The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 9, 2021, 06:36 PM   #1
stagpanther

Follow-up review of Wby 300 wby mag MK 5

This is my hunting friend's "new style" MK 5 with rosewood stock, spiral-fluted magnum bolt and sports a trijicon 2.5 x 12 red dot scope. My friend (who has me work on all his rifles) got this shortly before his African safari hunt to replace an old burned out MK 5. I got my hands on it to tune up a few days before he left and noticed the bolt had difficulty closing on the cartridge. Part of this is due to the newer, shorter bolt throw--there's an odd "snap" that happens which I never experienced with older MK 5's. Where I checked the headspace I found the bolt couldn't couldn't close on a go gauge, and I very reluctantly told my buddy that he shouldn't take it on his hunt. It went back to Weatherby and they were nice enough to do a quick turn-around. I don't know exactly what they did to correct the headspace issue, but upon return the headspace checked fine and the bolt looked brand new.

I just put the rings and scope back on and re-zeroed it this afternoon for 300 yds. I left the rifle in totally stock condition--which includes their infamous "stock bump" which contacts the barrel--though it looks like in the newer MK 5's they've moved it rearward some. I still have no idea whether or not it actually helps shooting accuracy, it might be something like a rabbit's foot for good luck for all I know.

My first shot (using Weatherby's factory select 180 gr ttsx's) at 100 yds was only 1" off from POA, that was pretty nice. Using the drop estimation, my second shot at 200 yds was only off by an inch also (not really much difference between 100 and 200 yds anyway). Using the drop info off the ammo box, I adjusted the elevation for 300 yds (interesting discussion about this elsewhere on the forum), the first shot was a bit less than a few inches low and right of POA--but still within MOA of it.

By the time I was ready to go for a grouping it was 5:15 and the light was fading--but perfect conditions that play to the strength of the Trijicon. Only problem is turning the illuminated dot up also increases its size, so I switched to a larger dirty-bird target and did the best I could to center the reticle in the whole target. That turned out to be a good choice, and I believe matches reasonably well to the sighting of game at distance. I then shot this group.

I was pretty impressed, weatherby's don't get much love in general--but among some hunters they do, and I can see why.

While I've always liked Weatherby's I do have a couple nit-picks about this particular model. While the rosewood looked great--it's a soft wood that is easily dinged IMO (don't ask me how I found that out). The new bolt isn't as easy to work as the older one, so while the reduced bolt throw is a major improvement, the increased work in operating the bolt is a negative IMO compared to their older one--but I could see getting used to it after some practice. the other nit-pick I have related to the bolt is that for the length of pull of the stock--the tail of the bolt comes very far back when cycling, so if you like to keep your sight picture for follow-up shots at the same cheek-weld--unless you adjust your scope and weld you could end up popping yourself in the nose or face with the bolt. I don't necessarily think it's the fault of the bolt design--despite having rather short arms I find the LOP of the stock to be on the short side for my tastes. This may be a quirk of just this particular model. Despite all that, it's a great shooter and no doubt is going to be the death of much game over the ensuing years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5865.jpg (225.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg TG new 300 wbymg Mk 5 180 ttsx 300 yd zero.jpg (102.3 KB, 75 views)
Old October 9, 2021, 10:32 PM   #2
Colorado Redneck

Nice group! And the rifle is very attractive. Nothing like dinging up a new rifle stock to make it feel normal.
Old October 10, 2021, 01:40 AM   #3
stagpanther

It took all the willpower I had not to tell my friend I accidentally lost his rifle.
Old October 10, 2021, 06:45 AM   #4
std7mag

It's amazing how many more accidents i have when there's a gun in the boat...

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old October 10, 2021, 10:17 AM   #5
stagpanther

I actually was out on a boat yesterday--should have thought of that.