The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 23, 2019, 12:03 AM   #1
ninosdemente

Budget Bolt Action Chassis

I have a Savage 12FV short action rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I purchased a budget chassis which I like for $450. (https://oryxchassis.com/) Aluminum one piece chassis.

Looking to get a different "budget" chassis for Savage 12FV in .223. It is top feed so looking to use magazines such as the set up above. It is top bolt release. Not using it for hunting, just for shooting on bench and prone (well, will begin prone). Trying to buy the same chassis as want a different style for this one. Open to suggestions. Have spent some time looking at many other options. But they are above the $800 price tag and just don't have the option to spend this much on a chassis.

Thanks for the help in advanced.
Old June 23, 2019, 11:44 AM   #2
taylorce1

The Oryx you have is the best deal on a complete chassis you can yet right now. Anything else you're going to.spend $400 on the chassis, then your savings comes from choosing the buttstock, grip, and other accessories. You can possibly find a used one on gunbroker, eBay, or Savage Shooters forum.
Old June 23, 2019, 12:56 PM   #3
ninosdemente

That is what I was afraid of, lol. Thanks for the help. I did find this one: https://www.tacticalworks.com/Tactic...ndustries.html
Old July 17, 2019, 08:01 AM   #4
TrueBlue711

Thanks for the info! I've been looking for a new chassis for my 300 WinMag Rem 700. The one I was eyeballing the most is KRG's X-Ray chassis. But the Oryx looks about the same for $100 cheaper. I would prefer KRG's Whiskey 3 chassis, but the price tag is out of my budget.

Last edited by TrueBlue711; July 18, 2019 at 07:49 AM.
Old July 17, 2019, 08:47 AM   #5
Don Fischer

Hum. New to me language to me. Seem's at some point the tactical stock became a chassis. I guess that is one and the same?
Old July 17, 2019, 09:14 AM   #6
Rimfire5

I bought an Oryx for my 12 FV .223 from Oryx and found it actually improved accuracy after I got used to the different feel.
Then I bought another Oryx for my 12 FV 6.5mm Creedmoor, but I bought it from E. Arthur Brown (an Oryx distributor) because they don't force you to buy the basic rifle in olive drab and then add another 49.99 for the different color side plates. I wanted the two stocks to look different so I could tell them apart. I bought the new Oryx in Flat Dark Earth and I actually like the color better.
The Oryx made a big difference in the 6.5mm by reducing the flex in the factory plastic stock. I'm just getting used to it so it hasn't shown much improvement, but it took me about two range sessions to see the changes in the .223.

The big issue with the 12 FV hidden magazine stocks is getting the bottom metal with the new stock or chassis. The Oryx and most of the AICS chassis come with new bottom metal.
Most of the old line stocks don't. You either buy one for a hidden mag or one for a detachable mag and you have to provide the bottom metal for a detachable mag.
The bottom metal for a Savage short action would set you back another $ 150 and the standard Savage magazine is costly too.
That's why the Oryx is such a good deal although you still have to buy an AICS magazine and a front swivel if you want to use a bipod.

Be aware of the AICS internal mag length for various mags if you reload.
The MDT .223 AICS mag from Oryx has the internal length to support 2.500 O.A.L. That is more than enough for loads up to 77 grains to seat the bullet out to the rifling.

But be careful of the larger calibers:
The MDT .308/6.5mm AICS mag only supports about 2.830. That's too short if you reload and want to seat you load out toward the rifling.
The AI AICS mag provides a much deeper internal dimension and lets you seat out to 2.885 O.A.L.
Old July 18, 2019, 07:37 AM   #7
TrueBlue711

I had question about the Oryx. Is the cheek riser quick adjust or do you need a wrench? The website shows pics only of the right side, so I can't see if there's a knob or not on the left side for adjusting the cheek riser.

Last edited by TrueBlue711; July 18, 2019 at 07:49 AM.
Old July 18, 2019, 02:21 PM   #8
Rimfire5

The cheek riser has two Allen screws that hold the rods that adjust the front and back. Easy to adjust and they stay firm when tightened.

I never got the reason for a quick adjust cheek riser since you only adjust it once when you choose your scope and then you want it to be solid and never move.
Old August 12, 2019, 02:34 PM   #9
TrueBlue711

Another question on the Oryx. Looking at the pics, it seems to me the adjustable cheek rest is way too far back. Like I would need to scrunch my neck back to use it effectively. Has that been the case? Do you have to have the scope mounted as far back as possible?