The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 2, 2017, 12:35 PM   #26
5whiskey

Quote:
My CZ is made in the USA by CZUSA
CZ does not manufacture any firearms in the USA. CZ-USA is the American subsidiary that imports them from the Czech Republic.

Quote:
The question is are US made firearms superior to foreign arms?
I know in the US we have mfg's that run the whole spectrum but lets say from teh major mfgs.. S&W, Ruger, Remington, Etc

The question isn't, SHOULD we buy Made in the USA.. The Question is are we really any better at it then the rest of the world these days?
I would say, short answer, is "it depends." American firearms manufacturers are doing well in many areas. Kel-Tec and Kahr are a little less popular than the major manufacturers, but they have some market share and are 100% American made. A Kahr is the only striker fired pistol I own, and I will say that it is very well put together fit/finish wise. They are also affordable, so I would rank them as a good value as anything else. Ruger and S&W both have the occasional fit/finish issue, but I would say they are competitive with gunmakers world wide if you weigh price/quality. Savage rifles come to mind... err... Savage circa 2005 or so (prior to the Axis/Edge) comes to mind. Excellent rifles with out of the box accuracy that competes well on the world stage, if you exclude the newer budget models. And lets not forget that there are tons of AR15 manufacturers out there now, and many of them are quite well made and at great prices today.

Probably the one area that American manufacturers might be taking a hit in is the semi-automatic pistol market. It is problematic to make a 1911 that must have some degree of hand-fitting to sell for under $500.00. RIA can do it, but we just can't make that beast in America and have the company turn a profit. RIA 1911s are highly regarded as good values in the budget 1911 world, I have one and I would say that reputation is deserved. Also it seems that American manufacturers are thin in the DA/SA hammer market (other than Sigs made in Exeter). For the other designs, I would say American made is as good as anything. Especially if you want a reasonably priced revolver that you expect to actually work (I'm looking at you, Brazil).
Old August 2, 2017, 12:43 PM   #27
FITASC

Quote:
Think about it, if someone handed you $50,000 and said you had to spend that money on an O/U shotgun, will you will you be looking at Ruger Red Labels or something by Holland & Holland?
50K will get you a nice downpayment on an H&H....... but your point is well-intended. You couldn't GIVE a Ruger shotgun - I owned one and know first hand how crappy they were........Now, that 50K on a nice Perazzi of Beretta SO.....................

Quote:
Browning Arms today is nothing more than a brand name owned by the Herstal Group
IIRC, Browning does make a few items, even here in the US - I believe the Buckmark pistol is one of those, but Browning has always outsourced production for the majority of their items - just like Charles Daly, Weatherby, and a slew of other known brands. No different than automobiles. Made in the USA is more like Assembled in the USA - and even then, the "foreign" brands are more likely to have a US plant than the "American" ones.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 2, 2017, 07:35 PM   #28
johnwilliamson062

I don't think US manufactured arms have ever really had an edge on some of the europeans as far as quality and I think it has been before I was born that some of the Japanese manufacturers started producing some of the finest arms.
Old August 2, 2017, 08:49 PM   #29
Doc Holliday 1950

We own Rugers(357 mags) & Glocks(9mms) .The only thing that I will buy that must be made in America is my ammo.

Doc
Old August 2, 2017, 10:41 PM   #30
Tinbucket

I can cover a lot of ground on this and not even begin but be off track.
Yes, Buy USA is patriotic. It saves and produces jobs. It raises the value of the dollar, something the Globalist don't like. They say it hurts our trade with other countries.
Other countries and Globalists an are utilizing the US ass a resource colony. We sell them wheat and soy and unprocessed oil and they sell it back to us s as finished goods at higher prices. They get the profits.
As a result, intentionally, we lose jobs and depress wages.
Everything we buy imported goes up in price as the dollar buys less.
Global Business like this cheap Bush's "The New Flexible Labor Pool" of minimum wage, part time, on demand, no benefits or health care, no retirement, no lunch breaks, subsidized by our Tax Dollars via Food Stamps if you manage 20 hrs a week.
The advantages of a weak dollar, would suggest more income to Americans but it ain't so. Globalist Wall Street leave nothing on Main Street.
No local or regional or national production(of wealth).
Remember the sixties and early seventies?
High School kids were buying 427 Galaxies with part time jobs.
People were putting money in savings and retirementns.
Local, State and Regional Banks gobbled up by the Fed and eventually Credit Unions.
this is too much already and is getting away form the subject of guns.
However the problem is not simple to explain or what we can/must do to be able to regain American(our) economy and superior goods and durable goods and the money to buy them and regain our American Dream.
This will be deleted as too political. It is only a beginning in explaining why it is good and why we should buy American firearms and everything else
Old August 3, 2017, 10:49 AM   #31
peterg7

I own Browning, Colt, Glock, H&R, Ruger, S&W and Winchester. Buy American? I say buy quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 3, 2017, 08:22 PM   #32
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Remember the sixties and early seventies?
No $250 cable bills
AND cell bills.
One, MAYBE two tvs in a 1500SF house.
That Galaxy went 50,000 miles, maybe.
And if you got in an accident going over 30 you might just die.
I've worked a lot of crappy jobs and a few good ones over the years. I wouldn't want to go back to the sixties.
Old August 3, 2017, 08:30 PM   #33
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbucket
this is too much already and is getting away form the subject of guns.
Yes, it is.