The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 14, 2000, 04:47 PM   #1
LASur5r

Real story---Years back when I first moved into my house, I was sleeping when I heard whispering...or low tone talking, sounded like it was just outside my window. My windows are about six plus feet above ground, so unless they climbed in, it wasn't going to be an easy B & E for them.
At this point, what would you do? Keep in mind that there were people lured out of their house with just this kind of trick...one was shot as he came out the front door to investigate.
What say you?
Old October 14, 2000, 08:27 PM   #2
M1911

Well, I live in an upper middle class bedroom suburb. I'd grab the gun, a flashlight, lock the bedroom door, and call 911. They'll be here within 2 minutes.

Of course, in many (most?) jurisdictions, police response would be a whole lot less prompt.

M1911
Old October 14, 2000, 11:42 PM   #3
firstsuspect

I would wake the wife and have her head for the kid's rooms, I would look out a different window, if possible, and see what I could and if I thought there was a threat I would call the police. Stay armed and alert till they showed up.
Old October 15, 2000, 06:21 AM   #4
fubsy

I would wonder how come the dogs werent barking their heads off if with my hearing as bad as it is I could hear whispering and their not barking.....fubsy.
Old October 16, 2000, 02:38 AM   #5
voodoo

I'd tell my wife to grab the cordless phone and go to the "safe room", and I'd grab my gun and try to sit as close to the window without being detected. I'd just sit there, listen, and wait it out. If they're trying to lure me out, they can forget it - it ain't gonna happen. If they try to get in, then they're reallly in trouble. If they're just snooping around, then they'll soon come face-to-face with my 85lb. "puppy"!
Old October 16, 2000, 07:42 AM   #6
David Scott

I once thought I heard voices at night, got up and took a S&W .357 to check it out. Found a phone off the hook and a recording playing "Your call acannot be completed as dialled. Please hang up and tray again. Your call..." over and over. Ooopsie!

In this scenario, wife and I would secure our weapons, then I would turn on the outside floodlights and check out the windows. DO NOT open doors or windows or go outside to check. If they seem to still be out there, call 911. Stay locked and loaded in case you hear a window break.
Old October 16, 2000, 12:51 PM   #7
LASur5r

This actually happened to us three times...the first time I racked the slide of my Beretta 12 gauge right under the window. I heard the satisfying sounds of somebody's feet; one went up and over the chainlink fence..too bad there's a 50 degree downslope on the other side...only about a 15 foot drop. The other one beat feet over the gate going to the front driveway...only thing is the gate had been in "disrepair" for the last 10 years now so that anyone climbing on the "gate" will find that the gate suddenly drops about 8 inches...hinges not secured...I believe the person was straddling the gate when it dropped. I heard a muffled scream and a thud like a body hitting the ground.
Owww! Must have hurt.

The other two times, I racked the slide of the semi-auto pistol that I had at the time...not the same effect...just things got real quiet...then after a little while when I say in a loud voice,"Hon, the police should be any minute now since we called them." Then you get the feeling that someone is rapidly departing the area.
Old October 17, 2000, 02:14 AM   #8
Jeff Thomas

Motion detector lights aren't perfect, but they do tend to reduce this kind of thing at night. They may whisper under my window, but they'll probably be bathed in light as they do it. I, on the other hand, will be watching them ... from a darkened room.

We had this happen years ago as well ... before we had motion detector lights, and before we got dogs.

Regards from AZ
Old October 19, 2000, 12:20 PM   #9
Allen_Raiford

Release the hounds.

------------------
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed—and thus clamorous to be led to safety—by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
— H.L. Mencken
Old October 19, 2000, 12:49 PM   #10
Joe Demko

With the present situation in the mid-east, boiling oil has become prohibitively expensive; so I have gone to using cauldrons of boiling bran. It doesn't have the effectiveness of molten lead, but is more environmentally friendly.
Old October 19, 2000, 02:52 PM   #11
Secmat

While working in another country a few years ago, we had the problem of locals coming through windows and stealing equipment and beating the sleeping occupant of the room. Some resourceful individual came up with some flash-bangs. After only two uses, the problem stopped.

Think that would work here in the States???

------------------
"Those who dance are thought mad by those that don't hear the music."
Old October 19, 2000, 04:33 PM   #12
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Golgo,
LMAO! First laugh-out-loud at work (I'm off the clock) from TFL in months.
Old October 19, 2000, 06:21 PM   #13
Gunslinger

The old rack the slide on the scattergun method that you employed is a good and effective method of dealing with these little "bump in the night" problems. Secondly, to reenforce what others have said, I would let one of the canines out. No need to let all of them out. That would only cause a dog/wolf fight over the carcus.

Spectre, were you been?

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!
Old October 20, 2000, 01:45 PM   #14
EnochGale

Get an alarm system that sounds outside with a loud horn.

Avoid all the racking commando crap. You don't want to be playing with your gun under stress.

Old debate - search for it.
Old October 20, 2000, 02:12 PM   #15
LASur5r

Secmat,
Back in the 60's we had stuff with a little more kick in another country...we called them Claymores...only trouble is Charlie kept sending more pesky critters....besides, in the United States, we have things called lawsuits...Heaven forbid that a goblin should get hurt tresspassing on your property.

Enoch Gale,
Sir...I would like to let you know that I nevah play with my gun under duress...at least not when anyone else is around.
Besides....Boo! didn't work the first time. In fact, as I recall...I heard some laughing after that...so I had to up the level a little....thus racking the slide on the ol' scattergun. Then I stood by to repel all boarders.
Old October 21, 2000, 11:26 AM   #16
twist996

preventative measures should stop this kind of thing, keep the amateurs away...if not, the racking-slide sound usually end the situation...if they're dumb enough to give themselves away, they're gonna split, or they'll be real easy targets...

------------------
speak now, or forever hold your peace
Old October 26, 2000, 07:29 PM   #17
Bogie

A few years ago, a local bar was hosting some sorta skinhead/punk band (you could tell - senseless vandalism would always increase in the neighborhood), and one of the patrons, on his way wandering homeward, decided to use the bushes outside my window as a latrine. He'd gotten started when he noticed the barrel of a shotgun sticking out the window when I cocked it... He didn't even bother to tuck it in...

Old October 28, 2000, 06:54 PM   #18
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

"'Boo!' didn't work the first time..."

I love this thread.

My former wife and I lived in a campground for a while, about 5 years ago. We often worked 3rd shift, so were known to get home in the wee hours. We sometimes saw wildlife wandering around the park, and would try to stalk and observe them. One night we had see n a raccoon on our way back from the showers, and tried to keep him in sight. We were fairly close to a neighbor's camper (nice guy, btw; I sold him a rifle), and I'm thinking that feet crunching gravel must have carried in the still night air.

Anyway, we heard the "click!" of a hammer being retracted, and decided we had really better be getting to bed.
Old October 29, 2000, 06:57 PM   #19
pokey074

practically the exact situation happened to me when i was younger, about 3rd grade or so. i awoke to the sound of my dog barking her *ss off and 2 male individuals talking in low tones right outside my bedroom window. needless to say, being that young, i was scared [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]less. i peeked outside and could see 2 guys standing there wearing camoflauge coveralls carrying shotguns. looked like they were going duck hunting. well, the dog is still barking and one of the guys shouts, "Shut up b*tch!" now i'm REALLY scared so i figure it's time to get my dad. go into my parents' room and try to shake my dad awake. "Dad, there's 2 guys outside in camoflauge and they've got shotguns." my dad's response? "Yeah right. Go back to bed." don't know how he didn't hear the dog barking as her kennel was right by their room. finally get him up and he hears the voices too. grabs his Remington 870, racks a round, turns on the outside lights, and goes out to investigate. took me quite a few years to realize just how dangerous that was. we lived just on the outskirts of town, just outside the city limits. i don't think anyone called 911. went out the next day and found footprints outside my window and more leading away from the house. hope i'd handle things more tactically if i was the dad.

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security."
--Benjamin Franklin--
Old October 30, 2000, 02:51 AM   #20
larry_minn

Had a similar deal a month ago. Only voices were INSIDE my house. I do have a locked bedroom door btw. Well I grab the G26, ASP light and slide into the vest. Respose time is over 20 min but I would call 911 if I get a "vib". "Note to all best response would be call 911 give address, what is going on, address, stay on line, hunker down locked and loaded and wait"
Well I am lazy so I cleared the house from the inside out. I do have a few "goodies" set up. "radio controled lights in two areas with a TV hooked up to one."
Well winds up it was a answering machine going bad.
If outside due to my isolated location I would dress "darker colors over vest and shoulder rig with P89/mags and ASP/3Dmaglight. I might take long arm but doubt it. G26 in right and ASP/mag in left. Trip all exterior lighting and watch. "inside dark" Yes I am dumb enough that I do go outside to check. There are a number of reasons for this. For most situations people should hunker down.