The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 18, 2021, 09:39 AM   #1
Kurbsky

Does Kimber 4" revolver make sense?

My understanding of Kimber revolver strategy is to make lighter, more concealable, portable revolvers without getting into aluminium or light alloy frames. That means some sacrifices by the shooter of .357 mag - unpleasant recoil. I think it's OK, however, when you get into 4" or longer barrel territory, my expectations are that the recoil should be much less in .357 mag because it's a bigger, heavier revolver and it must be easy on your hand. I don't think it is happening. The gun is too light. What do you think?
Old July 18, 2021, 12:05 PM   #2
ChasHam

You didn't mention what you wanted it for but for me, a 4" barrel would be longer that I'd want to try to tote around concealed.

Probably be good as a holstered trail or open carry gun if it's light. Maybe not so much for a lot of range/plinking shooting where I'd want something heavier. But then again, I've become kinda' recoil-sensitive as the years have piled up...
Old July 18, 2021, 01:53 PM   #3
wild cat mccane

Taurus makes a light Tracker and a med heavy 66 in 4". Might help you answer the question if lighter guns in the same barrel length change felt recoil.

If not a trail gun, I wouldn't like a 4" revolver to carry.
Old July 18, 2021, 08:51 PM   #4
Kurbsky

wild cat... What is the best revolver barrel length to carry in your opinion?
Old July 19, 2021, 05:10 AM   #5
jetinteriorguy

A couple years ago I picked up a used Rossi, I forget the model number, but it was a 3” barrel, held six rounds, roughly a J frame size handle but a K size frame, in .357 magnum. For me it was the perfect size and combination firepower for CC. When it actually functioned I shot it very well with standard.38 sp loads. Due to it’s constant malfunctioning, and it being part of Taurus’s recall a couple years ago I returned it for repair. Unfortunately they wouldn’t repair it but did replace it with a gun that I hated and sold off.
Old July 19, 2021, 07:26 AM   #6
JustJake

Quote:
Due to it’s constant malfunctioning, and it being part of Taurus’s recall a couple years ago I returned it for repair. Unfortunately they wouldn’t repair it but did replace it with a gun that I hated and sold off.
Sounds like Taurus' Lifetime Warranty policy worked then?
Old July 19, 2021, 12:54 PM   #7
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake View Post
Sounds like Taurus' Lifetime Warranty policy worked then?
With a lot of patience, took almost a year and a half to be completely resolved. But, hey, it could have been worse, especially since I wasn’t the original purchaser. Like they say, it beats a stick in the eye. All in all I broke even money wise. I almost wished I’d taken the option of accepting the gun returned broken and letting them off the hook by doing so. I really liked the gun and should have just either repaired it myself or had a gunsmith fix it.
Old July 19, 2021, 01:06 PM   #8
Schlitz 45

I have a 2.5" Kimber K6 that's no problem shooting heavy 357 self defense loads-all it needed was the comfort control grips so the back strap of the metal grip is cushioned a bit. They made a huge difference
Old July 20, 2021, 08:47 PM   #9
wild cat mccane

I have an opinion that isn't terribly helpful...I don't think J-frames carry all that well for my lifestyle as they are like an orange in the pocket. So really no revolver. I think 2" would be it. A 3 and 4 inch revolver is getting pretty dang long.

I didn't mean go with Taurus. Not in the slightest. I just meant to say you might try googling owner real world experience using the Taurus light Tracker vs the medium heavy M66 as your google search criteria for recoil between the two frames. A Taurus M66 is more like a S&W 66/686 mix and the Tracker is probably more close to the 4" Kimber that you are thinking. While the Tracker is ported, you'll probably find the comparison of recoil you are looking for. I think most people who shoot 357 are recoil junkies though.

357 recoil is absurd in a small revolver for the juice you get. I don't know. I think if you wanted 357, I get your interest in the 4" barrel for the 357. Since you asked, I think you can accomplish the same defense role in something better for all the space all with a better bullet in 9mm. Meh.
Old July 20, 2021, 09:50 PM   #10
Kurbsky

Frankly I would not consider anything less than 4" in .357 mag, primarily because of the recoil. I know it's a bad comparison because that S&W I one had had aluminium frame but 2.5 inch in 38 special was a real torture and my hand would feel pain for 2 days (3 days with+P). Of course, everybody is different and I would imagine for some people it would be fine.
Old July 20, 2021, 10:20 PM   #11
burrhead

I guess I don't see the problem carrying a 4" revolver. Years ago I toted a 4" S&W M65 before I went to a Colt Government. These days it's a G19. All of these in an OWB holster under an untucked shirt. What's the deference?

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old July 22, 2021, 09:05 PM   #12
hootey

Quote:
I guess I don't see the problem carrying a 4" revolver. Years ago I toted a 4" S&W M65 before I went to a Colt Government. These days it's a G19. All of these in an OWB holster under an untucked shirt. What's the deference?
Carried a 4" M65 for over a year and half, never a problem. Now I carry an XDS. I wouldn't have a problem with a Kimber, just have to dress accordingly.
Old July 23, 2021, 06:36 AM   #13
Carl the Floor Walker

Personally I would love to have a Kimber K6 in either length. I also do not believe any gun other than a small 380 is meant for a pocket. If you want a Revolver without getting into aluminum or light alloy frames, then I would suggest the LCR9mm. Easy to shoot, strong, solid, ballistics and are great without the harsh recoil of the 357 or the noise and flash of the 327. That said, if the ammo shortage was not going on, I would get the 327 and carry 32 H&R magnum.
Not saying you cannot put it in a pocket, but easy to carry on a close to the body holster. Weighs only 17oz. I shoot the LCR9mm often, )or at least I did before the shortage) typically loaded up 40 moonclips the night before going to the range.

https://revolverguy.com/the-327-fede...num-ruger-lcr/
Old July 25, 2021, 02:14 AM   #14
V-fib

kimber k6s TLE.jpg this is a stock picture of my Kimber K6s TLE 3" bbl. .357 is quite stout without gloves. .38sp is very easy on the hands
Old August 15, 2021, 02:44 PM   #15
cruzie27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlitz 45 View Post
I have a 2.5" Kimber K6 that's no problem shooting heavy 357 self defense loads-all it needed was the comfort control grips so the back strap of the metal grip is cushioned a bit. They made a huge difference
Can you tell me about your grips please? I just got a 2” K6s (dasa) and I’d like to see if there is a way to get a different grip to work.
Old September 8, 2021, 01:30 PM   #16
nfmMike

@Schlitz 45 try the Hogue Bantam - a lot of folks like it, some folks do not, feel there ought to be more. For my med/large hands, this grip is at the very edge of useful - therefore, it works

hogue right 1024x498.jpg

"No arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."- Ronald Reagan
Old September 21, 2021, 06:30 PM   #17
Mr.RevolverGuy

Great question. For concealed carry along with Federal HST Micro 38 +P wadcutter my go to is the 2inch. Let me rank them according to my usage. Meaning my intent purpose is 60% concealed carry, 30% home defense 10% range fun. In order this would mean

Kimber 2inch
Kimber 3inch
Kimber 4inch

Though the Kimber 4inch is the most fun on the range.

I hope that makes since.

Here is a video of all barrel lengths across the chronograph with 158gr 357Magnum.
https://dayattherange.com/?p=7074
Old September 22, 2021, 09:42 PM   #18
Kurbsky

My CC gun is Bersa single stock, if I go to a place where there may be wild animals like bears - then G19. I tried and failed to conceal a revolver - it is not flat enough for me.
Old September 24, 2021, 11:37 AM   #19
stinkeypete

All this talk about fearing bears makes me wonder. I have seen so many black bears, I could not even count 'em.

All these people wanting bear protection- have you ever actually seen a black bear?

My comments are different if you live in Alaska or are out west packing out elk meat. Then the pistol question is obvious. Have a big rifle and a couple of watchful friends.

I like the Bersa Thunder a lot for woods walking, but it throws the brass into the weeds. I got the Ruger LCRx in .38 and 3" barrel as my woods gun. I wish it was 4" for the better sight radius. I shoot tin cans, pine cones, and spent shotgun shells I find in the trail. I pack out the trash I find, after I make sure it's dead. 4" is a nice length for a woods revolver.

Animals just don't scare me. I was glad to see a couple of Grizzlies in Wyoming at about a mile distance. We got out of there, because a mile is pretty close at the speed a grizzly can run. Not scared, just being smart. Even with a .444 marlin, I would still not feel safe against a grizzly, all alone.
Old September 24, 2021, 05:47 PM   #20
Willie Lowman

A 3" 357 is about the same length as a Glock 19 (one of the most popular CC semi autos out there.) A 4" is going to be longer, putting you into equivalence of a Glock 34 which is not a good choice for IWB carry in my honest opinion. OWB with a good (long) cover garment, sure.