The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 5, 2013, 12:25 AM   #1
kc_hhsl

Training ...

I am looking at attending a handgun training class out in the Nevada/California desert ... you might guess the entity I'm looking at. Based on a map I believe their location is actually in Nevada but their mail comes out of Windsor California. Not sure if it is acceptable to put a name out here or not so I'll go without.

Anyhow, they supposedly train more people than all the other schools combined.

Has anyone ever attended their training and is it worth it?

If not - are there any of these training locations worth attending?

NRA Life Member
Old March 5, 2013, 05:15 AM   #2
jp_over

I've heard good stuff about the Larry Vickers and Thunder Ranch (Les Baer) courses - personally, I have not attended either. If possible, see if they'll let you review their course agenda and/or make a site visit; this will give you better info to make a decision.

Joe
Old March 5, 2013, 07:05 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

A quick point...

I've taken skill training classes with programs I would suggest to others; www.S2Institute.com , but I've heard directly from a few gun writers & tactics instructors that in general, that they do not comment or "bad mouth" firearm trainers/schools just as a industry standard.

I can see that but it's hard to really gauge a program or school w/o spending $$$.
I always advise a new gun owner or entry level student take a 4hr workshop or 1 day class first to review a training program.

It's a touchy subject because opinions & feelings vary with those in the shooting sports/armed professionals.

Clyde
Old March 5, 2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Frank Ettin
Staff

I believe the OP is thinking of Front Sight.

In any case, I know a number of people whose opinions on such matters I respect who have taken training there and thought it was worthwhile. I've heard that the instructors, overall, are good, but I've also heard that their classes tend to be large.

One benefit of Front Sight is that certificates for classes can often be purchased for a good price.

I personally prefer Gunsite just north of Prescott, AZ. They've been around the longest, have an excellent facility and excellent instructors. I also think that Prescott, AZ is a nicer place to be than Pahrump, NV. Classes at Gunsite will be more expensive.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old March 5, 2013, 04:38 PM   #5
sigcurious

People around here(Vegas) like FS, there may be slight location and value bias(easy to attend lots of classes on a lifetime membership or take advantage of their frequent promotions when it's right there). If you're going to be in the area, but haven't finalized your plans, there are a number of trainers in the area. Roger Phillips(Suarez Intl/Fight Focused Concepts) and Chuck Burnett (Invictus Training) are two that come to mind. Depending on your time in the area they may be running a class that would suit your training needs.
Old March 5, 2013, 10:21 PM   #6
Lee Lapin

My favorite is still Louis Awerbuck - http://www.yfainc.com/schedule.html

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old March 5, 2013, 11:12 PM   #7
Striker1

IN Vegas, check out Progressive Force Concepts.