The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 22, 2013, 08:58 PM   #76
Malamute

Check the link in post 64 to answer that question.

It has more answers than that.

Reading post 64 probably would have helped also.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Last edited by Malamute; August 22, 2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old August 22, 2013, 09:33 PM   #77
MLeake

FireForged,

Though initial reports said 165 yards, measured distance was 169 feet.

Meanwhile, the BG had just shot and killed a married couple. He was known to his neighbors as having a short fuse and a violent temperament, and he had just taken position behind a tree, having re-armed with a .30-30 lever rifle, when the officer arrived.

Why would you be surprised at Stacy's assumption of Conner's intent, at that point?
Old August 22, 2013, 10:38 PM   #78
fragtagninja

That is a pretty impressive shot if the yardage is legit.

My dad used to work at the county pd with a guy who shot a turkey in the head at 100 yards with his 4" .357 service revolver. However this guy's rep as a crack shot was already well established. The guy was just a phenom when it came to shooting handguns. Wish I was that good.

So.... this 165 yrd shot.... Phenom, or lucky shot?
Old August 23, 2013, 12:19 AM   #79
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragtagninja
So.... this 165 yrd shot.... Phenom, or lucky shot?
See post 64. The distance was 169 feet.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old August 23, 2013, 06:20 AM   #80
jhenry

Good for the citizen, he did the right thing under those particular circumstances.

I do find it rather surprising that folks consider 56 yards to be some sort of lucky shot or something. Don't folks ever plink anymore?
Old August 23, 2013, 08:53 AM   #81
SHE3PDOG

Even with the reduced distance, that's a pretty nice shot under those circumstances. He wasn't just plinking stuff that doesn't have the potential to shoot back.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old August 23, 2013, 09:25 AM   #82
David13

Quote:
I am just wondering how in the heck he knew with any reasonable degree of certainty, what someone was planning to do 165 yards away.
Are you kidding me?
Yeah, maybe the guy was just waiting for the bus.
Conner had a dead body laying maybe 20 feet to his right when he was shooting.
You have to have a brain to see the logicial and usual consequences to an action.
If you are headed straight for a brick wall, you have to understand what will happen.
The shooter had a rifle, he was behind a tree. He had killed two people and two dogs. A leo pulled in in front of him. He opened fire at the leo.
And you think maybe he was just waiting for the bus?
dc
Old August 23, 2013, 09:40 AM   #83
pandafp

again guys the distance was 165 FEET and as mentioned many times, just reading the article will answer most of these questions and doubts.
Old August 23, 2013, 10:21 AM   #84
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I am just wondering how in the heck he knew with any reasonable degree of certainty, what someone was planning to do 165 yards away.
I take it that you didn't watch the video in the OP. Stacy basically saw the gunman respond to the arriving officers and then open up on them. So it would not matter one iota how much reasonable certainty Vic Stacy had about what the gunman was planning to do just 56 yards away (Stacy was in error when he claimed it was 165 yards) once the gunman started shooting at the officer. At that point, what Stacy thought the guy might be getting ready to do and how certain he was about the issue was completely moot. The battle had started. Stacy did not fire before the gunman fired at the arriving officer.

Quote:
Second yes you can make some interesting shots, its also called lucky.
Anyone ever notice how it is that most of the lucky people in such a crisis are the ones who are prepared and skilled? When it is repetitive, it isn't luck.
Old August 23, 2013, 01:38 PM   #85
P5 Guy

56 Yards under stress now that is fine shooting. I've shot my 22LR S&W 17 at 50 yards often it does take a steady hand.
Didn't Elmer Keith shoot longer distances?
Old August 23, 2013, 06:51 PM   #86
SgtLumpy

Quote:
56 Yards under stress now that is fine shooting. I've shot my 22LR S&W 17 at 50 yards often it does take a steady hand.
Didn't Elmer Keith shoot longer distances?
Small children, old men, tiny women shoot longer distances. Lots of them with very little practice.

Practice a little bit, under stress, anyone can ace 50 yards. Just imagine what you could do if you practiced.

Sgt Lumpy
Old August 25, 2013, 05:16 PM   #87
FireForged

Quote:
Why would you be surprised at Stacy's assumption of Conner's intent, at that point?
because in taking post 01 at face value ( not clicking links- never do) I was under the impression that the distance was 165 yards not feet. I would question anyone's assumptions that are made at nearly 2 foot ball fields away from the point of interest. You have clarified the distance so its all mute at this point.

Last edited by FireForged; August 25, 2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old August 25, 2013, 05:33 PM   #88
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
because in taking post 01 at face value ( not clicking links- never do) I was under the impression that the distance was 165 yards not feet. I would question anyone's assumptions that are made at nearly 2 foot ball fields away from the point of interest. You have clarified the distance so its all mute at this point.
LOL, whether 165 yards or 56 yards, if you can see what was going, there isn't a problem.

We are back to football fields again? Do you know how long a football field is?
Old August 25, 2013, 05:38 PM   #89
FireForged

Quote:
LOL, whether 165 yards or 56 yards, if you can see what was going, there isn't a problem.
If you can be sure about what you are seeing, sure.. no prob. The greater the distance, the less confidence a prudent person will have about opinions formed at that distance. We are talking about deadly force after all.
Old August 25, 2013, 05:46 PM   #90
Double Naught Spy

Okay, well a football field is 120 yards long so 2 football fields is 240. 165 yards isn't "nearly two football fields away."

Many folks see distance just fine.
Old August 25, 2013, 06:18 PM   #91
Ramon_

Still a good shot under pressure.
Old August 26, 2013, 01:48 AM   #92
Gbnk82

Good for him America could use more citizens that are willing to risk themselves to protect others..hopefully the jury sees it that way and this man isnt punished for trying to do the right thing
Old August 26, 2013, 08:15 AM   #93
jimbob86

First, I commend the armed Citizen for taking action at great risk to himself.

Second, NICE SHOOTIN', TEX!

Third, I am a bit sceptical about the range of 165 yards ...... unless the Mr. Stacy was not on the property when he made the shot:

The RV Park at 7120 North Hwy. 183, Early, TX 76802 (this is the address in the news story - the name of the business appears to have changed) ...... It's a wooded area, and there are not many places one can see 165 yards ....... 165 feet? More likely.
Old August 26, 2013, 08:30 AM   #94
jimbob86

Sorry, just read post 64.

Imagine that: MSM getting "minor" details wrong .......
Old August 26, 2013, 02:51 PM   #95
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Imagine that: MSM getting "minor" details wrong .......
They did not get the "minor" details wrong. In fact, they reported them EXACTLY AS CLAIMED by Stacy and released by the Sheriff's Department.

As I commented on Stacy back on post 21...

Quote:
I would not be surprised if he [Stacy] was off by 50% or more on the estimates.
He was off by about 65%

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; August 26, 2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old August 26, 2013, 03:42 PM   #96
Grant D

And he made the shot with a 6" Colt Python.
Old August 26, 2013, 04:24 PM   #97
jhenry

Well, if one must shoot a miscreant, a well turned out weapon would be preferable.