The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 20, 2019, 10:32 PM   #1
Mr.RevolverGuy

On Duty: The Federal HST 45ACP

Federal HST On The Front Line
Today we are testing the preferred 45ACP ammunition of the local law enforcement community.

Federal Premium 45ACP HST 230gr ammunition.
This test provides valuable information, chronograph data, accuracy data, penetration and expansion data.

Test Pistols
These pistols are what the local LEO community carries for on duty and off duty.
Glock 30

Glock21

Video
https://youtu.be/H1IGtk1U5nw
Guest Pistol
Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .454

Slow Motion Surprise
Pay close attention to the slow motion
Closing
In closing it seems for the federal HST to perform flawlessly it needs to be driven to a velocity of 800 to 850fps.
Old July 21, 2019, 06:20 AM   #2
OhioGuy

Nice review! I like your "Day at the Range" logo

Very well done video, thanks for sharing.
Old July 21, 2019, 06:52 AM   #3
Mr.RevolverGuy

Thank you, this was fun with surprising results
Old July 21, 2019, 08:06 AM   #4
zplinker

Interesting, and it duplicates what I've seen and done. A similar test, using milk jugs full of water, had a nice .45 caliber hole in and out of the first jug, then the second jug exploded. A comment was, 'oh, its HOSTAGE ammo...you can shoot right through the hostage, to get the bad guy'! Bullet performance is always affected by velocity, and at about 1100 fps, things actually work like I think they should. Hard to beat a Speer Gold Dot, loaded to that level. Gelatin, jugs, results are very similar, but water tends to cause jackets to shed.
Old July 21, 2019, 08:10 AM   #5
Mr.RevolverGuy

Zplinker are you saying you have a 45ACP round 230gr that reaches 1100 feet per second?
Old July 21, 2019, 08:45 AM   #6
zplinker

Not hardly! And I would never carry 230 gr. .45 ammo for serious business. The 185 gr. +P load does about everything better, given proper bullet construction, like the Speer Gold Dot.
Old July 21, 2019, 09:02 AM   #7
Mr.RevolverGuy

I say use what you shoot best. I love the feel of the 230gr recoil impulse more so than than the 185gr +p. A well placed shot is much better than a fast miss. The recoil impulse of the 185gr +p feels much like the 40S&W to me.

Thanks zplinker keep shooting and keep all rounds on target.
Old July 21, 2019, 01:42 PM   #8
TxFlyFish

Great vid very informative! Do we know the failure point of HST? I want to see what happens when you push it very fast
Old July 21, 2019, 02:17 PM   #9
Mr.RevolverGuy

Probably breaks apart leaving fragments.

Though I have to ask in self defense is there such a thing as failure WHEN a bullet fragments? I have recently asked myself this question because with a friend as a Doctor in the emergency room. He says his worst patient are ones stabbed and ones shot where the bullet has fragmented and they have to go looking for the pieces. Things that make you go Hmmm.

Hey I have a friend with a pistol caliber carbine in 45acp maybe the extra barrel length will add to the velocity and push the bullet to fragmentation.
Old July 21, 2019, 02:48 PM   #10
TxFlyFish

If HST is resilient and hangs on to the core for its dear life it could be a very useful hunting round. Gold dot for instance looks like a meteor when pushed beyond its limit...the jacket peels all the way back like a banana and tucks in behind the core
Old July 21, 2019, 03:37 PM   #11
Mr.RevolverGuy

I believe the HST might perform the same. I know the Speer Gold Dot is a bonded bullet and I believe the HST is also --- only one way to tell TEST IT!
Old July 21, 2019, 04:09 PM   #12
Ben Dover

Were those 230 HST rounds +P????

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old July 21, 2019, 04:19 PM   #13
Mr.RevolverGuy

No they are not +P
Old July 22, 2019, 04:29 PM   #14
shooter1911

Thanks, that was an interesting video. 45 HSTs are not actually bonded, but they emulate the effects of a bonded bullet if that makes sense. HST has become my carry ammo in my 1911s, and M&P 45C, because they always expand in 4" barrels or more, are very accurate, and highly reliable in anything I carry. They also have a pretty good street reputation.
Old July 22, 2019, 06:42 PM   #15
smee78

Thanks for the review, I always enjoy seeing how well or not a personal defense round performs and from different firearms.

Zplinker said "And I would never carry 230 gr. .45 ammo for serious business."...….really?
You know Speer makes a 45 ACP - 230 Grain JHP - Speer Gold Dot LE.

I guess I should only use it for non serious business???
Old July 22, 2019, 06:46 PM   #16
zplinker

Yes, Mr. Revolver Guy, I do tend to keep them in the middle, as recorded by a state PPC match, duty gun, with a 595/600. And that with a Glock 22, while the guys running the league were carrying Beretta's...'Gods' Gun'...but not a one used their real duty gun for the competition.

Oh well, to each his own, 'run what you brung'. Whatever trips your trigger. But do practice!
Old July 22, 2019, 06:59 PM   #17
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zplinker View Post
Yes, Mr. Revolver Guy, I do tend to keep them in the middle, as recorded by a state PPC match, duty gun, with a 595/600.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old July 22, 2019, 07:04 PM   #18
Ben Dover

Gel tests that I've seen seem to indicate that 230 grain +P significantly enhances performance.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old July 22, 2019, 07:10 PM   #19
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
Gel tests that I've seen seem to indicate that 230 grain +P significantly enhances performance.
It does?

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...llistic-tests/

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old July 23, 2019, 09:53 AM   #20
SATRP

+P, with slight deviation, does not offer significant velocity advantage.

HST LE ammo is excellent stuff.

The .45 ACP does not need tricks and gimmicks to work.
Old July 23, 2019, 02:53 PM   #21
18DAI

Excellent video and information! Thanks for posting it.

Yours is the 3rd video I have observed where HST 230 grain 45 failed when shot from a sub 4 inch barrel. That is why I do not use it in my short barrel 45 carry guns.

While HST recieves rave reviews and people point to how many agencies around the country are switching to it for duty ammo, I am not convinced that price point doesn't have more to do with that - than performance.

I will stick with RA45T. It has been killing bugs dead. For decades. Regards 18DAI
Old July 23, 2019, 05:12 PM   #22
fastbolt

Okay, notwithstanding that synthetic gel might offer some differences when compared to organic gel blocks ...

A couple of the other major ammo makers who offer their own top end LE loads have reportedly told customers that their JHP designs are optimized to offer the potential for expansion down into the low 700's (depending, obviously, on the actual conditions encountered outside a lab, meaning shooting non-homogeneous gel blocks of any formula ).

However, other "informal" tests have shown that even when using 3"-3.3"-3.6" .45's (shorter than the 3.78" of the G30/30S barrel) the 230gr standard HST can still expand in bare and "4 layer denim covered" (unknown weight of denim layers) synthetic gel blocks.

Randomly grabbed:
https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/a...-self-defense/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q28V7xQoZjc

After having seen how older revisions of the 230gr standard & +P SXT/T-Series loads performed when fired out of my 3.25" CS45, (test-shots of 802 & 839fps, respectively) I'm not at all concerned about using the assortment of RA45T, Golden Sabre or HST in my 3.25" & 3.75" short-barreled .45's.

Personally, I'm more interested in confirming how any particular load feeds & functions in my littlest .45's, especially when shooting 1-handed in "less than ideal" conditions, like rapid shot strings fired 1-handed from a close retention, hip level grip, and while moving within close range.

For me, the harder recoiling RA45SXT & RA45T, and the even harder recoiling RASXTP & RA45TP, offer some really brisk felt recoil in my small CS45 compared to other loads that aren't pushing the bullets quite so fast. I rather like the somewhat mellow felt recoil of the Golden Sabre load in my littlest .45, myself. Accurate, low flash signature, offers reliable functioning and it's accumulated a good record among LE users ... but it may not exactly be the cleanest burning load in the stable.

It's been so long since I've used the 230gr Gold Dot in my CS45 that I can't remember much of it, other than the felt recoil didn't seem bad, at all. I just don't have much of it left, as it's not often seen on store shelves in my general area, and it's not the most affordable load when it is on the shelves, and I haven't seen it being used by many agencies in my general area.

Even though the Speer 230gr GDHP is on the current state LE ammo contract, it's still more expensive than the Federal HST standard pressure load, so anyone wanting to make large orders my still find the HST to be the better deal. The difference may seem relatively minor at just less than sixty dollars per 1000rd case, but that can add up if you're going through a lot of shooters often enough.
Fed-P45HST2/1000rds/$0.3298rd/$329.80 per case
Speer CCI-53966/1000rds/$0.3897rd/$389.70 per case
Old July 24, 2019, 08:20 AM   #23
wild cat mccane

CCI/Speer and Federal are both owned by Vista Outdoors--which owns most US ammo too. ATK spun off ammunition to a sister company Vista and is the current ammo maker of Lake City Ammunition through Northrop Grumman. Lake City provides the DOD with all ammunition. This makes Vista the largest ammunition maker in the US, though Vista/ATK were also previously as they are the same corporation.

America capitalism--basically all one big corporation you didn't know was the same company

On to bullet failure:

You don't want bullets to fail by fragmenting or shedding it's copper jacket. It happens fast and you end up with a shallow failure (the good stuff of hollow points) and basically are left with an FMJ bullet after. So it's the worst of both worlds.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; July 24, 2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old July 24, 2019, 11:26 AM   #24
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
CCI/Speer and Federal are both owned by Vista Outdoors--...
Yes, they are both under Vista, and were ATK. They're both different companies and make different bullets/lines, though.
Old July 24, 2019, 01:14 PM   #25
T. O'Heir

The local law enforcement community doesn't get a choice of ammo. They use what the higher ups buy for 'em. Just like the pistol they get issued. Which is highly unlikely to be a .45 ACP. Absolutely not a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454.
"...what the local LEO community carries..." The Ohio State Highway Patrol carry a SIG in .40 S&W. The Columbus Police Department has carried an S&W M&P 9mm since 2017. No mention of who got the ammo contract for either.