The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 21, 2019, 03:24 AM   #1
chaim

I need an inexpensive gun belt

OK, I am in the process of losing a lot of weight. I am currently down 35-40 pounds so my clothes don't fit. However, I have another 70 or so to go, so that is a lot of clothing purchases, and I need to minimize costs until I'm at my final size.

I know what gun belt brands I usually like, but they are mostly in the $80-100 range, and for a temporary belt, I need to be well under that (I'd like to be well under $50 if I can).

Now, another option, no gun belt. I live in MD, don't have one of the few jobs that allow a MD CCW permit, so I can only carry when in a state that allows me to carry on my UT non-resident permit. I'm usually in WV, VA or DE a couple days a month, and out of state for a trip a few times a year, so I do only carry part time. Maybe if I stick with my smaller and lighter guns (say 20oz or less) for now, I could make do with the $20-30 department store belts I currently have as a stop gap until I'm at a more permanent size and buy better belts again.

Last edited by chaim; December 21, 2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old December 21, 2019, 05:09 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

DeSantis Econobelt. I'm on my second one in about 10 years, but they're a bargain at <$40. https://www.desantisholster.com/econobelt-1-1-2/
Old December 21, 2019, 09:04 AM   #3
Don Fischer

Punch some new hole's in your old belt!
Old December 21, 2019, 09:22 AM   #4
ms6852

Agree with Don Fischer, punch new holes and than wear Berry's belt clip suspenders. They attach to your belt, they work great.https://www.suspenderstore.com/shop-...ip-suspenders/
Old December 21, 2019, 10:16 AM   #5
chaim

Don, I considered that, but my belts already have 7 holes. On the last hole (which is where my two good gun belts are now) there is already a lot of extra leather. I would trim the belt, but mine are stitched so I don't think that is an option.

ms6852, I can't see myself doing belt clip suspenders. I am fashion conscious enough that I would never wear suspenders and belts together (though I can see the utility for these kinds of suspenders for people who carry a heavy load on their belts, but it would be a pretty specialized use). I'm a khakis/chinos and button down sport or dress shirt kind of guy most of the time (even when wearing jeans, they are usually with either a collared polo or a button down collared shirt). Also, I do wear normal suspenders at times. Most of my dress pants have suspender buttons sewn into them, and I even have a few pair of clip on suspenders when wearing a pair of pants without the buttons along with a vest (one should never wear a belt with a vest). Suspenders only will work with a pocket gun (actually quite well), I suppose that could be my lower cost gun carry option until I finish slimming down and can standardize on a size for an extended time (though, light pocket guns will probably work fine with regular department store belts as well).

A solution I've found for "regular" belts, is to go with a reversible belt. The buckle screws into some holes in the end of the belt. As I lose weight, I've been trimming the belt, and using my drill to put in some small holes for the screws. Maybe if I get a thinner gun belt, it might fit into one of these belt buckles, and I can simply trim the belt as I lose weight (I'd have to go with one that doesn't have a steel or kevlar liner obviously).
Old December 21, 2019, 10:24 AM   #6
eugenesan

In your situation, I would buy a Kore Essentials belt.
Not only it's probably the best gun belt, you'll be able to adjust and trim it as you go and the price is only ~$60 total (they provide 10% discount for first timers) and you won't have to buy another one later.

https://www.koreessentials.com/collections/gun-belts
Old December 21, 2019, 10:30 AM   #7
chaim

I like DeSantis so I may try that Econobelt. I've also noticed a few real leather gun belts on Amazon by some lesser known or minor belt makers that are in the $30-45 range. They may (or may not) hold up as well as more expensive or more established belt makers, but if it works for now I don't really need something that will hold up for years right now (if I buy a little small that barely works and use the belt until I'm on the last hole to prolong my use, I may get 4-6 months out of the belt).
Old December 21, 2019, 10:36 AM   #8
chaim

Quote:
In your situation, I would buy a Kore Essentials belt.
Not only it's probably the best gun belt, you'll be able to adjust and trim it as you go
Normally, that doesn't really fit my style, I much prefer leather. However, since I don't carry 100% of the time (I don't have a MD permit, so I only carry when shopping or visiting in states that take my non-res UT permit), I usually am dressed casually when I CCW (and in one of the times I am a bit more dressed up, I can always pocket carry or even IWB with one of my smaller and lighter guns, my LCP or 856UL, so a regular belt or suspenders will work).

Oh, and now, looking further on the website, I see they also have leather belts, and not just the "tactical" style cloth belts. I may have to give them a try.
Old December 21, 2019, 10:37 AM   #9
DukeConnor

30 dollar gun belt

https://www.30dollargunbelt.com/

i have worn one everyday for over 2 years and it has held up beautifully
Old December 21, 2019, 11:18 AM   #10
labnoti

I second the KORE. It's trimmed-to-length and the cut end installed inside the buckle. You can trim it initially and then trim it again in the future. While you're wearing it, it adjusts in 1/4-inch increments for just the right fit, and with the kydex lining inside the leather, its very stiff to hold a heavy gun without sagging. The only better options I've heard anyone claim are handmade custom jobs that don't fit your situation.
Old December 21, 2019, 11:26 AM   #11
chaim

Quote:
30 dollar gun belt

https://www.30dollargunbelt.com/

i have worn one everyday for over 2 years and it has held up beautifully
That looks like a good option too. All leather from $30-37, steel core for $47. However, I'm probably going to try the KORE. It is a little more money, but since it can easily be adjusted, having to only have to buy one belt until I reach my goal weight (and still being able to use the same belt when I get there if I like it) puts it over the top. I'm going to try one in brown, and if I like it, I'll order another in black and that will cover all my belt needs while losing weight.
Old December 21, 2019, 11:32 AM   #12
lapetrarca53

This is what I use. Love it......

https://relentless-tactical.com/coll...gun-belt-brown
Old December 21, 2019, 12:00 PM   #13
RGRacing

Bought the Bladetech Ultimate Carry belt About $50-$60 - Ratchet type and I have it set to 40" with a little extra just incase I bloom. Love that it holds up the heavy stuff and is so adjustable. In a year I might knock off another inch.
Old December 21, 2019, 02:10 PM   #14
T. O'Heir

"...currently down 35-40 pounds..." Congratulations. It ain't easy doing that.
It's easier and far less expensive to just poke a new hole as required. Then buy a new belt when you've reached your goal weight. Poking holes in leather, assuming your belt is leather, isn't difficult. You can buy a hole punch relatively inexpensively in Home Depot, Wally World, any hardware store or fabric shop.
Old December 21, 2019, 03:16 PM   #15
chaim

So the KORE and the Bladetech look like the same concept, and they are adjustable so they are the perfect option while I'm still dropping weight. Are there any others along those lines, and is one definitely better than the other?

Quote:
"...currently down 35-40 pounds..." Congratulations. It ain't easy doing that.
Thank you. I've been using NOOM and it works. Actually, the coaching is annoying. The "lessons" were good at first, but a few months in (I started in mid-Sept) they are starting to get annoying. Logging and tracking my food/calories and exercise is what has been working for me. I also started using a step counter, and replaced the one I had with a Fitbit for more features, and I set up a nice little exercise room in the spare bedroom. Originally, I set 230-240 as my goal weight, not really believing I could get there (started at 305), now I'm thinking I should be able to get below 200 by 2021 at the latest (and probably by the end of the summer).

Quote:
It's easier and far less expensive to just poke a new hole as required.
I thought about that, but the rather long, loose flap of leather is already getting on my nerves. Add another inch or two (let alone, 6) and it will be beyond annoying. The two adjustable belts look like good options since I can wear them now, and they'll still fit when I've hit my weight target.
Old December 21, 2019, 06:15 PM   #16
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaim View Post
OK, I am in the process of losing a lot of weight. I am currently down 35-40 pounds so my clothes don't fit. However, I have another 70 or so to go, so that is a lot of clothing purchases, and I need to minimize costs until I'm at my final size.

I know what gun belt brands I usually like, but they are mostly in the $80-100 range, and for a temporary belt, I need to be well under that (I'd like to be well under $50 if I can).

Now, another option, no gun belt. I live in MD, don't have one of the few jobs that allow a MD CCW permit, so I can only carry when in a state that allows me to carry on my UT non-resident permit. I'm usually in WV, VA or DE a couple days a month, and out of state for a trip a few times a year, so I do only carry part time. Maybe if I stick with my smaller and lighter guns (say 20oz or less) for now, I could make do with the $20-30 department store belts I currently have as a stop gap until I'm at a more permanent size and buy better belts again.
Wilderness Tactical. Even with the extended size you'll probably need, you'll probably still be around the price range. Get the "EZ-Fit" version, as they have extended velcro for a greater range of adjustiblity.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 21, 2019, 07:04 PM   #17
tallwalker

Wilderness Tactical for the win. Great company and great value. I have three - “Frequent Flier” which I wear with shorts, a metal buckle instructors belt, and another with polymer d-rings. I love the polymer buckles when metal detectors are around and they are more comfortable. Have had them all for over 5 years now and are worn daily. Still work like new. Spring for the extra stitching it’s worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old December 21, 2019, 08:26 PM   #18
John22

https://www.hanksbelts.com/ I have their economy model... works great!!! https://www.hanksbelts.com/collectio...led-carry-belt
Old December 21, 2019, 08:32 PM   #19
Doyle

I've bought two on Ebay that were supposedly Amish made. Both were very high quality and I think I paid about $35 earch.
Old December 21, 2019, 10:24 PM   #20
1MoreFord

Hanks Less Than Perfect.

https://www.hanksbelts.com/pages/ltp-belt-details

Once you get to your desired weight I recommend the 14oz Big Foot Gunbelt.
Old December 24, 2019, 11:04 PM   #21
std7mag

When i was looking for one, my local gun shop has the DeSantis belt for $25.
When my daughter was looking for one, she ended up with the same.
Black leather, with black hardware. Acceptable for everyday jeans and a shirt, or dressing up.
They have been good belts for us.
Note, my weight/waist fluctuate in the course of the year.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...