The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 26, 2019, 10:54 AM   #51
rodwhaincamo

I only have a ROA and NMA, and love them both. But with as much as I’ve read how well the ‘51 Navy points I’d be inclined to ream the chambers to .40 and sleeve the barrel creating something along the lines of the few prototypes Colt created along with the .36 for the military to test. I have always liked larger calibers.

And I’d have Accurate Molds create another custom WFN design, though maybe a HP with an epoxied HP pin on the ram as another has done so as not to deform the cavity upon loading.

Barrel length wouldn’t be longer than ~5.5”. I’d want it as short as possible and still be able to effectively use the loading lever. Ideally I’ve always felt 4” was ideal for a sidearm for the woods. But I’ve had a fellow who cuts down these revolvers state he felt it took 3.5” to consume a proper powder charge (30 grns in a .44?).
Old April 26, 2019, 08:57 PM   #52
Stormson

I guess I was wrong. Could have SWORN that he said he could only get around 20grs in his La Mat, but went and watched one of them again today (hes got at least two) and he said he was using 25 with Dick Dastardly's tower of power loader.

Then I saw another guy who said he got 33grs in... So... Damn. Now Im back to cussing my poverty and wishing for a Le Mat!!!! LoL
Old April 26, 2019, 10:33 PM   #53
rodwhaincamo

Of course when anyone sees how something was loaded with X number of grains it’s hard to say just how that equates to what we individually know. My rifle measure dropped 30 grns for my NMA, but when I weighed it it weighed roughly 33 grns (3F Olde E).

20 grns is what a compact .36 cal typically seems to hold. For a .44 cal that would be really anemic.
Old April 27, 2019, 02:55 PM   #54
freedom475

2 Words ... "Premeditated Murder" .. Yep true story!!

It takes forever to load a C&B, so when some women used one on an abusive boyfriend she was found guilty!! She was ready, and therefor it was premeditated according the the prosecuting attorney. The ignorant jury agreed.

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Old May 5, 2019, 04:17 PM   #55
woodnbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom475 View Post
2 Words ... "Premeditated Murder" .. Yep true story!!

It takes forever to load a C&B, so when some women used one on an abusive boyfriend she was found guilty!! She was ready, and therefor it was premeditated according the the prosecuting attorney. The ignorant jury agreed.
I was a first responder to a shooting exactly like you describe. Abusive boyfriend was drilled thru the sternum by one ball from a .44 NMA. The prosecutor did not attempt to make the premeditation argument based on the loaded condition of the firearm. IMO that should be rejected by any thinking jury... “was the gun loaded?” Of course the gun was loaded! What good is a gun that’s not loaded!”

Every single instance of a defensive use of a firearm involved exactly the same degree of “premeditation”. In the instance I’m referring to, the woman was acquitted of second degree murder. Rightfully so. He was a @#$%@# and sooner or later he was going to kill or maim her.
Old May 5, 2019, 05:08 PM   #56
44 Dave

Old friend always said "2 useless things an unloaded gun and an empty whisky bottle".
I have one loaded and capped at all times.
Old May 5, 2019, 06:26 PM   #57
woodnbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 Dave View Post
Old friend always said "2 useless things an unloaded gun and an empty whisky bottle".
I have one loaded and capped at all times.
This^^^
Old May 6, 2019, 01:25 AM   #58
rodwhaincamo

My NMA is capped and loaded, as is my whiskey and scotch bottles.