The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 10, 2021, 08:32 PM   #26
Forte S+W

I honestly think that they should just stick with the PPK at this point because it's just so iconic, so synonymous with James Bond at this point.

If not, then I say give Bond some makebelieve updated PPK made by Q chambered in some sort of Gyrojet-esq Rocket Cartridge. Keep the exact same look as the PPK, just dress it up a bit to make it look more spytech/futuristic.
You know, for all the folks who apparently can't suspend their disbelief that a Spy with access to all sorts of Sci-Fi gadgets would carry an older style of firearm chambered in a less powerful cartridge.

The moment they begin to "update" Bond for the modern era is the moment that the series will inevitably go into a downward spiral as the character is gutted to fit modern sensibilities. I dunno about you, but I don't want to see a "modernized" James Bond equipped with a seldom used SIG P365, a man bun, stretch pants, and a Manscape bodyhair trimmer thats actually a stun gun on his quest to rid the world of Social Injustice. *shudders*
Old October 10, 2021, 09:01 PM   #27
Catchabullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
I honestly think that they should just stick with the PPK at this point because it's just so iconic, so synonymous with James Bond at this point.

If not, then I say give Bond some makebelieve updated PPK made by Q chambered in some sort of Gyrojet-esq Rocket Cartridge. Keep the exact same look as the PPK, just dress it up a bit to make it look more spytech/futuristic.

You know, for all the folks who apparently can't suspend their disbelief that a Spy with access to all sorts of Sci-Fi gadgets would carry an older style of firearm chambered in a less powerful cartridge.

The moment they begin to "update" Bond for the modern era is the moment that the series will inevitably go into a downward spiral as the character is gutted to fit modern sensibilities. I dunno about you, but I don't want to see a "modernized" James Bond equipped with a seldom used SIG P365, a man bun, stretch pants, and a Manscape bodyhair trimmer thats actually a stun gun on his quest to rid the world of Social Injustice. *shudders*
I agree to a point... Ftr I carry an "antiquated" firearm.. albeit I just went from a combat commander to a staccato c for edc... Even though I'm not an elite operator, just a scientist. But I digress, I agree with this post due to the forethought.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Old October 10, 2021, 09:39 PM   #28
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W
I dunno about you, but I don't want to see a "modernized" James Bond equipped with a seldom used SIG P365, a man bun, stretch pants, and a Manscape bodyhair trimmer thats actually a stun gun on his quest to rid the world of Social Injustice.
Talk about your slippery slope fallacy, check this action out.

007 is already a woman in the newest film. It wasn't the P365 that did it either.
Maintain situational awareness
Old October 10, 2021, 11:07 PM   #29
SSGN-Doc

Or he could go back to carrying a Beretta 418 in .25 ACP if we wanted to go full retro, “I’m Bond, and I do what I want”.
Old October 10, 2021, 11:21 PM   #30
WheelGunMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
As the internet's biggest fan of the Walther P99, the P99

P365 just doesn't have a single negative though.
Yes it does...to small for a lot of hands. Had one.. didn't like it..sold it..bought a Kimber Micro 9.
Old October 10, 2021, 11:41 PM   #31
ballardw

From several scenes in the movie - whatever the dead bad guy dropped when shot with the last round from the PPK.

Anyone else question why two British secret agents were using M4 or similar clones and not a British rifle???
Old October 10, 2021, 11:44 PM   #32
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballardw View Post
From several scenes in the movie - whatever the dead bad guy dropped when shot with the last round from the PPK.

Anyone else question why two British secret agents were using M4 or similar clones and not a British rifle???

The L85 doesn’t have the best reputation, though by all accounts H&K did a good job with the A2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 10, 2021, 11:52 PM   #33
AzShooter

Modern Bond should carry a modern Walther. Simple as that.
Old October 11, 2021, 12:08 AM   #34
Sgt127

It’s Bond. The PPK, in its proper chambering of .32acp (7.65mm) is the simply THE gun for a 00 agent. Reliable. Low recoil. Accurate and controllable. It’s classy and, old school. It’s a Bombay Sapphire Martini in a Craft beer, man bun world.

The General Officer guns for the US Military was the Colt 1903/1908 in .32 ACP (or .380)
The OSS carried the same gun.
The Honor weapon of the Nazi Party was the PPK.

It’s a traditional weapon choice for a traditional agent.

Keep the PPK. It’s part of the image.
Old October 11, 2021, 12:41 AM   #35
SSGN-Doc

It isn’t 1939, 1942, 1945, 1950 of the 1960s any longer though, and the Bond franchise moved forward in most other respects.
Again, you could keep it Walther but even they admit nostalgia and US Bond fans are probably the only thing keeping the PPK in production. There are “handier” .32s and .380s now, not to mention 9x19mm subcompacts.

And as far as class goes, bond ordered the Vesper Martini with Gordon’s. Not even Beefeater, let alone, Bombay Saphire, but bloody Gordon’s Gin.

They did keep it a PPK, or actually went back to a PPK solely for image.

Solidly in the “once the went P99 they should’ve stuck with it” camp.

Old October 11, 2021, 07:27 AM   #36
TunnelRat

What pistol would a modern James Bond use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt127 View Post
It’s a traditional weapon choice for a traditional agent.

Keep the PPK. It’s part of the image.
If you remember back in Dr. No, Bond was forced to switch to the PPK as his Beretta had jammed on him in a previous mission. It was a matter of reliability, not image.

Back when these novels and movies were written the PPK was a practical choice. Today Walther itself has other models that offer a more powerful cartridge in capacities similar or greater than the PPK for similar weights and sizes. I have actually been enjoying shooting small blowback pistols lately and I’m not arguing the PPK is a bad choice per se. However, it doesn’t make a lot of sense, to me, for Bond to continue to use the PPK. His gadgets have been updated, his cars have been updated (appearances for the sake of nostalgia aside), and his enemies and mission has changed with the times. To me James Bond is more than a choice in sidearm, especially as he is a character that has quite often used weapons he finds in the environment to get himself out of trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; October 11, 2021 at 07:48 AM.
Old October 11, 2021, 09:09 PM   #37
Kurbsky

I think Walther is a good gunmaker but IMHO this old model became an iconic Bond weapon only because Mr Fleming liked the way it looks. Not for any practical or rational reason. Personally I find it harder and harder to believe that for longer ranges we see in some movies PPK can consistently do the job. At 5 yards - yes, no problem.
Old October 12, 2021, 08:21 AM   #38
great scot

He should carry a Sig P365 SAS. Same size as PPK, cool sighting system that is good for fast target acquisition and point shooting, it looks good and it has a shorter name when he is talking to Q about his equipment. Also fits nicely in holster under a tux.
Old October 12, 2021, 08:37 AM   #39
101combatvet

Bond? James Bond? He would use a Mauser HSc like he was always supposed to.
Old October 12, 2021, 09:17 AM   #40
wild cat mccane

I bet the PPK only exists because of James Bond at this point. Honestly.

The Sig P232 discontinued in 2014 and no one seems to have noticed or cared. While I like Walther, I think the P232 had a lot going for it over the PPKs.
Old October 12, 2021, 10:05 AM   #41
Pumpkin

Sig 232 is a much better choice than the Walther.
Old October 13, 2021, 11:02 AM   #42
TRX

Fleming's Bond would probably carry a micro-9 of some sort. Broccoli's Bond would carry something like a Boberg in stainless, with a laser, optic, and Picatinny chainsaw attachment.
Old October 13, 2021, 11:24 AM   #43
Webleymkv

Bond (at lest the cinematic one) is a fictional, and not particularly realistic spy, so there really isn't any reason for his choice of firearm to be particularly realistic or practical. The PPK is as much a part of the James Bond character as his expensive wristwatch, exotic cars, or way with women. As such, I see no reason to change it as most of the fans aren't watching the films to see a realistic representation of espionage, but rather for escapism and nostalgia (I say this as a very big fan of Bond films and novels).

If we were trying to make Bond as realistic a spy as possible, then I'd think his choice of weapons would be dependent upon the mission. For example, if Bond were going undercover as a Red Army officer, then something like a TT-33 Tokarev or Makarov PM (depending on the time period) would be most appropriate. For some missions, it might be better for Bond to be unarmed as the risk of a blown cover due to being caught with a weapon would be much greater than the chances of needing to defend one's self with said weapon.

As I said, the cinematic Bond isn't a particularly realistic spy, but the literary one (at least in Fleming's early novels) was a bit more realistic (though realism was still usually secondary to a fun and exciting plot). While Fleming was known not to be particularly knowledgeable about firearms (his Bond novels often demonstrate this) he wasn't completely ignorant to them and consulted with people like Geoffrey Boothroyd in an attempt to get the basics right. Choosing small-caliber, concealable handguns over larger, more powerful ones was an absolutely realistic choice particularly in the 1950's and 1960's when the original novels were written.

Fleming originally chose the Beretta .25 (the model is never specified in the novels but we assume it's a 418) as it was similar to the Colt .25 Auto he'd been issued from SOE during WWII. Boothroyd, being a "gun guy" took issue with the choice of a .25 and wrote to Fleming initially suggesting a S&W Centennial Airweight .38 Special. Fleming responded thanking Boothroyd for his comment and stating that he'd prefer to arm Bond with a semi-automatic partly so that it could be fitted with a "silencer." The PPK was Boothroyd's second suggestion.

Also, in the novels, Bond quite often does opt for a larger, more powerful firearm when concealment is less critical to the mission. In Dr. No, the novel in which Bond is forced to give up his Beretta, he is issued not only the Walther PPK but also the S&W Centennial Airweight as a "heavy weapon" (like I said, Fleming wasn't a gun expert) and uses the S&W throughout the latter part of the novel on Crab Key. Also, Bond frequently uses a "Colt Army .45" such as in Moonraker and A View to a Kill. Bond also frequently requisitions long guns for various missions such as the Winchester .308 "target rifle" he uses in The Living Daylights (changed to a Walther WA2000 in the film) or the Savage Model 99 he uses in For Your Eyes Only.
Old October 13, 2021, 11:40 AM   #44
Skans

Boberg XR9s.....Now made by Bond Arms.
Old October 13, 2021, 04:51 PM   #45
pete2

Bond is getting pretty old, he prolly use a Shield EZ.
Old October 13, 2021, 05:50 PM   #46
ccSnoopycc

^^^^^ This. That's hilarious.
I don't see a problem with the ppk. Heck I still CCW a Walther PP clone and enjoy it greatly. If anything he should at least stay with a Walther.

I mean in all reality real spy's dont even carry. Well unless they are smuggling information out. Then they carry PB&J sandwiches.

Maybe for really deep concealment a Kel Tec P32?
Old October 13, 2021, 11:00 PM   #47
TXAZ

Sig 226 Mastershop

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 13, 2021, 11:17 PM   #48
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Fleming's Bond would probably carry a micro-9 of some sort.
Good point. A lot of folks have never read any of the books. Fleming armed Bond with a number of pretty interesting firearms, including, as I recall, a .44Magnum revolver and a 9mm ASP.
Old October 14, 2021, 06:55 AM   #49
Geezerbiker

It's not very British but I thing a Kimber Micro 9 would be a good choice. Enough power and rounds to do the job, would fit well under a tuxedo jacket and just as sexy as a 9mm can be...

Tony
Old October 14, 2021, 11:02 AM   #50
simonrichter

actually, the Walther PPS would appear kind of logical to me - it's kind of Walther's updated take on a subcompact, concealed carry gun. Not quite the charmer in terms of aesthetics, I must admit, but functionally, it would be a more feasible PPK successor tha the P99 which is more G19-sized.

In any case, a proper Bond gun needs to be outfitted with a, best ridiculously small, suppressor!!