The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 27, 2011, 09:43 PM   #1
seansean1444

rossi trifecta .243 for whitetail and?

wondering how good this gun would be for hunting whitetails is central ny where i am.. you have to use slug guns in my county but when i go to my friends property in the next county over and thought this would work ok for when i head over there.. any opinions and accuracy reports would be nice
Old November 27, 2011, 10:11 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it would. So long as it's accurate. The 243 is a fine cartridge for deer. With proper ammo selection, to distances well beyond the capabilities of "most" shooters.

However, and no offense, since you're asking about accuracy I have to assume you haven't used the gun? Never hunt with an untested gun. Tested by YOU.
Old November 28, 2011, 12:11 AM   #3
seansean1444

ya i havent tested it yet but i am.. i think pretty highly of my shooting capabilities ( i win quite a few local competitions) just hoping this gun will be accurate to 200 maybe 300 yards
Old November 28, 2011, 08:07 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Ah, ok. I don't see 200 yards being a problem for deer with virtually any modern rifle. I'd be surprised if it wasn't good enough for 300.
Shoot at 6" paper plates. Any range you can hit 10 out of 10 is good enough for deer.
Just make sure you don't pick a varmint bullet for deer.
Old November 28, 2011, 06:48 PM   #5
seansean1444

ya thats for sure. i bet some idiot goes out with 55 grain v-max bullets and trys 2 kill a white tail somewhere
Old November 28, 2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

That exact thing was recently reported in another thread.... 55gr 22-250 with handloads at starting load levels.

Good luck with your hunt. I've been hunting all around Cornell, Cayuga Heights, Lansing areas and am not having a year with lots of deer. Got my biggest buck ever though, so I can't complain.

Between Hanshaw Rd and Forest Home Dr, If you're curious.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8-pt.jpg (105.5 KB, 468 views)
Old November 28, 2011, 08:33 PM   #7
seansean1444

Nice one! glad to see somebody else on here that actually hunts the area that i do!! i hunt near nyseg on the north side of mount pleasant
Old November 28, 2011, 09:23 PM   #8
Doug S

Used a 243 with 95gr Winchester BallisticSilvertips to kill an 8 point buck today. It went less than 15 yards after being shot. First time I've used a 243 to deer hunt, but I wasn't disappointed.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old December 9, 2011, 07:00 PM   #9
Doug S

Shot a decent doe this morning. Dressed out at 110lbs. Another one shot stop for the 243, and the 95gr Winchester Ballistic Tip.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle