The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 27, 2019, 08:01 AM   #26
FITASC

Quote:
But...aren't recoil operated guns (Browning A5) and inertia guns (Benelli/Stoeger & others ) different in operation, ie, two separate action types? I see the terms and guns being used interchangeably in this thread. Is that exactly right?

Traditionally, the A5 has been thought of as reliable but a kicker and somewhat slow cycling. The inertial guns are usually touted as reliable, moderate kickers, and very fast cycling.
Correct, those are the three basic semi actions (including the gas). (There are a few quirky one-off variations, but those are somewhat rare)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 28, 2019, 02:10 AM   #27
jmstr

Would the Winchester Model 50 semi-auto be considered an 'inertia' shotgun by today's standards?

I know their advertising made a HUGE deal about it not being a long-recoil operated shotgun, a la Browning Auto 5.

I have read it referred to as a short-recoil shotgun. but, what is the difference between short recoil and inertia?

Thanks- interesting thread!
Old February 28, 2019, 02:40 AM   #28
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmstr View Post
Would the Winchester Model 50 semi-auto be considered an 'inertia' shotgun by today's standards?

I know their advertising made a HUGE deal about it not being a long-recoil operated shotgun, a la Browning Auto 5.

I have read it referred to as a short-recoil shotgun. but, what is the difference between short recoil and inertia?

Thanks- interesting thread!
Winchester model 50 is indeed special. Haven't seen one myself, but read about it. It is considered half short recoil and half inertia.

If the barrel moves back more than a shell length, as in an A5, it is considered long recoil; short recoil otherwise if the barrel moves at all. Model 50 actually has a floating chamber that moves back about 1/4" locked, then the inertia action finishes the rest of the cycling.

For sure it is not a gas operated action.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old February 28, 2019, 08:11 AM   #29
amd6547

My shotgun needs tend towards the self defense aspects, and I have two. A Mossberg 500 made to be as short as possible with an 18” barrel and a 12” lop stock.
My semi is a Beretta 1201FP, which is like a Benelli M1 Super 90...an inertia gun. It is indeed very fast, and since my last auto was a long recoil Remington Model 11 (Auto 5) I don’t really notice any recoil difference.
As far as the Auto 5 action being slow cycling, I’ve seen the Model 11 fire five rounds of 00 Buck so fast that all five empty hulls were airborne in a short line...seemed plenty fast to me.
Old March 3, 2019, 04:21 PM   #30
dgludwig

Of course, there is always the design Mr. Browning's son, Val, helped develop, the "short-recoil" Browning "Double-Auto", one of the finest examples of an auto shotgun ever made for hunting upland birds, imo.
Old March 5, 2019, 08:20 PM   #31
Rifletom

Someone mentioned earlier that a gas operated shotgun will reliably feed "lighter rounds", like 7/8oz target loads better than inertia guns. I do not have experience with the inertia guns, but, my Mossberg 930 "Duck Commander" [discontinued] field gun shoots all factory loads very reliably and is a very soft shooter. I looked at a couple of Benelli's, but, those were out of my price range at the time. Happy with the 930's performance so far. About 2,000 rounds, no hiccups. It is strictly a upland and occasional trap gun.
Old March 5, 2019, 08:34 PM   #32
Blindstitch

Rifletom how often do you clean it? And any problems with cleaning?
Old March 5, 2019, 10:55 PM   #33
Rifletom

Blindstitch, about every 250-300 rounds I suppose. No, not really. First time was simply a learning experience, after that, pretty simple. Clean like any other semi, make sure the gas ports are clean and away you go. I really like it, so, I'm not sure why some complain about these. Perhaps it has to do with the JM models and the fast shooting, extended mag version. Not sure. No complaints on my end. A fine semi-auto shotgun for my needs.
Old March 6, 2019, 09:02 AM   #34
Ricklin

Shutdown

The shutdown has become a weekly headache for me.

About 6 years ago I signed up for NEXUS It's a joint US/Canada program to allow quick border crossings as I was going over the Maple Curtain a lot.

I discovered that the card also qualifies one to have TSA pre check. I travel for work constantly. Pre check is a necessity if you travel like I do.

Well I sent my renewal in a few days before the shutdown. Of course they ran my card when I sent the renewal.

I'm still waiting and it was a renewal. I have to fly tomorrow. I checked their site and it states approved, I must receive my card before I get my pre check status back.

Grrrrr.
Old March 6, 2019, 10:10 AM   #35
FITASC

Quote:
Someone mentioned earlier that a gas operated shotgun will reliably feed "lighter rounds", like 7/8oz target loads better than inertia guns. I do not have experience with the inertia guns, but, my Mossberg 930 "Duck Commander" [discontinued] field gun shoots all factory loads very reliably and is a very soft shooter. I looked at a couple of Benelli's, but, those were out of my price range at the time. Happy with the 930's performance so far. About 2,000 rounds, no hiccups. It is strictly a upland and occasional trap gun.
I have 2 Beretta A400s, the Xcel and the Xplor Unico. Both handle my 3/4oz reloads with zero malfs. Makes shooting a lot of targets in one day enjoyable.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 6, 2019, 10:38 AM   #36
Rifletom

FITASC, good to know. As mentioned, I don't have a lot of first hand knowledge of inertia guns.
Old March 6, 2019, 11:10 AM   #37
FITASC

Mine are gas guns. Inertia guns wouldn't cycle those loads.
Old March 6, 2019, 11:51 AM   #38
Rifletom

LOL! Well, still good to know. Shows you my infinite knowledge of shotguns. Gads!
Old April 4, 2019, 05:53 PM   #39
Blindstitch

Well after 6 months of searching I finally decided to pick up the Mossberg 935 Magnum waterfowl edition. Every time I held a mossberg it fit perfect so after this weekend I went to Gander Outdoors which is the only store locally that has it. I shouldered all the shotguns I was making the decision between and once done the Mossberg was the winner. Looked at the price tag of $749 and thought why since the MSRP is $730 and nobody pays that price. Went to Dunham's Sports and they have a new online ship to store and I ordered one there for $619. $130 savings so this new Gander can go out of business to.

Now to learn how to break it down and clean out whatever goo is in there.
Thanks Everyone. Held lots of guns and almost bought a Franchi Affinity.
Old April 4, 2019, 06:35 PM   #40
FITASC

Funny, the Ganders I have been in have been lower than most places, and if you're a Good Sam member, you get another 5% off, even guns
Old April 4, 2019, 09:22 PM   #41
Blindstitch

Not that you guys wouldn't believe me but I was in the Kenosha Gander and it was $750 but the online price shows $730.
https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/mossb...un-206946.html

Dunhams price $619.
https://shootingstore.dunhamssports....-syn-stk-mosgb

Another customer commented well that's the price of redneck fashion. And that it was a Camo tax. Worth the laugh.
Old April 5, 2019, 08:27 AM   #42
eastbank

i have shot all the action types posted about and found then ok with in the scope of their use. I fun shoot them all, but for clay games its browning single shot(BT-100 singles trap) and browning over unders for the rest. I some times run 1100-1187,s and a few double barrels some times. I don,t degrade any one choices, use what works for you and enjoy the ride. for lenth of shooting with out a lot of time at cleaning a good o/u is hard to beat. I have been shooting my BT-100(singles trap) for over 9 years and over 50,000 shells with out one cent in repairs and to clean it after 2-3 hundred rounds is double pull thru,s with a bore snake, one with a good powder solvent and and the second with a good lube and done in 2-3 minutes.

Last edited by eastbank; April 5, 2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old April 5, 2019, 01:29 PM   #43
Blindstitch

A good double is hard to beat but would you risk dropping it in the lake, pond or other water source when duck hunting. Not me. That's why the Browning Citori stays on dry land.
Now if Browning made a more inexpensive over/under with synthetic stock that didn't break the bank i could have easily saw myself buying it.
Old April 5, 2019, 07:17 PM   #44
eastbank

I have never taken my o/u,s duck hunting, but not for fear of dunking them in the water, it,s reloading that's a PIA with the break action. I run my 1100-1187,s for that type of hunting.
Old April 6, 2019, 09:22 AM   #45
FAS1

Congrats on the new Mossberg OP! My field gun is still the first all around use shotgun that I bought, probably in the early 90's. It's a Benelli Super 90 Field 12 gauge. It's really been a great gun and one that just fits right to me so I understand the "feel" has to be good and it has to fit you properly.