The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old February 13, 2020, 10:52 AM   #101
Lohman446

Quote:
nothing I have said suggests that a person should not have a plan well ahead of time. You seem to have an issue with the word "formulate" in regards to a response. Use another similar word if it satisfies your objection. I doubt it will change the meaning of what I said.
Words have meaning and apparently you and I have a different view of what formulate means. Maybe I am not reading what you wrote as intended but if the term is formulate it indicates it is devising and is indicative of in the present moment. If you meant something else I am all for it and likely may be in agreement but I can only go off the words that were selected by the author to articulate his thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulate, from Oxford
create or devise methodically (a strategy or a proposal).
Old February 13, 2020, 11:04 AM   #102
FireForged

sure.. and that formulation can very well be ongoing. It can happen before, during and after a happening. The word "decision" has a meaning but it doesn't mean that "deciding" does not occur more than once or that "deciding" cannot occur many times in response to many issues at hand. Formulating never really stops in regards to an active or ongoing event which requires action. You seem to restrict the word to only the pre-event category which to me, I find perplexing. As I have said many times, English is not a language I have mastered. It becomes a little disheartening to have minor words met with such semantical quibbling. You are welcome to supplement my narrative with a similar singular word( in place of "formulation") if it makes its more palatable to you. I seriously doubt it would result in altering the conceptual point.

Last edited by FireForged; February 13, 2020 at 11:15 AM.
Old February 14, 2020, 06:04 PM   #103
Spats McGee
Staff

I think this one has run its course.