The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 14, 2014, 01:36 AM   #1
hotlead

300 Blackout Twist/bullet weight

I am about to buy a Rainier 300 blackout ultramatch 16" carbine gas system barrel with a 1/7 twist. I will be using mostly 125-175 grain bullets. I am not planning on making it suppressed but i would want to have the capability. I am wondering if anyone reloads and has this barrel or something close to it and uses 125 grain bullets. I am really into reloading and am looking forward to sub 1/2 MOA groups for the 125-30 grain bullets. Any input on experience would be great. I have been searching the web for info but the 300 blackout is a fairly new round and there is not much info for a 125 grain bullet coming out of a 16" 1/7 twist barrel.
Old January 14, 2014, 03:52 AM   #2
shooterbob

The 300 whisper and blackout are essentially the same round. One is proprietary by JD Jones which is not SAAMI specified on pressures. The blackout was developed to saami pressures for all platforms and I did some research and it seems load data is the same for either. There are some great comparison articles out there. My Hornady book shows a 130 grn with a starting load of 13.0 grns of n-110 just for example. Check out this link for a comparison

http://www.americanrifleman.org/mobi...e.php?id=13327
Stacy
Old January 14, 2014, 06:44 AM   #3
Ibmikey

I have a 300 Blackout that I built using a 16" carbine gas SS polygon Rainier 1/8.5 barrel that is about as accurate as anything I shoot. I use mostly pulled 147 gr bullets for plinking with W 296, my load functions the action just fine and is supersonic. Also I have a 125 gr load that is just a little more open with it's groups. Still working with that one. Since I use open sights I keep my targets within a 100 yard distance. Plans are to put my Eotec 512 on it to see if I can shrink the groups a bit (old eyes).
Old January 14, 2014, 10:33 AM   #4
hotlead

Nice.

I am more asking for 300 blackout owners to post a pic of their groups and the data. I know where I can start as far as loads go. I just want to see if a 125 grain bullet can be extremely accurate in my future build. Thanks. Also, it gives you a chance to show off your skills in both shooting and reloading!

Tags
.308 , 300 blackout , ar15 , reloading , twist rate