The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 29, 2017, 09:20 AM   #26
Longhorn1986

Just curious, Why do you hate the FNX? One of the reasons I bought one was a similar functionality to my 1911s. That said, that may be a consideration in your decision.

I'm 6'6" and 290# and can easily conceal either my 5" or my 3" 1911. As far as capacity, you could try and find a double-stack 1911 like an old Para or a 2011, but the price may not fall in your range.
Old November 29, 2017, 09:31 AM   #27
Jim567

After growing up with 1911s, then selling them and using Glocks and Sigs exclusively for the last 6 years --
Last week I held a 1911.
I was shocked how comfortable it felt.
Old November 29, 2017, 02:59 PM   #28
tallball

I have them both and wouldn't ever want to give up either one. They are both terrific pistols.

My advice to the OP would be get the budgeted money, then carefully and patiently shop for used pistols in good condition. The OP could probably find one of each in good mechanical condition for about the same price as just one or the other brand new.
Old November 29, 2017, 03:30 PM   #29
Equin

Can’t believe no one has said this yet, but what’s this “one or the other” option? Get both!

Seriously though, I don’t have a Glock, but am considering a Glock 34 just like you are. I do have a Colt 1911 and love it. It shoots fantastic, and I couldn’t be happier with it.
Old November 29, 2017, 07:28 PM   #30
t4terrific

Most of my guns are either Glocks or 1911’s.

1911’s are the coolest guns on Earth, and Glock 19/23/32 is the best (or most pragmatic) pistol on Earth.

That’s my take, like it or not.
Old November 29, 2017, 08:31 PM   #31
DukeConnor

Buy both, have fun.
Old November 29, 2017, 09:13 PM   #32
stephen426

Figure out your purpose for it. If you're going to carry it, get the Glock. I would probably go with a 19 or 17 due to size. I see no point in the long slide for carry purposes. If you are looking for a range toy, the 1911 is hard to beat. That does not mean they are not good defensive pistols, but you give up capacity and corrosion resistance that the Glock has. Some 1911s can also be finicky, which would not be ideal for carry. I own Glocks and 1911s, but I carry a Glock.
Old November 29, 2017, 09:53 PM   #33
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Have both---shoot both---like both

My Colt 1911 is the most accurate center fire handgun I own.
-------Metallica
Old November 29, 2017, 10:37 PM   #34
marine6680

You need to figure out a purpose for the pistol to really know.

For range use, a 1911 is the way to go. You can tune one up nice, and have a great range gun.

For concealed... of the two options... Glock

I would go with a g17 over a 34, the extra barrel length isn't needed, and it makes concealing a little harder.

If you can conceal a FS pistol, awesome... But a g19 is a better choice for most people for concealment.

I like 1911s a lot, great shooters... But I do not think of them as concealed carry pistols.

I don't subscribe to the notion that the manual safety makes the gun significantly safer than a Glock.

If the gun is in your hand, the 1911, is actually a bit "less safe"... If you use it (and the manual safety) as they should be... Meaning... If you draw a 1911, you disengage the safety as part of the draw. So now you have a lighter shorter pull trigger rather than a more DA like trigger on a Glock.

And holstering... I am of the mind that... If you are the type that would neglect to ensure your holster is clear before re-holstering your pistol... You are the type that will neglect to use your manual safety properly as well.

On top of that... 45acp, is not a superior cartridge to 9mm... And a double stack poly pistol gives you more rounds in the mag... More rounds in the same general size factor, is always better.

A 1911 may conceal a bit better for some people... But when it comes to full size, the difference is not very much I feel. Especially vs the other factors in favor of the glock for concealed carry.

And why the hate on the FNX?

I have gotten some trigger time on one, and found it a nice pistol.
Old November 29, 2017, 10:56 PM   #35
rwilson452

I have carried a 1911 all my adult life. The first 20 for uncle. Later on in life I decided to try a polymer I looked at Glock and they simply didn't fit my hand. I continued to look and got an XD. I'm a tad bit more accurate with the 1911 but I chalk that up to being more familiar with the 1911. The XD does come out a bit heavier with the 14 rounds.
Old November 30, 2017, 12:28 AM   #36
DHart

Based strictly on what you said about your interest, there is a Colt 1911 out there with your name on it. The Glock is a utilitarian tool (a good one). The 1911 is a tool and offers a bit more, as well. You understand what I'm saying, I'm sure.

For the money you want to spend, how about a nice Colt Commander?

Or a Series 70 perhaps?

It sounds to me like you're looking for more than a simple utilitarian firearm tool, you want something with style, history, and panache... that would be the 1911.

Last edited by DHart; November 30, 2017 at 12:34 AM.
Old November 30, 2017, 12:41 AM   #37
Hawg

Glocks work. I had one. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough and I'll never own another one. 1911 all the way and not some fat double stack with a rail either.
Old November 30, 2017, 10:52 AM   #38
vba

Well, I don't see where the Glocks and 1911's are that terribly different. One has a manual safety and true Single Action trigger yet I shoot both guns at the range one after the other and the bullets strike nearly the same place.

Granted my Les Baer is much more accurate than my G34 but for combat type shooting this difference is negligible.

So perhaps get a good 1911 first and sometime down the road get a Glock.
Old November 30, 2017, 10:59 AM   #39
Viper225

I have a G35 the Big Brother to the G34. I shoot defensive pistol with it mainly. It can be carried, but you will really need to dress around it. It is easier to shoot well if you are any distance from your target.
I just traded in my G27 for a new G23. I found the G27 just a hair small, and it is a little harder to shoot well than A longer sight radius/longer grip pistol. The G23/G19 to me are the right size for concealed carry. Plenty of fire power, and the right size to be Shootable.

I have owned numerous 1911's over the years. I am not sure I have had one continuous the last 45 years, but it would be pretty close to continuous. I like the 1911's pretty well. The full size steel version is a hair on the heavy side for most to conceal carry. With a high quality IWB holster and belt you can carry one just fine. The one I have owned the longest and my current 1911 is an older Colt XSE stainless with quite a bit of custom work. It is about as good as a 1911 gets.
You might look at a Commander. Less weight and easier to carry.

No mention of where you live. I live in a rural area. If I ever get in a shooting incident it will be no different than when I was a Deputy Sheriff. Help will be on the way. Mainly to help with the report details. More than likely the incident will be long over before help arrives. Where you live can make a huge difference on how much ammunition you feel you might need to carry.

For concealed carry you have a few considerations:
Do you plan to carry any extra magazines?
With a 1911 you will probably carry with 1 in the chamber and 7 in the magazine, Total 8.
With a G19 I would carry with 1 in the chamber and 14 in the magazine, Total 15.
Extra Magazines With the 1911 you will probably carry them topped off with 8 rounds each. With ONE Reload you have a total of 16 rounds, with TWO Reloads you have a total of 24 rounds on tap.
The Glock 19 spare magazines Topped off will hold 15 rounds each. With ONE reload you have 30 rounds, with TWO you have 45 rounds on tap.

With the G34 you can add 2 more rounds in the pistol and 2 more in each magazine.

This is where the Glock shines. With a Full Size 9 you will have double the ammunition on tap with the same magazine count as our 1911. The difference between 8 rounds in the pistol compared to 17 is something to think about.

The Glocks are modification friendly. Look up what you want to do on You Tube. With a couple cheap tools you can change sights yourself, and break the Glock totally down for cleaning or Trigger Modifications. Want an Extended Slide Release Lever? It will take less than 5 minutes, and under $20 to replace a low profile one with the Glock Competition model that comes on the G34. Want a longer Slide Lock Bar to take it apart easier? Probably $11 and again less than 5 minutes. Night Sights? I installed a TFO front and Black Serrated Back on my 23 in about 20 minutes.
Trigger work will require some research to not use parts that are not compatible. You can get the springs out of balance.

Doing much custom work on a 1911 will probably involve Money and a Good Gunsmith. You can change Sights, Grip Panels, and add a flat checkered Mainspring Housing and Magazine Well. But that is about as far as most can do at home.

Just some things to think about.

Bob
Old November 30, 2017, 11:14 AM   #40
rwilson452

One thing to consider with a 1911. They seem to get better with the more you shoot them. One gun writer said the 1911 is not fully broke in until you have 2000 rounds down the tube. I find it is time to replace the recoil spring about then. But it is smoother the more you fire it. They will eventually wear out after 50 to 60 thousand rounds.
Old November 30, 2017, 11:15 AM   #41
Ricklin

Range or Carry?

For the range, 1911.

For carry, Glock.

I like the extremely simple manual of arms of the Glock. I also like the long and heavier trigger pull for concealed carry and/or defense.

The Glock stays home when I travel on Business, usually to NY or Kalifornia so no bringing it with. My bride is a heck of a good shot. I really like the fact that the Glock is point and click.

Love the classic looks and the feel of the 1911, no question. The light single action trigger is a dream as well. I view that light trigger as a liability in a defensive encounter.
Old November 30, 2017, 11:31 AM   #42
rwilson452

Quote:
Love the classic looks and the feel of the 1911, no question. The light single action trigger is a dream as well. I view that light trigger as a liability in a defensive encounter.
The cure for the lighter trigger of the 1911 has two cures. either a stiffer spring or to me the best solution is, " Practice, practice, PRACTICE!"

I like the lighter trigger. I had a chance to shoot a Glock to the "New York trigger" Horrid is what I thought of it.

Add: I also shoot a lot of varmint rifles. They have a very light trigger. I have never had an ND with any of my firearms.
Old November 30, 2017, 12:29 PM   #43
rwilson452

I have always liked that quote from the late Col. Cooper, " If you need more than 7 from a 1911, you don't need more ammo. You need air support."
Old November 30, 2017, 12:57 PM   #44
DHart

1911’s satisfy that itch for something with charisma. I like ‘em. But I no longer carry them (much). For serious defensive purposes the M&P40 with 16 rounds of Federal 180 gr HST is what I would choose. And that’s what I carry most of the time.
Old November 30, 2017, 04:15 PM   #45
DM357

Boy, that's a difficult question that depends on a lot of factors. Are you okay with carrying a 40 ounce pistol on you, one that isn't going to be easy to take into more gun unfriendly environments? Are you okay with the lower capacity? Buying different magazines because a lot of lower priced 1911s can have issues with their stock mags?

If you are, it's awful hard to not smile when you hold and shoot the old girl. Heaviness aside, it carries very easily and really isn't that hard to conceal. All that said, a Glock is a heck of a weapon for pure fighting capability. The capacity you can get for a price lower than a 1911 is hard to beat. I will say that, if you're a bit picky on what you like, you might have to put extra money into the stock Glock that you might not have to with a mid-line 1911. By that I mean sights, trigger, etc. I've known some people to spend two or three Glocks worth of money to get theirs just the way they want it. Doesn't make much sense to me, but they aren't me and those aren't my guns.

Both are going to have consistent trigger pulls, which is a plus for anyone new or old to shooting. Both can be had in two very easy to find and less expensive to buy calibers. Both are going to have holster choices galore. In the end, it's gotta be what you believe is the right choice for you and the way you live.
Old November 30, 2017, 04:52 PM   #46
spacemanspiff

Glock / 1911

Wimpy wimpy wimpy / HEFTY HEFTY HEFTY

I jokes I jokes! I am a 1911 fan though. I know Glocks work and I have no reasonable argument NOT to buy a Glock, other than that I do not like their appearance. Aesthetics probably won't mean much when the time to use either is upon me.
Old December 1, 2017, 01:09 AM   #47
Danoobie

Oh, I'd get the cheap, crappy, ugly, plastic one with no safety, myself.
Old December 1, 2017, 06:02 AM   #48
JJ45

I agree with DM357, In the right belt/holster a FS 1911 carries concealed very well, despite the weight. First, although I own a couple, I don't like IWB holsters.

I don't own a Glock but I do have an XD9 4". In the same identical belt and holster, a Don Hume OWB pancake, the 1911 actually prints less because of it's "slab sides" grip and slide shape.

You can dress around almost any handgun to conceal it, but I have carried a FS 1911 under a loose T-shirt with no problem because of it's flatness. The much lighter LW Commander is one of the best concealable pistols if you want considerable power and a decent barrel length that you can shoot well

I don't buy the "range gun" thing for any handgun intended for SD...it either works for it's intended purpose or it doesn't.
Old December 2, 2017, 12:18 PM   #49
Oldjarhead

Since you have wanted a 1911 for a long time, I would say if you have around $800, you should. be able to buy a decent 1911. A Ruger , or a Colt. For carry, get the lightweight Commander. Remember one thing. If you are ever committed to using the 1911 as a concealed carry pistol, train, train, train. Practice , shoot in condition one. Round in chamber hammer cocked, safety engaged. Practice wiping the thumb safety off, when on target after drawing, then moving the safety up in locked position after firing, If you have rounds left. Practice that until it becomes muscle memory. You can always buy a Glock later. They don't have the resale value that a Colt has. They are less expensive too.
Old December 2, 2017, 12:40 PM   #50
jrkrace

I have both and to be honest, 1911 for me...I also have a Sig Legion SAO that is better than the Glocks and just shy of a 1911 if a double stack is your thing..

Tags
1911 , glock 34