The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old October 8, 2013, 12:13 PM   #76
Powderman

Quote:
Geez, why didn't anyone else realize how easy this this?
No one said it was easy. No one said it was going to BE easy.

I'll tell you quite frankly, if it happens and I'm there, I'll probably be shaking in my boots. I will more than likely NOT want to be there.

But I will stay.

15 years of active Federal service gave me the foundation of skills that I need.
15 years as a sworn LEO gives me the imperative to answer the threat.
By law, I can NOT run away. Doesn't mean that I don't want to.
But I will not turn my back and leave the people I am sworn to protect and serve in harm's way. I'm not built like that.
No, it's not an optimum method to engage. I know that. Yes, the shooter will probably have a long gun. I know that too.
But this person will--if they fit the profile of the active shooter--probably NOT have any formal training. I'll be able to spot that.

Training as a police sniper gave me that skill.

And I might end up dead on the ground; I might be maimed or crippled. But you can be sure that the shooter won't be in a position to appreciate it too much.

That's just me. Your mileage may vary.
Old October 8, 2013, 12:24 PM   #77
Tinner666

Quote:
No one said it was easy. No one said it was going to BE easy.

I'll tell you quite frankly, if it happens and I'm there, I'll probably be shaking in my boots. I will more than likely NOT want to be there.

But I will stay.

15 years of active Federal service gave me the foundation of skills that I need.
15 years as a sworn LEO gives me the imperative to answer the threat.
By law, I can NOT run away. Doesn't mean that I don't want to.
But I will not turn my back and leave the people I am sworn to protect and serve in harm's way. I'm not built like that.
No, it's not an optimum method to engage. I know that. Yes, the shooter will probably have a long gun. I know that too.
But this person will--if they fit the profile of the active shooter--probably NOT have any formal training. I'll be able to spot that.

Training as a police sniper gave me that skill.

And I might end up dead on the ground; I might be maimed or crippled. But you can be sure that the shooter won't be in a position to appreciate it too much.

That's just me. Your mileage may vary.
I had said earlier I would watch and determine what was happening before running or shooting, etc. Now, if I saw another doing the same, such as you, we'd be the start of a to man defensive force and it would be nice to build on that. Staying calm and enough CCW's in a place like that could sure make it a short story and minor footnote.
Old October 8, 2013, 12:46 PM   #78
Glenn E. Meyer

There's no correct answer. If you have training to evaluate and influence the situation, that's really good. My caution is for less than thoughtful proclamations that you would do X, Y or Z.

A lone schizophrenic shooter or a squad of rehearsed terrorists, with your family, by yourself, etc.

There no correct answer that fits all.
Old October 8, 2013, 02:02 PM   #79
3.Shot.Group.

The answer is simple "You do whatever keeps you alive". Doing what it takes to stay alive is the hard part, and there is no clear cut answer, but you have to be ready to react when you need to and you have to react quickly and correctly at the moment of truth.

That means practice in doing anything and everything that might be required of you to do to stay alive in a fight. It's a skill set, not a choice as to which is the best do all be all.
Old October 8, 2013, 02:10 PM   #80
Frank Ettin
Staff

It looks like the subject has been pretty exhaustively covered.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread