The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 28, 2019, 05:53 PM   #1
stagpanther

And now for something REALLY completely different

It's been a while since I last did an AR build, and I got the itch again--but this time I'm really going out on a limb and trying something wild and whacky (for me, anyways). I'd spill the beans now, but there's a good chance it may not work (hint, nobody makes them as far as I know, probably for good reason ). I'll drop some hints from time to time as parts come in.
Old June 28, 2019, 07:37 PM   #2
CarJunkieLS1

Better not be the 7.92x33...because that ship has already sailed.
Old June 28, 2019, 08:01 PM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
Better not be the 7.92x33...because that ship has already sailed.
I like you're thinking--performance wise probably pretty close to that if my plans come together right. The fine folks at McGowen helped me pull off my 284 win project which turned out great and I am enlisting their help once again. One reason I like them so much--I'll call 5 other manufacturers who will give me every reason under the sun why they can't/won't do a one-off barrel--but when I call McGowen it's usually "Hey, that sounds cool, let me get our guys on the line and see how we can do this."
Old June 28, 2019, 09:21 PM   #4
CarJunkieLS1

Interested in your project let us know how it turns ou5 PLEASE!

Me and a friend of mine are working on AR pistols in 7.92x33. He already has a AR rifle in it and it's been great on paper and deer. Lots of people said it can't be done and function reliably well we've already proved that wrong lol.

We do the machine work so that helps us out alot all we needed was a 8mm blank and then it's just lots of machine work.
Old June 29, 2019, 12:48 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

if it uses an AR action, how can it be "REALLY completely different"????
Old June 29, 2019, 03:41 AM   #6
stagpanther

Quote:
if it uses an AR action, how can it be "REALLY completely different"????
Well, all my builds have always attempted to be as "plain Jane" in appearance as possible since I generally attempt to make woods-carry hunt capable out of them. I'm an artist at heart, and this one I decided I'm going "psychedelic" space gun on just because--just because.

Quote:
Interested in your project let us know how it turns ou5 PLEASE!

Me and a friend of mine are working on AR pistols in 7.92x33. He already has a AR rifle in it and it's been great on paper and deer. Lots of people said it can't be done and function reliably well we've already proved that wrong lol.

We do the machine work so that helps us out alot all we needed was a 8mm blank and then it's just lots of machine work.
My project doesn't even come close to being as interesting as that! So you guys basically made an MP44 AR? Did you do a write-up? You guys do your own chamber reaming? That's a BIG advantage.
Old June 29, 2019, 03:50 AM   #7
armoredman

There was a Space Force AR on a different forum that was, quite truthfully, out of this world, like an AR and an M41A Pulse Rifle had a love child.
Looking forward to seeing yours, sir!
Old June 29, 2019, 04:01 AM   #8
stagpanther

Quote:
like an AR and an M41A Pulse Rifle had a love child.
Don't give me more ideas--I've already allocated over a grand in this project!
Old June 29, 2019, 04:03 AM   #9
FrankenMauser

Ah. I know...
It's a Noreen 'full length' AR converted to 7.35×51mm Carcano!
Old June 29, 2019, 04:19 AM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
Ah. I know...
It's a Noreen 'full length' AR converted to 7.35×51mm Carcano!
I called them once and asked them if I could buy their receivers which are "long action cartridge capable." No go. (they even have posted on their website "don't ask") My build will be based on AR15-sized parts.
Old June 29, 2019, 08:34 AM   #11
CarJunkieLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Well, all my builds have always attempted to be as "plain Jane" in appearance as possible since I generally attempt to make woods-carry hunt capable out of them. I'm an artist at heart, and this one I decided I'm going "psychedelic" space gun on just because--just because.

My project doesn't even come close to being as interesting as that! So you guys basically made an MP44 AR? Did you do a write-up? You guys do your own chamber reaming? That's a BIG advantage.
Yes we do our own chamber reaming, barrel turning, drilling gas ports, modifying mags, etc.

I already have a 7.62x39 carbine and pistol so the 8mm Kurz is kinda redundant, BUT I don't believe an 8mm Kurz AR pistol exists so we may have the first 2 ever made. As far as we've ever seen he has the only 100% reliable 8mm Kurz AR-15.

The modifications necessary for it to work were his doings so I have been sworn to secrecy as to how we got his rifle to work, but when they are complete I'll have all info posted, velocity, function, accuracy, etc.

We build around the 8mm 125 grain HP made by Hornady available exclusively at Grafs & Sons online.
Old June 29, 2019, 08:48 AM   #12
stagpanther

Quote:
Yes we do our own chamber reaming, barrel turning, drilling gas ports, modifying mags, etc.
I'm very interested in magazine modifications--that's the only weakness in my 284 win build--the cartridge dimensions cause magazine swell past 4 cartridges--I know if the internal side to side distance on a conventional 308 mag are just a tad less, and perhaps the top of the magazine more rigid, than the problem would likely go away, and probably for other odd-ball cartridges as well. It's amazing how prevalent the problem really is in the industry but very few--if any--manufactures recognize and make special magazines to address these issues. I've spent a fortune on top-rated magazines and more than half the time are disappointed as to how they come up short.
Old July 2, 2019, 04:30 PM   #13
bfoosh006

A wood upper and lower AR has already been done.... Lol

Curious what you are gonna make...
Old July 2, 2019, 05:32 PM   #14
stagpanther

Quote:
Curious what you are gonna make...
I'm still "in negotiations"--so it's not quite a sure thing yet. Sorry to be a tease.
Old July 2, 2019, 09:46 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

ok, let me put this another way,

If it uses some variation of an existing action design, how can it ne "REALLY completely different?"

It can be new, different, unique, it can be a lot of things but to me
"really completely different" means a new design action no one has ever done before, and those ideas are pretty thin on the ground.

Which doesn't mean your project isn't worth doing what ever it is you decide it to be. I just mean that if it is based, even loosely on an existing design, its not really completely different.

TO me, anyway.
Old July 3, 2019, 12:03 AM   #16
stagpanther

Well, perhaps this will help explain...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk-kQSz-Qv0 (my project is based on an existing cartridge--so yes I LIE)
Old July 3, 2019, 11:54 AM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

ok, its a lie, but at least you're honest about it.
Old July 5, 2019, 12:03 PM   #18
stagpanther

Parts are starting to trickle in. Never tried a Hiperfire before--heard good things about em.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1843.JPG (210.4 KB, 1000 views)
Old July 6, 2019, 01:04 AM   #19
armoredman

Interesting
Old July 6, 2019, 07:39 AM   #20
9x19

Red anodizing?!

Now, that is really, completely, different!

Old July 6, 2019, 09:31 AM   #21
stagpanther

My builds are generally as boring as can be--I decided to go "all out bling bling" on this one just for the fun of it.
Old July 6, 2019, 12:31 PM   #22
9x19

Quote:
...I decided to go "all out bling bling" on this one...
Meh, red falls a little short though. After all that bar is set rather high....

Old July 6, 2019, 12:40 PM   #23
stagpanther

You do that? Looks awesome! (except with my shooting abilities I probably wouldn't want to shoot in public)
Old July 6, 2019, 08:01 PM   #24
9x19

Not mine, just offering you a taste of what you're up against.

Old July 6, 2019, 08:09 PM   #25
stagpanther

Humiliated before I even get the build done.