The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 9, 2021, 05:38 PM   #26
Scorch

You guys act like Colt is your local corner gunstore gunsmith who won't give you a treat. One reason they quit making Pythons in the first place is they got tired of being held hostage by the UAW over when and how the union workers would do anything. It's not that all the old workers are retired, they could train new ones. Colt looked real hard at which guns required the minimum of hand work and focused on those guns. Yes, some people still want a revolver, but revolvers are more of a novelty or range toy nowadays, nobody carries a revolver for serious work. Revolvers need LOTS of hand work to be really smooth and nice, and people keep looking at the pricetag and shaking their heads so the manufacturers drop the expensive to make guns and focus on the guns that cost less. That's why Colt focused on 1911s 40 years ago.
Old October 9, 2021, 08:34 PM   #27
Kurbsky

Unfortunately making cheaper staff is the way to go not just just for revolvers. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find full metal pistol models. Plastic is cheap and a lot of people do not care as long as it's accurate and light.
Old October 10, 2021, 08:06 AM   #28
The Happy kaboomer

Wrong. Colt priced themselves out of the market. Also at the first gov. contract for M16's they scaled back civilian gun production back to almost ZERO. They have done this several times. Did ya know Colt once owned HOLLY carburators?.......LOTS of misinformation be spewed out there.
Revolvers are not a novelty or range toy......All the BIG BOOMERS are revolvers. They are as popular as ever.........Not everyone wants a plastic....pew....pew.
Old October 10, 2021, 12:00 PM   #29
Kurbsky

I certainly do not want plastics anymore and I agree that Colt products are overpriced. I dont't see much hope coming from the new owner CZ. After CZ bought Dan Wesson they did not nake their pistils any cheaper and they discontinued production of the DW revolver. CZ 1911 was a great product for a very good price but that was just a one time special. I did not even get one because I was too late to the party.
Old October 10, 2021, 03:21 PM   #30
Bill DeShivs

While carbon steel is entirely adequate for handguns, it rusts. Bluing is the least protective coating for carbon steel.
Stainless has superseded carbon steel, as a rule.
There is no real reason to use it today.
Old October 10, 2021, 04:33 PM   #31
Kurbsky

Good point Bill... but isn't carbon steel a little bit harder and resistant to mechanical stress than stainless?
Old October 10, 2021, 05:50 PM   #32
jackmoser65

On the flipside, there's no real reason not to use it either. Stainless may be a bit easier to maintain but folks seem to do just fine with guns that are not dishwasher safe.
Old October 26, 2021, 10:14 AM   #33
Master Blaster

If they can make a high polish stainless and a carbon steel blued gun they can combine the two.

https://colt.com/detail-page/colts-m...9rd-1-magazine

https://colt.com/detail-page/colt-o5...ntlmtc-45-5-bl
Old October 27, 2021, 09:50 AM   #34
KyJim

I have a a couple of highly polished stainless Colts that surpasses some nickel finishes I have seen. Below is a Python (lighting doesn't do it justice) and a 1911.

They are beautiful gun, but still not as nice as a nice blued Python:

Old October 28, 2021, 01:08 PM   #35
Archer1440

If Colt produced new Pythons with a high-quality black DLC coating, that may well be the ‘ultimate’ finish for the pieces. They would sell every one they could make- just as they do the current new Pythons-, without a doubt.
Old October 29, 2021, 12:38 PM   #36
HenryT

Probably if the demand and profit justifies it.

There is a niche in the market for very high-end classic revolver like the vintage Python. Colt might come out with a limited edition series with all the glory of past vintage Pythons and mark a price tag that costs perhaps 4 times of the current SS pythons. And you know what, there are going to be people willing to pay for it because it is a mind game when it comes to owning the best of the best regardless of the practicality side of what the firearm is really for.
Old November 5, 2021, 12:06 PM   #37
Wheel-Gunner

Quote:
There is no real reason to use it today.
Why thank you for the unequivocal conclusion, and thank you for speaking for the entire firearms industry. Just tell all those rifle manufacturers to stop using blued carbon barrels. By your opined absolute, why make revolvers at all? I am told by many that there is no room for these antiquated limiting designs given the plethora of semi autos available. When was the last time you saw one used as a primary weapon by law enforcement? "There is no real reason to use it today." I suppose I should also get rid of all my manual transmissions as well. I could list countless parallels that would fit your logic.

How about because I happen to like the looks of a blued revolver better?? Is that a good enough reason?
Old November 5, 2021, 02:25 PM   #38
Bill DeShivs

Sorry if my opinion offended people.
Here- perhaps there is no LOGICAL reason to use it today.
Old November 5, 2021, 02:43 PM   #39
wild cat mccane

I agree.

But someone is going to come in and say carbon steel offers more accuracy.
Old November 5, 2021, 04:11 PM   #40
Bill DeShivs

How many blued guns have rusted to the point of looking terrible?
How many blued guns have been "reblued" and ruined?
Look- I make knives, and I use carbon steel almost exclusively. I have nothing against it. Certain gun parts are better made of carbon steel, but the major parts can be made of stainless easily.
Old November 5, 2021, 09:45 PM   #41
44 AMP
Staff

stainless steel and carbon steel alloys are not "identical" other than one doesn't rust. They have different properties and while they can be similar they are not exactly the same. Most of the time, this doesn't matter. For some specific applications, it does matter.
Old November 6, 2021, 08:48 AM   #42
jackmoser65

Illogical or not, there are people who don't care for stainless steel. Be it guns or knives. Most people identify royal blue as a defining characteristic of the Python.
Old November 6, 2021, 10:20 AM   #43
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
When will Colt start making Pythons in Royal Blue?
Probably when you order and pre-pay for 500 (or more) guns. Might not need to pay for that many up front, might need to pay for more, talk to Colt about that.

I really wouldn't expect to see any before someone does that.