The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 22, 2019, 06:06 PM   #1
flashhole

Any Beretta 96A1 shooters?

Just ordered mine today 22 June. I couldn't find a G model with the Decocker. Has anyone modified their 96A1 with the decocker? I've watched the YouTube video on how to make the change. Seems pretty simple.

I'm anxious to get it to the range.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old June 23, 2019, 08:55 AM   #2
Wag

You're gonna love it!

--Wag--
Old June 23, 2019, 09:32 AM   #3
Siggy-06

Upgrade your hammer spring to a factory D spring. It’ll lighten the DA pull and make the tigger a bit better.
Old June 23, 2019, 10:15 AM   #4
flashhole

Siggy, sounds like good advice on the spring. I will likely do the change after I've developed a good feel for the gun. Do you conceal carry yours? Curious about holster recommendations.

Wag, I see your moniker says Rio Rancho. I lived in Cedar Crest in the east mountain region north of Tijeras Canyon from 86 - 91. Loved it. Used to ride horses to Sandia Peak. I still remember the sign Elev. 10,866 feet. Beautiful area.

Old June 23, 2019, 10:36 AM   #5
Siggy-06

Mine is just for the range and home defense. My waist isn’t very large, so a shoulder holder would probably be my best bet if I ever decided to CC it.
Old June 24, 2019, 06:25 PM   #6
flashhole

The 96 is bigger than the compact pistol I used to have. That one I carried OWB and it was easy to conceal.

My wife picked up a Snubby S&W and I bought a Barsony IWB holster for it. That's a sweet little carry rig.

I like the minimalist holsters but I want the rig to be securely attached to my person. I will likely end up with a couple different styles.

Old June 24, 2019, 10:11 PM   #7
Rob228

Flash.... I've got nothing to say about the Beretta but I am certainly missing Originals pizza (I used to live at the intersection of Front street and John street. Maybe killed a few woodchucks in the backyard while the train went through, to cover the sound)
Old June 25, 2019, 04:13 PM   #8
flashhole

In the East Mountain area on Highway 14 the Bella Vista restaurant was very popular. I loved their Fire Eaters Special. I understand it burned down.

Old June 29, 2019, 05:59 PM   #9
flashhole

Put the first 100 rounds down the barrel.

I really like this gun. Already planning a few upgrades. Hammer "D" spring. Plastic slide rod needs to go. My Gould & Goodrich Yaqui holster is ordered. Later I will replace the trigger. School is still out on the safety.

Old June 29, 2019, 06:56 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Beretta often does sales on their main website. If you wait a bit you'll probably get it on discount for the 4th.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old June 29, 2019, 09:53 PM   #11
Siggy-06

I recommend leaving the plastic guide rod. If ever dropped while the slide is locked back/out of battery, a metal one can be bent and leave the gun inoperable, where the plastic would absorb the impact better. Some things are designed for specific reasons. Nonissues with mine in 2000+ rounds.
Old June 30, 2019, 10:38 AM   #12
Wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy-06 View Post
I recommend leaving the plastic guide rod. If ever dropped while the slide is locked back/out of battery, a metal one can be bent and leave the gun inoperable, where the plastic would absorb the impact better. Some things are designed for specific reasons. Nonissues with mine in 2000+ rounds.
I just ordered the steel guide rod for mine. Beretta makes it and sells it on their web site so I have no reason to think that it's a problem to use. Bending it by dropping the pistol? I don't think I could bend it by running over it with a truck. The plastic rod will become a backup but I doubt I'll ever need it.

--Wag--
Old June 30, 2019, 11:18 AM   #13
flashhole

Yeah, the steel rod looks pretty robust.

Enough YouTube videos out there to do pretty much anything you want to do with the Beretta.

I've been eyeballing the thin grips along with the other upgrades. I might get the all metal parts kit from Beretta. My gun is black. A stainless trigger might be a good feature.

Old July 7, 2019, 07:28 AM   #14
flashhole

D spring received. My slide rod/spring is captive, not two separate loose parts. I ordered the all-metal assembly today.

Now I'm eyeing the ultra thin grips. Wish I could hold a gun with and without the "thin grips". A guy published some info of measured differences for different grips on the 96. The Ultra Thin grips measured 1.22" at the narrowest point. Mine measures 1.35" at the same location. I'm wondering if it will make a noticeable difference.

Old July 7, 2019, 07:40 AM   #15
TunnelRat

It definitely makes a difference. I went with the ones from Langdon Tactical.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old July 7, 2019, 08:49 AM   #16
Siggy-06

I got my thin grips from Lok Grips. They are excellent and really made a difference.
Old July 10, 2019, 07:26 PM   #17
flashhole

I've convinced myself I want the LOK Grips product. Thin checkered grips, I'm liking the solid OD Green color, not the Green/Black.

I've also convinced myself I'm going to wait for a sale.

Old July 12, 2019, 01:43 PM   #18
Road_Clam

My oem 92FS grips were a bit to slippery for my liking. I went with a traditional set of Pach rubber grips , then the grip felt too large and "square edged". I spent some time sanding a smooth bevel all along the outer edges of the grip panels and now the grips fit perfect, and the grip traction is right where I like to be.
Old July 14, 2019, 07:16 AM   #19
flashhole

I was contemplating doing that with a set of wood grips. Sand and fit. But I like the LOK grips so will just order them.

I installed the new captive steel slide rod/spring assembly and the hammer D spring. Very simple to do.

Wife was shooting the 96 and did really well with it. The recoil on the 40 cal was not too much for her. She wants to use it for her concealed carry training/permit. Not sure she will find any kind of holster to conceal the large Beretta but she liked shooting it.

Anyone install the Wilson Combat trigger and spring assembly? Curious if it will make a noticeable difference.

Old August 3, 2019, 10:11 AM   #20
flashhole

Thin checkered grips in solid OD green from Lok Grips are installed. A very different feel compared to the Beretta factory grips. They installed with no issues and are a perfect fit.

I watched a lot of YouTube videos from people evaluating the thin grips. One thing did not come out in the YouTube videos. The grips are not symmetrical on opposite sides of the gun. The grip mounting screws/bushings are not in the same location on opposite sides. Spacing is different. The Thin Grips keep the factory grip thickness at the screw locations so you just use the same screw when you buy the Lok grips. Since the bushings are not in line with one another side to side the Lok grips are cut to different shapes. The Beretta factory grips are symmetrical. That difference is very noticeable on the Lok grips.

I like the Lok grips better than the factory grips. Another thing I noticed with the thin Lok grips is I get better access to the controls (slide release, safety, and mag release). The improved access to the mag release is especially nice. The Lok grips are a bit thinner in that area compared to the factory grips and the release button sticks up just a bit higher providing better access and contact.

Oh yeah, the solid OD green color is really nice.

Old August 3, 2019, 02:12 PM   #21
Siggy-06

I got the LOK grips in the zombie green/black pattern, just to make it pop, as it’s only a range/HD pistol. Made it much more controllable and comfortable to handle. Also changed my grip screws to the allen key style.