The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 8, 2005, 02:42 PM   #1
racinstylez

Green Laser site (Questions)

Is it true that during the daylight you can only see the green lasers? or can you see the red lasers just fine? Where can I get a green laser site for my XD? Do any of you have a laser site, and how good is it? Are those Laserlyte sites any good? LMK.
Old June 8, 2005, 02:56 PM   #2
tanstaafl4y

I can't say that I have personally seen a green laser in a firearms application.

Reaching back to physics/Chemistry class the color of a laser is determined by the "frequency" of the generator with red being the least expensive to manufacture and eye-safe. Also reaching back to college you can't see a laser beam unless the are particulates in the air (dust, smoke) but you can see it where it impacts a surface (duh call me Mr. Obvious). The number of particles that the beam hits between point of generation and point of impact reduces the brightness of the beam down range. If I remember correctly daylight dosen't dim a laser because "its too bright outside" but the photons of light energy absorb the beam enroute (ie more particles in the way). Also a red beam is a slower (less up and down modulation) beam where a green would be higher in the spectrum (faster more modulation). Anyone with scientific proof, feel free to correct my post.

As far as lasersights go I think of them as an additional tool. I aim using Iron sites and fine tune with the little red dot...If the batteries died/"too bright"/ too smokey I wouldn't waste time looking for the dot.

If your buying from a store, opposed to online, you may have the oppourtunity to take the device outside and "light up a target".
Old June 8, 2005, 05:35 PM   #3
racinstylez

im thinking about buying the laserlyte one for [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]s and giggles.
Old June 15, 2005, 02:58 PM   #4
boogeyman

laser devices BA-6 module is a red laser which can be seen at high noon out to 25 yards. only costs about 400. :barf:
Old June 15, 2005, 10:24 PM   #5
just one question

laser max

the laser max works great in doors and out i have used it out side. It shows GREAT even at long range.
Old June 16, 2005, 07:13 AM   #6
skidmark

Location: Richmond VA - home of a street full of second-place trophies.
Green lasers, although more expensive, are EXTREMELY bright when compared to red lasers. It is easier to see green lasers in daylight, but you are still going to need a laser-reflective background to be able to see any laser.

I have a green laser on an urban carbine, and from experience have found that railroad ties, some fleece fabrics, some stonewashed black denim, among other items, are poor reflectors. On the other hand, 5.11 in black lights up to the point of being blinding. (It could be additives in laundry products, but I'm not intetested in doing the research to find out.)

If you get a green laser & want to play with it, DO NOT point it up in the air or at municiplal structures like water tanks. FAA, FBI, and lots of other initials are out there watching & have arrested folks for "targeting" those sorts of things. From what I hear, it is not funny to be lit up by a searchlight or have a dynamic entry in the early morning hours. Also, the alibi of "it was my daughter playing with it" did not fly for one guy in NJ who was indicted for lighting up planes flying overhead with a "small" pencil-type green laser pointer.

stay safe.

skidmark
Old June 16, 2005, 11:32 PM   #7
Heist

How the hell did he manage to lase a fast moving plane up in the air with a handheld laser?
Old June 17, 2005, 09:52 AM   #8
tanstaafl4y

as far as lazing a fast moving target...I won't post How-To in the forum but targeting with a handheld lazer can be done in a similar fashion to emergency signaling with a mirror.

Google is your friend.
Old June 24, 2005, 11:15 AM   #9
PSE

after a quick call to surefire technical they told me they will NOT be producing a green module. knowing thier propensity for high quality i would guess that there is a cost to quality factor they used.
Old June 25, 2005, 12:12 AM   #10
Bravo25

Are you sure you even want a laser. While they are cool, and fun to play with, some studies have shown that in critical situations people spend more time looking for the dot rather than sight picture, and good alignment. And then there is the factor of giving away your location.

When faced with impossible overwhelming odds, prudance would dictate the only thing left is to figure out what is possible, and to do it.

Punishment for all crimes should increase until the recitivism rate approaches zero.