as all get out, and it took a couple hundred rounds to find what it liked. Then around 2000 rounds it just went to hell.

Just my $0.02
Old July 19, 2017, 05:25 AM   #7
fourbore

I like the CZ 527 and have two in 223, a varmint and a carbine. The 527 American might be a good compromise. The varmint is a really optimum size gun for your intended purpose. Not as heavy as the name suggests and while I never had the target rich environment you have, I expect the barrel weight would help keep the temp down and allow more shooting.

I do understand the OP already has a 204 and is looking for a 2nd rifle so i will not pimp my choice of calibers. The 204 is popular around here and you dont have any confusion with sniper/tactical fast twist barrels. The 204 is pure varmint with corresponding ammo and barrels for that purpose. Easy.

The CZ has been offered in 204, but; I dont know the current availability. My 527 carbine shoots under 1 moa with inexpensive American eagle. The varmint does 1/2 moa with Fiocci. I dont waste my time hand loading for 223 when factory ammo shoots this well. I did not bother testing a lot of factory ammo either. The American eagle HP is all I ever shot in the carbine. I can only guess how these might perform if someone did the home work.
Old July 19, 2017, 07:13 AM   #8
Mobuck

Cartridge wise, the .204 fits a "niche" for some users giving nearly 22/250 trajectories w/o the recoil shifting the rifle off target. Being able to "see your misses" is a factor when shooting stuff like PD's w/o a "spotter". I've considered the .204 but I'm not a PD shooter and decided the bullet weight and diameter advantage of the 22/250 were more important.
I'd like to try a .204 18-20" AR but haven't felt the expenditure is worth the answers I might get.
Old August 5, 2017, 07:27 PM   #9
Ifishsum

Savage 12FV in .204R here. Easily the most accurate rifle I own, but it's definitely not a hiking around gun with a 26" heavy barrel. More of a set up a portable bench near a target rich environment type of gun. But it's a joy to shoot.