The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 25, 2005, 02:22 PM   #1
Michaelm45

Whats Better About An Electronic Earmuff???

I'm still using my old Silencio Magnums with a NRR 29. And still muffling btw.
I'm really confused about the NRR ratings. I understand DBs and NRRs. My earmuffs claim a NRR or 29 DB. Electronic earmuffs at $100 and up claim a NRR of 19 to 24. In fact, looking at some standard earmuffs they seem to claim 25db and above. So I'm still confused. Gotta find a place to try some.

WHATS BETTER ABOUT AN ELECTRONIC EARMUFF???
Old May 25, 2005, 02:41 PM   #2
CastleBravo

Electronic hearing protection selectively reduces the volume of loud sounds. Plain ol' hearing protection reduces the volume of all sounds.
Old May 25, 2005, 04:12 PM   #3
novus collectus

So you can hear people talk to you at the range and some people use them for hunting because they can still hear some of the sounds of nature. All in all, I would say that they are safer because you can hear calls for cease fire easier. I am dissapointed with my Remington earmuffs though because they do not block the loud bangs as well as I would like (don't remember the rating on them). They also can be used by people with hearing problems as well IMO because you can turn up the volume in them to hear normal speech better (or maybe it just seems that way to me).
Old May 25, 2005, 11:48 PM   #4
scottys1

I've never seen electronic muffs that muffle as well as good standard muffs.
Another way to use electronic muffs would be to also wear ear plugs under the muffs and turn the volume up. That way you have good noise protection and can still hear range commands and conversation.
Old May 26, 2005, 02:17 PM   #5
Michaelm45

scottys1
"I've never seen electronic muffs that muffle as well as good standard muffs."

Thats exactly what I've been hearing.
I'm leaning towards keeping my old Silencio Magnums.

Thanks for the input.
Old May 26, 2005, 02:55 PM   #6
hknut

I was on the police range and they issue you electric muffs so you can hear, ok i'll play along. You can hear everything, including the cop attempted speed reload that failed, hell I heard the mag hit the ground and some of the bullets that sprung form the mag to hit the wall (and the following curses)! Later I asked where he got the mags from? He had bought surplus mags from the pawn shopes around the local U.S.ARMY base. I told him to make sure those are hi range mags and not to carry them! The look of bewilderment on his face was priceless.
Old May 26, 2005, 03:09 PM   #7
Coltdriver

For pure hearing protection they are not as good as a good standard ear muff. But I have found them to be adequate. And you can get a good set of Peltor Tac 6's for $59 at Midway if you watch for a sale.

I use them hunting because I like to be able to stop and listen. To have no hearing hunting is as unacceptable as having no hearing protection!

Beyond that I just use regular muffs at the range or if I am out target shooting.
Old May 26, 2005, 06:27 PM   #8
Billy Sparks

I wear electric muffs all the time especially if I am at the in door range. I can usually hear in anyone comes in if they are having problems. I love it for competition in that I can hear every range command.
Old June 3, 2005, 09:45 PM   #9
butch50

I can not begin to imagine hunting with earmuffs on. Well maybe bird hunting, maybe. But then when I hunt I go for days and day and days sometimes without firing a shot.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old June 5, 2005, 06:06 PM   #10
akviper

I already have a little hearing loss so I find them great. I use them with foam plugs underneath and crank them up so I can hear range commands and timers much better that plain hearing protectors alone. I used my Peltors and recently a set of Swat Tacs for week long schools and didn't have to change the batteries. You can leave the muffs in place and hear instructors. Its is always a pain to shift the regular muffs so you can hear instruction or conversation. I saw myself and others forget to shift the standard muffs back and begin shooting when using plain muffs. It's also pretty cool when using them alone. I think you probably hear what your dog normally hears.
Old June 7, 2005, 07:12 AM   #11
moredes

I use'm in outdoor range settings; there's a couple places I shoot that are unsupervised. I've always got a spare 1911 loaded in a crossdraw under my shirt when I'm at those ranges; even at my private range. The Sordins I have allow me to crank up the volume and hear everything that's happening behind me--vehicles approaching on the road, doors slammin', etc.--I don't get surprised by anyone coming up from behind while I'm shooting.

That's important when you're by yourself with your back to the approach and it looks like your target gun is empty.
Old June 8, 2005, 06:53 PM   #12
Monty

As others have touched on, being about to hear what the "idiot" around you may be doing is priceless (and often amusing)
Old June 8, 2005, 07:33 PM   #13
OF

I'll never teach (or take) a class again without electronic ears. I can hear everything around me and remain 'plugged in' to the entire range situation.

A must have, IMO.

- Gabe
Old June 11, 2005, 04:18 PM   #14
Kamicosmos

I recently picked up a pair of the Peltor Tactical 6 muffs.

No, they don't muffle as good as my NR 30 muffs I got when I worked at the airport loading baggage on 737s. But, for indoor ranges, and even rifle ranges, they do just fine. They shut off quick, so no Half BOoom effect. These even shut off when people release thier slides!

It is worth it just to be able to hear other people. Range commands and competitions they should practically be required equipment. Otherwise, yeah...it's fun to hear some of the other people's comments when they don't realize that you can hear them.

Sometimes I have doubled up with earplugs too. That works well too, except my ears sweat and itch with the plugs, so I hate using them.

-- Major Motoko Kusanagi GitS:SAC

Member of NRA and Western Missouri Shooters Alliance