The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 21, 2011, 08:59 PM   #1
Nick9130White

Tips for duck hunting.

Last season was my first season duck hunting and I wounded one duck but killed none (just out of my range) but this time I'd like to brig home some duck.
You guys have any tips for me?
I'll be shooting my new benelli nova, in max 4. Shooting both 3" and 3.5" shells. Any tips will be helpful.
Old November 21, 2011, 09:54 PM   #2
globemaster3

Well, based on the information provided, it's hard to tell.

First, did you see a lot of ducks and not get them in range? Could be your deke pattern, lack of camo, bad calling (if you used a call), or you needed to shift positions.

If you weren't seeing plenty of ducks, you need to scout a better location.

Lastly, instead of buying 3.5" shells, buy some more 2.75 or 3" and practice shooting. I've found trap and skeet to be very helpful.
Old November 22, 2011, 09:53 AM   #3
AllenJ

Assuming you're hunting over decoys:

1. Become a very good shot with your new gun.
2. Hunt where the ducks want to be. That means scouting and finding out which ponds/fields the birds are using.
3. Have a jerk cord setup and use it. I'm a decent caller but so are a lot of people, and if they don't have a jerk cord my spread is going to win!
Old November 22, 2011, 12:10 PM   #4
Nick9130White

I don't see that many ducks anywhere really. They're few and far In between. But I don't really want a bunch. I like the challenge.

We are over decoys and our calls are good and we have the spinning decoys.

I'm just wondering where to shoot on a fly by. My way is aim at the duck, move forward and then go a little more in front of it.
Old November 22, 2011, 12:38 PM   #5
black mamba

I recommend you shoot some skeet with an experienced instructor to learn some leads.

Crossing shots at ducks more than 30 yards away can require 4 feet of lead or more, depending on the range and their flying speed. You also need to learn to keep the gun swinging after you pull the trigger to keep the lead you saw at the moment of firing.
Old November 24, 2011, 04:42 PM   #6
Durty

scout, scout, scout
Old November 26, 2011, 02:33 PM   #7
Orphanedcowboy

Quit while your money and sleep ahead..........

Scouting is the number one contributor to success, you don't need everything, just a few decoys, a shotgun, and a ton of patience. I have hunted 20+ days this yr and used a call twice, shot 19 limits and had a few 1 bird shy hunts. It wasn't always like that, there were a ton of disappointments along the way.

Be safe and remember, If you watch them, they will divulge their dirty little secrets, sometimes a successful hunt starts without a shot being fired, don't force it and ultimately have fun and enjoy a sunrise.

Lose the spinners, think how many times the birds have seen them in their 1000+ mile treks, sporting clays is a good way to polish up for bird season, patterning can tell you.what your gun/shell combo is doing at various yardages.
Old December 11, 2011, 11:27 PM   #8
Rich Mc

You need to find the places where the ducks want to be. They fly in 1 or 2 ways an they leave 1 or 2 ways. You need to be in those flight paths to get birds.

If you can not get to the X where they want to land, be in the way in or out and you will get some shots.

Practice shooting and learn what killing ranges are for your gun and shooting style. Most new guys shoot at birds that are out of range and only tip a few, resulting in a chase and a lost bird.

Learn how to mark your birds down - line 'em up with recognizable reference objects - then head over immediately. Walk in the step-stop method of ruffed grouse hunting and you will find more cripples as they flee. Marking helps you find the dead ones, too.

As for decoys - use what you see when you scout - if there are 100 birds in an S shape, then copy that. If 6-10 birds in a circle, do that. Keep your decoys between 15 and 25 yards. I rarely shoot more than 30 yards because it is not necessary. I'm also mostly deaf - so I rarely call. A bird inside of 30 yards is dead, dead, dead, a decoying bird drops still.

If you want to talk about what you do and how - email me at [email protected]. You can also look at my duck boats - the hybrid duck boat web site has free plans.

decoy spread where we hunt.

dad w/ some ducks

The Hybrid NL version