The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 16, 2017, 07:03 AM   #51
2damnold4this

I sometimes have to force myself to wait. There was no need to wait on the first coyote but I thought there probably was on the second one. I took a drink of water and logged on to TFL to try and help me pass the time though I badly wanted to start looking right away.
Old October 16, 2017, 02:32 PM   #52
Lohman446

Carrying a handgun while hunting, in a situation where concealment is not of utmost importance, is one of the easiest times you will ever carry it. I see no reason not to. I too have used a .357 revolver to dispatch a deer after setting down my rifle. Tracking a wounded game animal, often done on my hands and knees, is easier if I can leave the rifle in my blind.
Old October 19, 2017, 10:40 AM   #53
Coppershot

I've hunted squirrel for decades in western Virginia with a .22LR and never carried a handgun. After seeing five different bears this summer I may carry one of my 44 mag.'s this year. The bears really want to stay well away from us, but just in case....
Old October 20, 2017, 03:52 PM   #54
Double Naught Spy

LOL, bears generally do want to stay away from us, except when they are preying on us, which does happen from time to time. However, the most common form of actual bear "attack" on humans is the surprise encounter where the bear reacts aggressively in self defense, inflicting (usually) a short duration brutal attack. Surviving is common, but hospitalization is almost always required.

Just something to keep in mind.
Old October 20, 2017, 05:03 PM   #55
rodwhaincamo

Indeed. Though there's been an uptick of problem bears along the Appalachian Trail targeting not so much the people but their backpacks looking for food.

Bear spray is by far the best form of defense. But I'd also want something else just in case as bear spray isn't 100% effective.
Old October 23, 2017, 02:36 PM   #56
carracer

Carry because you like it!
Old October 24, 2017, 11:00 AM   #57
amprecon

I always carry a pistol when hunting......anything. Rifles and shotguns can break and I don't want to be out there with only a broken long gun and a pocket knife.

We were headed down to the river once with our shotguns full of bird-shot for grouse and such, I had my 4" Ruger GP-100 on my hip. We happened upon a wild pig, which we had tags for, but not prepared to see. We ended up taking that pig home and cooking it up because of that GP-100, not because of the shotguns full of bird-shot.

We were woken up from a mid-day nap at the cabin by some armed mis-placed "hunters" claiming we were on their property. The long-guns were out of reach, but my GP-100 was under my pillow and in my hand during that "enlightening conversation".

Just sayin', I'll have a pistol on me always.
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old October 25, 2017, 06:42 AM   #58
Roaddog

I carry all of the time anyway so why would I not when hunting or just in the woods.It's just part of me and I would feal undrest without it,
Old October 26, 2017, 09:56 PM   #59
disseminator

I never used to carry while hunting. About 20 years ago, I was in the woods of Northern Minnesota and happened to come face to face with a really nice Whitetail Doe which I had a permit to take and so I raised my rifle and looked through its 25 year old Bushnell scope and all I saw was water.

It was cold and raining that day and the scope seals had failed and now my scope was all full of water, so I figured at such close range I could shoot her anyways..... Nope.

I was literally 40 feet away and broadside and could not hit that deer. After 2 shots I tried looking down the side of the barrel and missed two more times. She looked at me and went back to eating and casually walked away!

It changed me. ;-)

So yes I carry while hunting now. In fact it was hunting that caused me to get my carry permit so I could just keep the pistol on when we were driving and such.

In the last several years, there are a LOT of Wolves in Northern Minnesota. I have seen them in the woods and my buddy got stalked by one a few years ago.

He carries a 17 round 9mm in the woods now and got his permit for the same reason as I did.

I carry everyday and will always have my sidearm in the woods while hunting.
Old November 9, 2017, 03:43 PM   #60
TracerTesterman

Every. single. time.

I'm relatively new to hunting, five deer in I believe, but I'm paranoid enough to ALWAYS carry. And I don't feel comfortable without one.
Old December 1, 2017, 08:17 PM   #61
North East Redneck

Wish I could. Illegal to carry handgun while hunting whitetails. Mass has some strange laws.
Old December 1, 2017, 09:16 PM   #62
Kreyzhorse

I typically bring along my 44 Mag Vaquero. It's much handier than rifle if I need it.
Old December 10, 2017, 11:09 AM   #63
drbill

I’ve never carried a handgun when bird or waterfowl hunting. No need for it.
I’ve carried an S&W .22lr Kit Gun in the western states when big game hunting with the intent of using it for a head shot if I downed but didn’t kill my prey. Never used it.
Old December 12, 2017, 08:42 PM   #64
jackstrawIII

The only time I would ever carry a pistol while hunting is if I was concerned about packs of dogs... which sometimes applies in my area. So, I do occasionally, but not often.
Old December 15, 2017, 08:05 PM   #65
FairWarning

Yes, I carry my 686 .357 Mag and of course my hunter's knife.
Old December 16, 2017, 11:04 PM   #66
bungiex88

I always have a pistol on me while hunting. With frequent bear sighting in my back yard where I hunt I would not want to run into a cub and momma in the woods I hunt with only a rifle it can get pretty thick until I get up into a stand.
Old December 16, 2017, 11:06 PM   #67
bungiex88

Even when I’m small game hunting I carry a pistol just Incase of the bears. 12 gauge bird shot might only piss the bear off
Old December 17, 2017, 09:26 PM   #68
rodfac

I don't bother to carry a handgun here in KY on my own farm, but out in Colorado, when I had the legs, lungs, and energy to hunt elk, I always carried a .44 or .41 magnum. For me, dressing out an elk was a half day operation, working alone, then the packing out began, usually late in the day.

Carrying a 9 lb. rifle with each load out, then back to the kill site was more than I was willing to do. So I was in the habit of leaving my Whelen in the Jeep.

Then I found fresh bear tracks in my outbound trail in 6" of snow....100 lbs of fresh meat on my back and nothing in my hands...I found that 3 lbs of magnum in a 'tanker' type holster across my chest felt a lot better than the cold shivers I got up my spine when I saw that bear sign...

Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 17, 2017, 09:44 PM   #69
jamaica

Carry On

I started packing a Ruger single Six way back about 1957. Yes, it went everywhere with me. Later I got a 44 Spl in a Colt SAA. I built a double holster rig and used to carry both hunting and everywhere else I went where I could get away with it. I quit hunting a few years back but still pack a gun where ever I go. These days its concealed carry.
Old January 9, 2018, 10:22 PM   #70
Irondog54

Quote:
I carry all the time. Why is it an issue when hunting?
Exactly. It is easier than you think to get separated from a long gun.
Old January 10, 2018, 02:28 AM   #71
Danoobie

Here, in Florida, when you step off into the swamp, you're entering the food chain.
Having a pistol keeps you nearer to the top of it.
Old January 10, 2018, 02:39 AM   #72
shootniron

I always carry while hunting...or doing anything else.

There are more reasons to carry than there are not to.