The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 7, 2018, 03:05 PM   #1
MandolinMan

Tisas Hi Power Clone

So I just discovered that there's a new Hi Power clone being imported by Tisas as the Regent BR9. It appears to be offered in either a stainless or black (epoxy?) finish. The limited info that I've seen so far suggests that its a close copy of the FN design with interchangeable grips, mags and parts.

Has anyone here handled or shot one of these yet?
" The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper
Old August 7, 2018, 03:21 PM   #2
Fishbed77

There is a ton of information these here:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=896346

In all, it sounds like a solid pistol, aside from the metallurgy of a few small parts that can be easily replaced with FN parts.

I was tempted for a few seconds, but decided to spend about the same amount of money on an Israeli surplus FN Mark III.
Old August 7, 2018, 03:21 PM   #3
Model12Win

Horrific QC issues with this new BHP clone. Broken extractors, other broken parts, as it it's an absolute flop. Avoid!!
Old August 7, 2018, 03:46 PM   #4
Fishbed77

Quote:
Horrific QC issues with this new BHP clone. Broken extractors, other broken parts, as it it's an absolute flop. Avoid!!
Again, I recommend you read through the thread linked above rather than buying into the first hyperbole you see on the internet.

BH Sping Solutions, a company that knows Hi-Powers, has done some testing of these pistols and found the quality to be generally quite good, aside from a few small parts they recommend replacing with FN parts. They have posted their experience in that thread and in some others at 1911forum.com.

Again, my preference would be a surplus FN pistol (which are unfortunately going up in price thanks to the end of FN Hi-Power production), but it you have to have a new or better-looking pistol, the Tisas BR9 may be an option for you if you are willing to do your research and change a few inexpensive parts out.

Last edited by Fishbed77; August 8, 2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old August 7, 2018, 04:55 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I saw it and handled it at the 2018 SHOT Show and I was very impressed by it. But I have not shot it.
Old August 7, 2018, 07:08 PM   #6
muzzleblast...

Tisas? I realize that FN has ceased production of the Hi Power. But there are thousands and thousands of good to excellent used BHPs on the market. Personally, I would pay the premium for the real thing. Of course, that is not to say that there is necessarily anything wrong with an economically priced alternative, if that is one's prerogative.
Old August 7, 2018, 09:15 PM   #7
scoobysnacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzleblast... View Post
But there are thousands and thousands of good to excellent used BHPs on the market.
fwiw, none of these are stainless. That doesn't drive me, but it does influence some people.

I have to admit, a stainless HP doesn't sound bad...
Old August 7, 2018, 09:39 PM   #8
TunnelRat

Last time I was on gunbroker the prices of used Hi Powers had gone a bit bananas, imo. While you're right that thousands of them were made, the people that have them now seem to be holding onto them and the people willing to sell want, in many cases, close to what were new prices. Now this isn't true of all auctions obviously, but a fair amount of the Israeli surplus has dried up too. I see this as an alternative. I'm pretty interested tbh.
Maintain situational awareness
Old August 7, 2018, 10:23 PM   #9
gc70

My son bought a Regent BR9. I am impressed by its build quality. And even I shot it with surprising accuracy at the range.
Old August 8, 2018, 07:17 AM   #10
WVsig

Broken small parts, extractor & firing pin retaining plate, on a BHSS modified gun. The gun ships under sprung and is not drop safe. Other people reported broken extractors. BHSS Gun has an out of spec barrel. The stock sight cuts are none standard and the way they are done there is not enough material to do a Novak cut according the Novak.

With all of those issues one has to wonder why someone would choose this over a real FN/Browning.

Prices have gone up but properly price BHPs are out there. Right now on GB solid MKII and MKIII surplus shooters are going for $475-$600 from a known importer.

I would not take this clone if you gave it to me.
Old August 8, 2018, 07:30 AM   #11
Fishbed77

Quote:
Right now on GB solid MKII and MKIII surplus shooters are going for $475-$600 from a known importer.
Who is this importer/Gunbroker seller?

I was able to snag one of the very last Israeli surplus Hi-Powes from CDI Sales a few months ago before a warehouse fire put them out of business. I haven't seen much in the way of these on Gunbroker in the last few months and I'm curious of who's bringing them in now.
Old August 8, 2018, 08:02 AM   #12
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
Who is this importer/Gunbroker seller?

I was able to snag one of the very last Israeli surplus Hi-Powes from CDI Sales a few months ago before a warehouse fire put them out of business. I haven't seen much in the way of these on Gunbroker in the last few months and I'm curious of who's bringing them in now.
https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...29&PageSize=25
Old August 8, 2018, 08:20 AM   #13
TunnelRat

Those actually are quite nice, thanks!
Old August 8, 2018, 09:30 AM   #14
Fishbed77

On no. This is not gonna be good for my wallet.

I've been checking Mach 1 Arsenal periodically, but haven't seen anything there in months. Glad to know the flow has picked back up.
Old August 8, 2018, 08:08 PM   #15
TunnelRat

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/781474605

$805 for a surplus Hi Power. I fully admit this one appeared to be in excellent condition, but this is part of my point. Even the more used version went for $605.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/781474716

I'm not so silly as to argue that the Tisas is the same quality as the FN. However, if all someone wants is a Hi Power for the sake of it, I do think the clones have a place.
Old August 8, 2018, 08:56 PM   #16
scoobysnacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post

$805 for a surplus Hi Power. I fully admit this one appeared to be in excellent condition, but this is part of my point. Even the more used version went for $605.

I'm not so silly as to argue that the Tisas is the same quality as the FN. However, if all someone wants is a Hi Power for the sake of it, I do think the clones have a place.
The Hi Power is not my preferred platform, but I wanted an example. $200 for a parkerized FEG from CDI scratched that itch.
Old August 8, 2018, 09:05 PM   #17
WVsig

Quote:

At $805 they over paid. If you look when the first batch of these new imports sold they were going to $475-$600. Now that people have seen them the prices are pushing up. People have always overpaid for BHPs.

The last one I got was this one. $515 Shipped delivered and transferred. It is a commercial MKIII with a forged frame. I would take that over a NIB Turkish clone everyday of the week. If I was going to get a clone I would look for a FEG, Charles Daly or FM. They are not in production but they have proven to be reliable durable shooters. These new Turkish clones are an unknown. They have already shown the biggest flaw in Turkish guns which is their poor metallurgy of small parts and poor QC on barrels. As far as I can tell there is no warranty support. The importer has stated there will be support but to date I have yet to hear of a replacement part or warranty repair happening.

Last edited by WVsig; August 8, 2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old August 8, 2018, 09:10 PM   #18
WVsig

Quote:

These went for $505

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/781219910

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/781101456

$575

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/781098590

IMHO you need to know what you are looking at and what is right gun for the right price. A lot of these guns are great deals for shooters not beauty queens but then again I don't know much about BHPs.
Old August 8, 2018, 09:21 PM   #19
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysnacker View Post
The Hi Power is not my preferred platform, but I wanted an example. $200 for a parkerized FEG from CDI scratched that itch.
CDI AKA Cole's Distributing had a fire at their facility earlier this year. It was a total loss. There has been no word if they are going to get back up and running.
Old August 8, 2018, 09:21 PM   #20
TunnelRat

Quote:
The last one I got was this one. $515 Shipped delivered and transferred. It is a commercial MKIII with a forged frame. I would take that over a NIB Turkish clone everyday of the week.
For one in that condition so would I. My point wasn't that all of the used Hi Powers are going for $800. My point is many of the great deals of past years aren't currently available.

Quote:
but then again I don't know much about BHPs.
I don't remember anyone questioning your knowledge, but okay.

Last edited by TunnelRat; August 8, 2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old August 8, 2018, 09:46 PM   #21
WVsig

Quote:
For one in that condition so would I. My point wasn't that all of the used Hi Powers are going for $800. My point is many of the great deals of past years aren't currently available.

I don't remember anyone questioning your knowledge, but okay.
I was joking about the BHP knowledge. Did not transfer....

IMHO there are still great deals but you need to know where to look and when to buy. If you are in the market for one you need to do your research. Look in a lot of different places often and have cash ready to buy when the right gun comes up. For me these days I am looking for base guns.

That simple looking MKIII will end up looking like this minus the beavertail.

The gun in the post above is currently at Mr. Yost's shop and will be built into a Signature Grade 1 custom in the spring unless I can get a properly priced T series to replace it and bump the build to a Signature Grade 2 with 40 LPI checkering on the grip strap.
Old August 9, 2018, 09:33 AM   #22
MandolinMan

Thanks for the info guys.

Quote:
fwiw, none of these are stainless. That doesn't drive me, but it does influence some people.

I have to admit, a stainless HP doesn't sound bad...
The stainless finish and reasonable price tag is what initially caught my attention. I think now I'll wait and watch it for awhile and see if the QC issues are addressed by Tisas. Because there are actually number of decent quality guns coming out of Turkey its too bad this clone has issues.
" The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper
Old August 9, 2018, 12:26 PM   #23
Jim Watson

I don't understand partial stainless guns. So it doesn't matter if your hammer, trigger, safety, slide stop, and magazine catch rust?
Old August 9, 2018, 03:55 PM   #24
Fishbed77

Quote:
CDI AKA Cole's Distributing had a fire at their facility earlier this year. It was a total loss. There has been no word if they are going to get back up and running.
My understanding is that they have closed down for good.
Old August 10, 2018, 09:28 PM   #25
scoobysnacker

I noted that Mach 1 and some other gunbroker sellers seemed to take up the slack left by CDI; the last time I checked, they had some surplus at "CDI" prices.
I think some of the fairly big sellers/small importers understand there's a market for a 'beater/shooter' HP (or CZ), at a reasonable price. If you get a fairly rough finished one under $300 without heavy pitting, it's an all steel gun that can be refinished, if need be, and you still come out ahead. Or, you can keep it as is, and just enjoy it in it's ragged glory.