The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 2, 2013, 06:57 AM   #1
1stmar

What do you carry when you can't carry a gun?

Title says it all... When you can't carry a gun what do you guys carry ?
Old February 2, 2013, 07:08 AM   #2
Nathan

5" 1911
Old February 2, 2013, 07:13 AM   #3
manta49

Nothing i don't feel that threatened to need to.
Old February 2, 2013, 07:13 AM   #4
Dwight55

Anymore, it is very rare when and where I cannot CCW, . . . but those times do occur.

I carry to that location if at all possible, . . . and of course from, . . . leaving my CCW locked secure somewhere near.

In it's place, I have a couple of small knives, . . . that for instance the other day at a local hospital, . . . I left at 2:30 AM, . . . the knife was open and in my hand inside my glove. It is the next thing to razor sharp and though small, . . . I wouldn't want to be cut with it.

I had to walk a couple of blocks in the dark to a parking garage, . . . and really did not relish the possibilities there as the area has a small crime problem.

But most of the time, . . . my biggest weapon, . . . CCW or not, . . . is simply my attitude, demeanor, and situational awareness. I was an 11B Platoon Sergeant for several years, . . . and I remount that persona when I am out and about, . . . especially in a questionable area.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old February 2, 2013, 07:48 AM   #5
Patrice

Hhmmm....Well, the best thing to carry is one's brain; truly the weapon is what's inside the the skull. I was always taught that a gun, knife, or other implement is simply a tool. Field expediency can also convert a lot of commonly carried items an implement that can be utilized for defense/attack.

But, to answer the question of this thread more directly....A walking-cane is nice, especially if one limps a little.--Patrice
Old February 2, 2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Willie Lowman

Colorful language, bad breath, and a Benchmade 551.
Old February 2, 2013, 09:12 AM   #7
sigshepardo

Just like a few others have already said, I carry my mind. Situational awareness and knife. A good knife can be sometimes more useful in close quarters than a gun. So long as you know how to fight with a knife.
Old February 2, 2013, 10:25 AM   #8
MTSCMike

Two Benchmade folders, a left hand Stryker and a right hand Emerson CQC. One for each (or either) hand depending on the situation. They also make great letter openers!
Old February 2, 2013, 10:51 AM   #9
ibewbull

carry something yes.

When I was in the Navy we had a roll of dimes in our pocket if all else failed.
I recall getting a big a*s chewing once for not having a belt on. As a last ditch handy weapon it works. I ended up grabbing a near by beer bottle and the shadowy figures waiting for us vanished when they saw we were ready to defend our combined $6.00 to the bitter end. We were young abd bull headed enough to do it too.
Improvise and overcome. A spray can of wasp hornet will make an impression on an attacker.
A pair of handcuffs can hut a bit when impacting a melon at any speed.
Back in the time of car antennas they made a great whip weapon.
Then there is the rolled up magazine/news paper with some tape wrapped about it. I always have a roll of scotch 33 handy.
All in all the comment of bring your brain is the best one yet.
Everything is a weapon if we just think.
Instinct and retreat is always an option. Well if you can still run. I am too old and tired to run.

Old February 2, 2013, 11:07 AM   #10
Ben Towe

Blackhawk XSF Punch Dagger around my neck, Benchmade Triage clipped on my pocket. I have them whether I'm carrying my pistol or not.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1359821055840.jpg (84.2 KB, 133 views)
Old February 2, 2013, 11:21 AM   #11
jon_in_wv

It doesn't hurt to know how to use your whits but if we were that smart we wouldn't need to CCW either. If you are able you should take a little time to learn to use your hands or feet too. The fact is you are probably a lot more likely to need those one day than your handgun. One thing I used to do when I taught Taekwondo was to ask a new student if they have ever punched anything as hard as they can. Most people haven't. If you have never used your fist why would you think you will be able to use it to defend yourself effectively? None of us would CCW weapons if we have never shot. I've even taken some guys who thought they were pretty tough and had them punch a heavy bag hard. It brings them down to earth pretty quickly when they realize how bad their fist or wrist hurts and how little power and accuracy they actually had. Most people need a little training and practice to defend themselves effectively. Most criminals got it by street fighting and you are likely to get your butt kicked hand to hand. A little instruction and practice can make a huge difference for the rest of you.
Old February 2, 2013, 12:30 PM   #12
Nanuk

The only place would be the federal building, then nothing.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old February 2, 2013, 12:33 PM   #13
1stmar

Thanks guys, I am situational aware and have several different types of training. I'm mostly interested in the tools. I'm looking for something small, effective easy, quick to deploy that can be kept in a suit.
Old February 2, 2013, 12:43 PM   #14
ShamrockArmory

Benchmade folder, kubotan keychain, and several years experience in Army Combatives.

Touching on what people have already said, mindset is your best defense.
Be aware of your surrounds, have an escape plan, know what around you is cover and concealment, and know the difference between the two.

In a pinch, anything can be a weapon. A rock, glass shards, keys, your size 12 boot, anything. Preparedness is 90% mindset though.

I recommend to my friends who can't carry at work to keep a Kimber Pepperblaster 2. Very user friendly, handles like a pistol with a grip and trigger and all that. Built in belt clip for easy concealment, and it's a gel, not a spray, so there is less "spraying in the wind" effect. Obviously, it's not 100% effective, but it could provide you with enough of a distraction to get to a better weapon, or get the hell out of there.

Purity of heart, strength of arms, and truth in words.
Old February 2, 2013, 01:12 PM   #15
Dragline45

A fixed blade knife 3 1/2" double edged in a kydex IWB sheath.
Old February 2, 2013, 01:12 PM   #16
Sixer

DPX HEST 2.0... but I carry that all the time either way

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old February 2, 2013, 02:01 PM   #17
1hogfan83

Mini griptillian and a leatherneck juice for everyday use. SOG Aegis for other stuff.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old February 2, 2013, 02:42 PM   #18
1stmar

Don't know much about knives, what do you think of the karmabit? I like the security it provides with the loop.

http://www.theultimateknife.com/
Old February 2, 2013, 03:26 PM   #19
ShamrockArmory

I am by no means a "knife fighting expert," but the Karambit or whatever seems a little gimmicky.
My Benchmade Griptillian can open and close one handed with the thumb studs, and it's not spring assisted. So can my SOG Visionary, which is made of a lot better steel than what the Karambit is for about the same price.

Purity of heart, strength of arms, and truth in words.
Old February 2, 2013, 03:42 PM   #20
Jayster

Gerber Vallotton and/or pocket pepper spray.
Old February 2, 2013, 04:16 PM   #21
orionengnr

LCP.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about places where it is not legal to carry (because then I don't) ...just talking about places where I cannot dress around a "real" gun.
Old February 2, 2013, 04:23 PM   #22
The Baron

I carry an SOG Flash Tanto wherever I go.
Old February 2, 2013, 05:22 PM   #23
JD0x0

Mini arm-retractable flamethrower, what else?
Old February 2, 2013, 07:05 PM   #24
jason_iowa

I usually have a knife and multi tool but doubt I would ever use either for self defense. The only places I go where I can not carry there are armed people around that I trust.
Old February 2, 2013, 07:06 PM   #25
Brit

Benchmade Griptillian, tanto half serated, 3.5" blade. Pull down on spring loaded button, flick, click!

City stick, as in CA. Very light, more or less unbreakable! Gets us on first on a plane, do have some old injury's to make it legit!

Slash with knife, or cane. Bayonet strike to sternum with the cane, game over.